March 29, 2024, 02:44:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connecting a Novation Circuit via Clock out  (Read 4112 times)

specito

Connecting a Novation Circuit via Clock out
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:48:10 pm »
Hi ALL,

I've been trying to connect my Circuit to BSP using the clock out (DIN mode) -> Circuit MIDI IN. I don't want to use the MIDI out for it, as I don't want to control anything in Circuit from BSP but the tempo. I set Circuit to auto sync but nothing happens. When I use the MIDI in, it synchronizes right away. I'm wondering if this is possible?

Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Connecting a Novation Circuit via Clock out
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:07:06 am »
Clock out is not a MIDI clock out.  It works on a voltage, whereas MIDI is digital.  Luck dinsync and MIDI use different pins and MIDI cable usually only have the 2, 5 and sheild connected, as I really can't imagine it's too good for a synth to cross-plug the two.  I moved some stuff around and replugged my MIDI cable into the clock out.  I use cheap din cables from an electronics store as MIDI cables.  They have all the pins wired.  Shit went weird and I really freaked out for a sec.  I turned everything off and on again which made things fine again, but it really left stains in my underwear.

If you want to sync your circuit to the BSP, you may need to split the MIDI signal somehow, like with a splitter box, then see if the Circuit has a way to make it ignore note data on it's in.  The other way is to set all your BSP sequencer's channels to one different to those you have assigned the Circuit tracks to.  If the Circuit has a THRU function, you can get away with not using a splitter and sending on the BSP data via the Circuit.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

reevus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:05:08 am »
I'm a little late to this thread, but am having a similar issue.  Basically, I'd like to have the Clock on the BSP sync to my Circuit.  The only "in" on the Circuit is a Midi In receptacle, and I have the Circuit set to accept clock in its settings.  The manual for Circuit says it accepts external clock with the settings I have, but doesn't really describe an incoming Midi signals that have to be split or whatever.  For what it is worth, the Circuit is also set up to receive Midi in as well (I think on Channels 1, 2 and maybe 10 - but that's another story).

Anyway, with the Midi Out on the BSP connected (via a splitter which is working sending signals to another synth as well) - nothing registers with respect to Clock on the Circuit.  The earlier comment implies that maybe the BSP Midi out includes signals other than Clock timing, and that maybe those need to be separated. 

Just seems like it should be a simpler exercise - plug in a Midi cable and go.  But - not!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:39:46 am »
The BSP doesn't send clock info constantly, only while it is running.  If you want to run your Circuit on the BSP tempo, you need the BSP to be running for the Circuit to run.  I'm guessing you've tried testing start/stop though, which should yield results to indicate there is some sort of syncing going on.
The only info that the BSP sends via MIDI is standard stuff; no sysex that may mess with other machines.  There is no reason for you to be filtering any info out for the Circuit to sync with the BSP.
MIDI channels should be beside this issue, but yes the Circuit has taken for itself channels 1, 2 and 10 (and won't let go of them until the end of the time!)
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines