March 29, 2024, 01:29:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Static noise when USB is connected  (Read 5147 times)

tomctomc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Static noise when USB is connected
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:41:45 pm »
Hi guys,

I have extremely annoying static noise coming out of the MatrixBrute Ouputs (L+R) when the USB is connected. I can actually "hear" the computer. For example when I drag a window on the display, I can hear static. If I minimize a window, I hear the static, when doublclicking an application, I can hear static (As if I hear the computer's HD working).

I actually had this with the MiniBrute as well so I think this is some sort of grounding issue that I can't seem to locate. anyone else experienced this?

My setup:
MacBook Pro 2011
RME FireFace 400
MatrixBrute outputs connected to the RME FireFace 400 Inputs, USB connected directly to the Macbook pro.

I tried to exclude the issue:
Disconnecting the power chord from the MBP, made the noise even stronger!
Replacing the USB cable -  did not change anything.
Replacing the computer: I also have an older PC with the RME drivers installed. I then tried to set everything up using that PC computer, there was much less noise, but still the noise was noticeable.

Eventually my workaround is to connect the MB via MIDI on the RME FIreFace, and use the USB only for making firmware updates etc...
I would love to use the USB instead of MIDI but I can't locate the problematic noise...

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tomer.

Anyone else experienced this?

BobTheDog

Re: Static noise when USB is connected
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:01:15 pm »
I don't get this issue with the MB or any other audio device I have connected over USB apart from one; a "Mod Duo" pedal where the noise was really bad.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M1QQBJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the Mod Duo and it was like magic, total silence.

tomctomc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:39:38 pm »
Thanks ! I will give that a shot and will let you know.

JWaltman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:43:26 pm »
Same problem here! Other synths I have on the same hub don't have this issue. Might be a thing to look into for a hardware upgrade. No biggie for me, I just connect it with midi to avoid the noise.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:06:59 am »
I don't get this issue with the MB or any other audio device I have connected over USB apart from one; a "Mod Duo" pedal where the noise was really bad.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M1QQBJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the Mod Duo and it was like magic, total silence.
That's something to think about - I may get one just as a preventive measure (or a similar device - from the product description that one seems to be limited to USB 1.0 speeds).

Will using a downstream hub work with these, so that it could be split for noiseless connection to to more than one synth, or might a hub spoil the low noise connection(s) again?

BobTheDog

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 12:44:35 am »
Yeah that ones usb1. Usb2 ones are more expensive.

I will give it a try with the MB tomorrow to see if it slows the midi, I'm guessing it won't as the comms between the midi app and the MB seems pretty slow to me.

BobTheDog

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:47:54 am »
Ok, just tested it with the MB.

Midi still works and the time taken to back up the presets stays the same at 1 minute 22 seconds.

artElect

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:15:36 pm »
that's a common issue (ground loop), when connecting synths with midi over USB. I have this with my Nord Stage as well with my Prophet 12. Strangely it doesn't occur with my MB...

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »
Hi guys,

artElect you're right this is a ground loop problem. Such problem is possible with any machine sharing the same ground.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
.......testing.......

tomctomc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »
Great news guys!

I purchased this USB isolator https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M1QQBJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it worked like a charm. The noise is gone.  :D

Thanks for your assistance!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines