April 24, 2024, 06:24:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can BSP import / export Satandard MIDI Files?  (Read 3707 times)

knolan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can BSP import / export Satandard MIDI Files?
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »
Hi,

Can BeatStepPro to import and export Standard MIDI Files?

I've contacted Arturia myself on this several months ago and it was indicated it'd be put on the feature list - but - I've just seen posts on this forum from 2015 with a similar query here and an indication by Arturia here that they'd "put it on the feature list"!

So the concern here is that Arturia aren't bothering with is feature and are just stringing users along with some generic answer?

Or - perhaps it has been acted upon and made available?

If not - Arturia - please make this a priority. Even as a separate little conversion utility. It would make the BeatStepPro HUGELY more useful, flexible and adaptable.

Thanks,
Kevin Nolan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:25:13 pm by knolan »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Can BSP import / export Satandard MIDI Files?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:38:22 am »
No, it has neither.  To export a sequence you need to record it with another sequencer.  Do import you need to play the data into the BSP as a regular sequence while it is recording, which could get messy considering the BSP is a step sequencer and so has a highest resolution of 8PPQN and will only run for 1 bar max in a full length pattern at that setting. 
I agree that being able to load a sequence from a different source would be good, with some sort of import way to decide how the BSP will translate the sequence (what step division and max pattern length, and whether to create new patterns if the sequence being imported is longer than 64 steps (which is more than likely).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:41:46 am by megamarkd »
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

knolan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 03:47:04 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

I#m new to the BSP so I'll stand corrected on any misconception I have.

Here's why I think importing from MIDI files is important:

1. You could create sequences FAR easier on a KeyStep - and then import them into the BSP

2. Overall, one could build libraries of personal / preset step sequences in a DAW, played in by any controller keyboard - save them as little MIDI files, and build them into projects for performance / use on the BSP.

Overall, creating sequences via Keyboard entry is FAR faster than by knobs - so having the ability to import small step sequences from other MIDI creation devices would significantly enhance the usage, management and integration of BSP.

Lenny

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »
@knolan, Instead of recording the KeyStep note data into the KeyStep's sequencer, and then sending that sequence data to the BSP, why not just record the KeyStep note data directly into the BSP's sequencer ?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:54:11 am »
Thanks for your reply.[/q]

You're welcome :)

1. You could create sequences FAR easier on a KeyStep - and then import them into the BSP[/q]

Hey that's a cool idea.  Again there is a little bit of logistics if you want to import a chord sequence, but that is way easier than the whole regular .mid file.  Just set a note priority for each sequence, the same way a monosynth deals with multiple note-on messages.

Overall, creating sequences via Keyboard entry is FAR faster than by knobs - so having the ability to import small step sequences from other MIDI creation devices would significantly enhance the usage, management and integration of BSP.

I also prefer to record my (shitty) playing when making sequences, though I also like to fine-tune using the knobs.  It's rather annoy, though, how the BSP thru's MIDI.  I can't remember exactly the problem but it's not a real THRU and can cause issue if you need all channels to be sent on the BSP MIDI out.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines