March 29, 2024, 01:34:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Where are all the Spark Tutorials?  (Read 6544 times)

filmguerilla

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Where are all the Spark Tutorials?
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:03:55 am »
I'm a complete noob with programming drum machines and looking at the Spark user manual is explaining almost nothing to me.  I understand I can open a preset drum set, then change that drum set and save it as a new set with my own name.  I also understand how to scroll through the various preset patterns for that drum set.  But that's where my knowledge ends and I can't seem to go beyond that.  I've been looking for anyone online who has maybe done some comprehensive tutorials for kit creation, pattern creation, and song creation but there doesn't seem to be any.  There's just a couple token videos from Arturia on YouTube that don't explain anything to me.  I need to know how to:

1.  Create a blank drum set where I can load in the drums of my choice (either from a preset or a sample).  Do I have to start with a preset and modify it instead of starting with a blank set?
2.  How do I create and save my own patterns for my newly created drum set?  Once again, do I just have to change the preset patters with the sequencer and just save it like that?
3.  How do I create a song from my patterns?  On this I have no idea.  I tried to chain a couple patterns together and got nowhere.

There has to be some tutorials somewhere for all this.  Please point me at these.  Thank you!

filmguerilla

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Where are all the Spark Tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:31:29 am »
So...is this community dead or what?  No replies?  Are there just no tutorials anywhere for Spark?

Kwerker2009

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:37:45 pm »
Hello.
In Spark 2 software in the upper left corner - choose "New Project". Then click on "Studio" tab and click on "New preset_drumN" (N is a number). Choose a sound from the library.

If you want an own sample to be loaded on pad 1 - choose (click/highlight) "New preset_drum1" to the left in the Studio area (click between the two knobs). Check in the middle on the "Sampler" area and look for "Click to choose a file" (written in blue) and go to your own samples folder and choose - for example - a bass drum sample. Rename the preset to whatever suits you (look above "Parameters" in the area above "Sampler"). Click on "Main" and hit pad 1. You should hear the sample you've just loaded.

Then go ahead and do the same with every other "New press_DrumN". Save your new project.

Good luck and have a nice weekend.

Bo

Edit: Every "New Preset_Drum1" to "New Preset Drum_16" corresponds to the pads. New Preset_Drum 1 = Pad 1, New Preset Drum_2 = pad 2. For pad 9-16 you must push the button next to the select button in the software or on the hardware in order to hear those sounds.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:45:20 pm by Kwerker2009 »

Kwerker2009

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:51:09 pm »
Hello again.
You don't say what version of the hardware you use. I found some stuff on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwUkYDELW1A
Maybe some of the videos will help you to learn the software/hardware?

It's a great machine/software. If you get stuck just quit everything and start over again  ;)

Bo

filmguerilla

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:36:32 am »
Thanks for the help with creating my own kit, Kwerker!  I'm using the SparkLE controller with the newest version of Spark 2.  The video you linked to shows some great tips for tweaking sets, sounds, etc.  I still wish there was a super basic video, though, that shows how to create and save patterns with a new created set, how to chains those patterns to make a song, and how to export the entire thing to a DAW.

Kwerker2009

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:56:46 pm »
Thanks for the help with creating my own kit, Kwerker!  I'm using the SparkLE controller with the newest version of Spark 2.  The video you linked to shows some great tips for tweaking sets, sounds, etc.  I still wish there was a super basic video, though, that shows how to create and save patterns with a new created set, how to chains those patterns to make a song, and how to export the entire thing to a DAW.

Hi, you're welcome. I use the bigger CDM hardware and it's a little different from the SparkLE. I use the hardware to experiment with patterns.

If you click on "Sequencer" next to "Main" in the software you should see any changes you do on your hardware (buttons 1-16) in realtime in the sequencer window, depending on what pad/sound you have chosen.
Every pattern belongs to a letter and a number i.e. A1, A2... Choose A1 and write in some notes on your hardware or in the software (sequencer window) then select A2, write in some notes and so on.

Go to song and and select A1 and drag it to the first field below in the software. Drag A2 to the next position i.e. under A1 on the "strip" in the Song window. You build a song in "Song"-window. If you drag A1 four times under each other, then it will of course play A1 four times (in a chain).

I hope that someone with a SparkLE will make a video on the workflow. Or maybe Arturia could do the tutorials themselves?

Remember that you can't "break" anything (except from what you might have programmed and not saved it)! Just play around with the hard/software and if you get stuck - turn everything off and start again. I'm a believer in "learning by doing". I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain above (I'm not that good in English... but I try :-) .

I wish you all the best luck with this great hard- and software Filmguerilla!

/Bo
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:01:38 pm by Kwerker2009 »

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:17:35 am »
Have you taken a look at these?

Arturia Spark 2 Tutorial 1
https://youtu.be/gqp0toNX4-M

Arturia Spark 2 Tutorial 2
https://youtu.be/HUNb9KM2LE0

Arturia Spark 2 Tutorial 3