March 29, 2024, 07:41:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: looking for ideas of patterns etc to go in my live sets  (Read 2215 times)

DJRickDawson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
looking for ideas of patterns etc to go in my live sets
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:21:00 pm »
I'm looking for performance ideas for my live setup (not hardware)

I have a Traktor setup feeding decks into Ableton Live, and I have my BSP running extras, currently I just run an Ableton Live drum rack with it.

I do have audio realism's abl2 (roland 303 type vst synth) and various other vst synths (Sylenth, Massive, Diva, Spire, Z3TA+2, Hybrid, Loom,TyrrelN6, VacuumPro, Xpand!2, EightyEight 2), nothing externally generating sound.

I play uplifting trance

I have managed to get a decent but not overly amazing set going with the BSP

looking to get better patterns and to start including melodic elements or other things using the 2 mono melody sequencers in addition to drums.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: looking for ideas of patterns etc to go in my live sets
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:06 am »
There isn't really a library of patterns for the BSP, I'm not even sure how the sequences and settings are stored in MCC.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

DJRickDawson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:23:38 am »
I was meaning generic... like oldskool written down / typed / drawn, not as files to be used by the BSP

I don't mind manually inputting them... it'd help me learn.
buying a book even would be good if available?

smutek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 03:12:01 am »
I've had this book of drum patterns forever and sometimes will pull it down and enter some of them into my BSP.

https://www.amazon.com/Drum-Machine-Patterns-Leonard-Corp/dp/0881888877

Also, I ran across this post a while back - http://www.ethanhein.com/wp/2010/drum-machine-programming/

In the first sentence he links to a Google doc with more patterns.

Slightly OT, but, the guys whole blog is really interesting. He's a music professor at NYU and some other places. I also found a link to some free courses he helped create called Theory for Producers (https://soundfly.com/series/theory-for-producers) that's really helpful with music theory in general.

Hope that stuff is somewhat helpful. Personally I'd love to find some examples on sequencing the melodic stuff, particularly how people approach sequencing things like the Berlin School sound.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:54:05 am »
Ah, right.  Well every time I search eBay for "drum machine" I get a whole bunch of results for the same books.  "200 Drum Machine Patterns" and others, like the ones smutek has linked to.  Eventually, I was wondering around the 'net one sunny afternoon, when, low and behold, I came across a couple of them laying on the ground wrapped up in an archive file.  Can't remember how or where I got them, but I got them.  They are not bad, even though one of them was written by someone named Ray F. Badness! ;D  To be fair, Badness gets a good write-up if you do a search on him, right down to his choice of mullet-styling being okayed by mullet aficionados.

The last one I looked through had a good amount about the finer points of writing a drum pattern before presenting them and a step-by-step to building a song.  Stuff like that may seem obvious, but I've mentioned to a guitarist friend, who couldn't work out why his beats were too busy when it came to putting a bassline over them, that drummers only have two hands and two feet (he replied that some drummers only have one arm, smartarse ::) ).  He

Personally I'd love to find some examples on sequencing the melodic stuff, particularly how people approach sequencing things like the Berlin School sound.

I studied music theory at school, have played in a concert band and a rock band and I was hopeless at writing my own melodies, until I got drunk and messed up playing other people's music.  That's when it dawned on me, improvisation is a series of deliberate mistakes.  When thinking about that while programming a melody, I have better results.  I'm still better at playing than composing, but I'm not as bad any more ;)
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

DJRickDawson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:18 pm »
I'm fine with music theory.

maybe some of them would go in my sets, giving the live elements a very original feel to it.

I DJ and produce Trance music and everything except using Traktor for full tracks is in Ableton Live.
I have traktor outputs routed to Ableton Live, where everything is blended (pre-mixed like a production)
but I still DJ mix with full tracks

I was thinking along the lines of maybe techno, or some other electronic style to go with my Trance sets.

When I say Trance I mean Pure Uplifting type that I play.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines