April 20, 2024, 01:18:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connecting via USB  (Read 4132 times)

anj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Connecting via USB
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:36 pm »
Has anyone else had any trouble connecting their MB to computer via USB?  Half the time Midi Control Center says "Device not connected" even when it is connected directly to my computer via USB.  I would then have to reboot the computer to get it to recognize the MB.  Also... so far i have had zero success in using the USB as a midi controller unless a midi cable is attached.  Isn't the MB supposed to be able to control midi by way of USB?  So far, my DAW can recognize that it is connected but cannot control it unless there is a physical midi cable attached.

I want to incorporate the MB into my rig but my midi interface is maxed out and i need to be able to go in and out via USB.

Thanks for reading
Anj

VAU

Re: Connecting via USB
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:54:45 pm »
In the MCC you can choose Midi over  midi, usb or both

are you using mac ? (the following on your own risk:)

1.  you can check in the MIDI STUDIO 8 which you find in the "audio midi setup" (see for example here: http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/1603)

if an old unused USB device is blocking the USB connection. you coulc delete this then.
also you can delete the Matrixbrute, if you also can see it in there.

then reboot the Mac with the powered MB connected. By this it will be inserted in the midi studio again.

this helped me with a similar problem.

tipp 2.  open MCC first and connect the powered on MB then. 

tipp 3.  might sound stupid but sometimes it's the USB cable

good luck

anj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 01:48:28 am »
I am on a PC but thanks anyway.  :)
Cable is good, i replaced it first thing.  I see some other people are having trouble as well.  after i posted this i saw that i probably should have posted it over on the trouble-shooting page but anyway thanks for having a look.

Patate le mage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »
Hi anj,
as i mention in another thread, i have the exact same problem with my matrixbrute connect to the computer i use for music, on windows 7.
The MCC saw the matrixbrute but failed toconnect to it ( on the right part of the screen i have the " failed to connect" message )
On the same computer on ableton live i can use the midi capabilities of matrix brute as an input but not as an output, all that when matixbrute is connected in USB.
I have a laptop with windows10 and there, the MCC correctly function, but i don't use this laptop for music.
If i try to use midi with midi's cables i have no problem at all.

Riggar49

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:23 pm »
Same problem here - PC Win10. I noted I had quite a few programs open, Live, Reaper various other non musical bits. Re-booted PC so that only the midi control center was running connected fine. So may be other programs interfere.

SoundRider

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:42 pm »
Just an educated guess ... Windows 7 and earlier had a problem with too many midi drivers installed and/or activated. I don't know, whether this is the current state, but in those times it helped, to use a midi-driver tool and just kill all drivers, which would not be needed.

anj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 01:49:13 pm »
another annoyance with this is that when you open Cakewalk Sonar, the MB switches to local OFF by default.  It does this for my Moog Voyager as well but you can turn it on quickly via the Moog's menu.  Not so with the MB.  It seems you MUST be running the Midi control center to enable/disable the local on/off function.  Alternately you can switch the MB off and back on which will normally reset its default to "on."  It would be very convenient to have a 'hot key' or some such that would allow you to control that without having to open another program while Sonar (intensive resource hog as it is) is already running.

SoundRider

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:09:12 pm »
Wait ... there was a trick for keeping off Sonar to send this Local-Off command.

On

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=3&help=Playback.35.html

it says ...

"Local control

You should normally disable the Local Control setting on your master keyboard to prevent notes from being doubled when you play your keyboard. If you disable Local Control, your keyboard sends notes that you play to SONAR, which echoes them to the synthesizer, which plays them only once. When SONAR starts, you can have it send a special MIDI message that attempts to disable Local Control automatically. Most modern synthesizers respond to this message. If yours does not, you will need to disable Local Control every time you turn it on for use with SONAR.

To automatically disable all local control whenever you launch SONAR

1. In the directory where SONAR is installed, double-click on the TTSseq.ini file to open it.
2. In the [Options] section, add the line: SendLocalOff=1
3. Save the file and close it.
4. When you launch SONAR, it automatically sends a Local Off message to your keyboard."

Well ... I use it the other way around and set 2. to "SendLocalOff=0". Check it out and maybe it works for you too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:15:31 pm by SoundRider »

anj

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:48 am »
yes but I use Sonar to trigger backing accompaniment like bass and drums and I play the other instruments live.  Sonar is sending a local off message to my slave instruments that i do not want it to.  In particular only the Moog Voyager and the MatrixBrute.  Both of these are for soloing and virtually never are sequenced.  For that reason i need the local to remain on for those two instruments.  Maybe i can try your suggestion in reverse and look in Sonar's settings to see if i can disable it from sending local off commands.  I will let you know. :)
Thank you though for the detailed instructions on Sonar's local on/off function.

SoundRider

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 11:36:28 am »
You have to add this line

SendLocalOff=0

because it's not there in the file. It sould switch off the default, which sends the local-off automatically.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines