April 18, 2024, 04:46:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: inputting into Spark sequencer from daw soft synth?  (Read 3076 times)

BongSong

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
inputting into Spark sequencer from daw soft synth?
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:54 pm »
Hello,

I own the Sparkle drum machine for a few years now and pretty comfortable using the sequencer aspect of it. But I am wondering if its possible to input soft synths from a daw into the Spark to sequence? I am not sure if this makes sense so I will attempt to clarify below.

I insert a soft synth in my daw, lets say Analog Labratory. Hit record on the Spark hardware and when I play the soft synth, the notes are recorded into the Spark sequencer. So its basically the same thing when using the Spark, recording drum patterns in the sequencer, except instead of drum sounds, its note from a soft synth inside the daw.

This might be a strange request but I am completely blind, using a screen reader here in my studio. As one could imagine, a lot of the sequencer software/hardware is designed with sight in mind, and as a consequence, inaccessible. For example, the Maschine Jam. Its really designed for sighted users. I can't seem to find any software/hardware out there that will simply sequence soft synths. This is why I was thinking if there was a way to set the Spark up to do this for me.

This would be awesome because as stated earlier, I know my way around the Sparkle hardware, the buttons and knobs and such.

Thanks for any feedback!

James

Re: inputting into Spark sequencer from daw soft synth?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:07 am »
You can sort of do this, but you may end up having to do all sorts of midi remapping either with your DAW or in the spark plug in. You can use the spark sequencer to output to a different VSTI if you like, that is pretty easy to set up. I do this with another drum machine plug in, using spark to sequence and trigger sounds from the other instrument. I have never tried it with anything melodic, but i think it should work. What host DAW are you running?

biggator

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »
You can just use the Spark as a VSTi and ignore the sequencer section of it.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:31:42 pm »
I'd be curious how to trigger the rock kit preset from a Simmons SD9K kit.

I suppose I would just use the Simmons as the controller to input the midi data, then treat Spark like a plugin as I normally do.

Perhaps the only difference being that the Simmons is the controller when inputting drum parts rather than The Laboratory 49 controller.

Sound correct?
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:32:57 am »

I suppose I would just use the Simmons as the controller to input the midi data, then treat Spark like a plugin as I normally do.

Perhaps the only difference being that the Simmons is the controller when inputting drum parts rather than The Laboratory 49 controller.

Sound correct?

Theoretically yes!

Although as stated above you might have to remap some midi notes and you'll most certainly have to tweak sensitivity levels on the simmons.... can't see any reason why it shouldn't work though.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:24 pm »

Sound correct?

Theoretically yes!

Although as stated above you might have to remap some midi notes and you'll most certainly have to tweak sensitivity levels on the simmons.... can't see any reason why it shouldn't work though.

Thank you.

This is the most I've dabbled with any drum related plugin.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

BongSong

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:04:38 pm »

I am using Sonar 8.5 windows 7 64bit.

Could you or someone else provide step-by-step instructions on how I could set this up?

Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:40:10 pm »
I don't really know Sonar, but I'm on Cubase with windows. I will tell you my steps.

Open spark vsti normally. I usually make an audio track as well, route a send from the vsti there to capture the audio. Optional for your way of working.

Open another midi track. Use spark OUT as your midi input. Make it output to another drum machine vsti that is already opened. I use it with groove agent 4 for example.

Make sure channels all match and confirm that you are getting midi input from the spark. On THAT midi drum track, you may have to use a "custom map" (cubase lets me do this, It just remaps midi notes in a chart). You can hold ctrl or shift or something while clicking on a spark 2 pad in software to get a remap note option as well.

At this point, you should be getting sound. If you want spark sequencer and pad midi out, you have to go into spark prefs and enable those boxes. while you are there, double check the rest of your prefs in spark.

I basically do this when I want a more realistic drum sound, but I still like the seq and using the controller for laying down grooves. Your way of getting there exactly with Sonor, I do not know.

I have even ran both drum machines at once, for some extra crazyness.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines