March 28, 2024, 05:25:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: disable midi clock out?  (Read 6549 times)

littlem4tt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
disable midi clock out?
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:32:34 pm »
When I am using the Beatstep Pro with my modular synth the timing from the CV'a and triggers are spot on.  If I try and use the midi outs the timing of the midi out is erratic.

Is there a way to turn of the MIDI CLOCK from the output?    as this is not needed and rather bandwidth hungry.
Also is there a way to turn the Sequence data off as well?     in my case I would like only the DRUM SEQ to appear at the midiout.

I distribute midi clock from a SYNCGEN PRO to many things including an Oberheim DMX. What I was hoping to do was program the DMX parts on the Beatstep Pro using the free midi out.  That way I could program both analog and digital beats from the Beatstep Pro.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: disable midi clock out?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:26 am »
You can set the BSP to run from an external clock, either MIDI (din), MIDI (usb) or CLK (1pulse per step/dinsync24/48ppqn).  This is set using the button on the far top left of the unit.
The BSP won't send MIDI clock when stopped or paused.  To stop the data from any of the sequencers, use the "MUTE" buttons below the "KNOBS" button on each sequencer track.  This will most likely mute the CV and GATE outs too.
It can be also be set to send MMC only.  This *should* stop the MIDI sync data from being sent, but I can't remember what happened when I turned off the MIDI CC transport TX to avoid the cutoff on the Pulse from hitting 127 everytime I hit record, but I do know I had to turn that function back on so there is a good chance nothing worked without it.  You set the types of MIDI transport messages that it sends in the MCC software.

A MIDI filter would do all you are wanting to happen.  You can get MIDI filters in various forms.  Some MIDI controllers have filtering functions as do most MIDI patchbays/routers.  Filters will (generally) remove real time messages (transport and sync), notes, prog changes, sysex, system common (song position etc) or all events.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

littlem4tt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:14:46 pm »
you said 'It can be also be set to send MMC only.' how is this done?  I can not seem to find this anywhere.  Just this alone would be worth trying.

obviously I could put a filter on the midi out, however the idea was that the midi timing on the output might straighten up if the clock is taken out of that bus.
The other sequencers will be use to control the modular so i can't mute them.

In the old days, even with unitor 8's on a serial bus, squirting clock through them would affect the timing of the notes.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:51:44 am »
To set the BSP to send only MMC messages, you need to use the MCC software.  It's under the "transport" settings in the Global parameter pane on the right hand side of the application window.

Without some sort of smart merging, when combining MIDI streams containing MIDI timing code, the tempo rates will be combined and generally double the tempo.  I use a Kenton Merge4 which will take the first MIDI timing code it receives and discard any subsequent data until the first is no longer present.  My Akai ME80P does this too on it's Merge port.  MIDI Solutions has a similar system for it's MIDI merging products.

At the moment, I'm running the BSP on it's own tempo, not sync'ed to any other timing source.  The timing is all over the place, yes, but I'm pretty sure that when I was running sync from my QY700 it was way more solid, making me think that it will bypass the internal clock if set to sync to MIDI.  Can't really test right now.

I am looking at getting some sort of super solid timing device, like the ERM masterclock, or even the MIDIGal module (an expanded MIDIPal DIY kit) which can also function as a timing analyser that can show the exact amount of jitter a MIDI clock produces.

Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

littlem4tt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
Thanks for that, in fact in fact there is an option 'OFF' which takes out both CLOCK and Start/Stop messages.

This has indeed shown a difference in the timing of the midi notes sent out of the beat step pro.
It has improved and is almost in time.
The midi note falls in a range of 120-260 samples late.  If it was consistent it might have been workable.

I might try and bring to light the analog trigger inputs on the DMX (if I could find the right molex hehe)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:37:02 am »
Oh yeah, there is that setting, gonna have to try that as I'd resorted to using it as the master so all my devices had the same wonky accuracy as it.  I thought it was the heat affecting my QY700 when I really noticed the mismatch of supposedly synced machines.  I'm even thinking the Keystep's accuracy is far better than the BSP's....

This site has a list of MIDI timing jitter and latency for a huge number of devices.  It does have the BSP tested, but it's an earlier firmware, which is reported to be a lot better accuracy than what you have observed.  Maybe installing the older firmware might tighten things up?  Just need to check what will be broken in that version as the trade-off for the better timing (edit: it's the 1st update, so a bit will be missing compared to now!)

I've been using a drum track to trigger the well hated Rhythm Wolf with great results (after turning off the noise injector they call Howl, compressing the drum output and using my own distortion ;)).  Laying down a kick track running a Vermona Lancet Kick for simple rhythm, then sending the Wolf a trigger where I'd usually put a snare/clap, open hat/cymbal or woodblock/click to push it along and deliver me an event from a cue, more than merely syncing it and then changing sequence length and tempo division.  And dare I turn up the bass on that thing, downtune the hell out, turn the res, envelope and cutoff to zero while turning the decay on full, it has an actually room shaking sub sound that abruptly ends after way after anything else.  Program in some lost bassplayer notes on it and instant tripping dub reggae bassist trying to find the start of the round. 
I'm thinking of trying out the same technique with the Volca Beats, just I'm starting make a spider's web across my room....

I've looked at Electro-Harmonix's multiclock gate thingy in the past and recently peeked at it again, thinking maybe the clk timing accuracy might be higher and also run those pesky Korg and TI machines independently, but really sacrificing three gates still leaves room for an average analogue kit while some pseudo random percussion happens in between the usual beats.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:43:45 am by megamarkd »

FlavioB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:36:26 pm »
So finally - there is no way to disable MIDI clock out from the BSP itself?
F.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines