April 25, 2024, 07:22:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Multiple zero-values (which are not actual zero) in modulation matrix.  (Read 1703 times)

Bitflipper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Tweak it till it Hertz
When setting a modulation value in the matrix, there is no real zero, but in stead 2 'zero' values: -00 and +00 which are actual different values (can be heard when applying extreme modulation input).
Of course a zero would not be absolutely necessary - you can just switch of the modulation switch - but other then a true zero you would expect the first + or - value to be +01 and -01, not +00 and -00. When programming you need a value between -01 an +01 but this should be (just) 00.

Similar occurs with value of M1 - M4 Macro Knobs. Here it's a little different; since these buttons are continues there are more then 200 distinguishable values, while the display represents only 200 values (-99 to +99), but also here it's strange to see (and hear) different values for -00 and +00

It's probably a small 'error' that slipped in the early concept, and maybe hard to change now since it would affect already created presets.
I would appreciate however if in future release or instruments there would be only 1 zero value, this would make more sense.

(just a small thing; meanwhile I'm having a lot of fun with this great machine)

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
Hey !

This is actually something we've discussed quite a lot during development. At first you could reach the perfect zero easily because there was a "dead zone" around zero where moving the encoder did not have any effect.

But then when testing it in condition we found out sweeping the macro knobs from left to right made this little "step" at zero hearable and not very musical. It was thus decided to remove it for a smoother experience.

That being said, you can still set the knob to perfect zero by holding PANEL and moving the knob in question. Release the knob first, then PANEL to make sure you do not re-set it to another value. This applies to Macro Knobs, Master Cutoff and the Mod value knob on top of the Matrix.

Here is the cheat sheet of the different shortcuts contained in our FAQ in case you have not come across this before  :)

SoundRider

Yep ... a dead zone on the parameter knob of the matrix or the macro knobs would particularily kill the usability of "modulating" just this knobs by the matrix, which is one of the great features of the MB  8)

Bitflipper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Tweak it till it Hertz
Hey Vic-tor and SoundRider,

First of all thanks for the useful shortcut list. I knew some, but not all.
I agree totally that we must avoid a dead zone. It's just the interface (/translation/representation) of these values  to the display that's a bit annoying (2 different zero values).
Internally I noticed there are more then 200 values since the macro-knobs are continuous (Or at least seem to be, I noticed multiple changes in sound before a change in display value occurred). Makes sense of course with analog control. 
Understandable that you have to narrow this down to a limited number of values in the display, which can be stored.
However there would not be a big difference between 199 values (-99 - 0 - +99) and 200 (current situation). And again, it would (and should!) only be values in the display. Internally the matrix works as it should. Hope you know what I mean, it's just about logical interface, and no critic about the behaviour of the MB itself.

Thanks again for the feedback.

SoundRider

I think, your post can't be misunderstood as a critic. I have thought about your point. You are right in general. A display should be unambiguous. And from a pure mathematical angle ... "zero" is "zero" ... that's it ;)

But it could be not too bad that we have a "-0" and a "+0", why.

I have the impression that moving the parameter knob little to the right or left already changes the modulation but this is not shown by a change of value in the display. The display value seems to change, if the next LED in the LED-ring around the knob is fully on or off. There are some values "in between". With two "zeros" we can at least determine, whether we are a little in the positive or the negative direction.  ;)

Bitflipper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Tweak it till it Hertz
You've got a point there, especially since the internal resolution of some parameters seems to be higher then the values indicated on the display.
I wonder what the internal resolution actually is, and how this is stored in memory.
Also curious what's 'under the hood' of MB  ;)
OK, enough about zeroes, now it's weekend and plenty time to get tweaking ....
Haven't hooked it up to my modulars yet (the MB is so much fun itself) but already got loads of ideas  :D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines