April 18, 2024, 11:17:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using Midi control center to manage your presets (undocumented stuff)  (Read 5079 times)

khidr

• Music is everything
There's something rather important that the Manual fails to mention. I discovered this by accident when I wanted to clear a whole row of presets to store my own new sounds.
I began to delete a sound using "panel->preset". Everything seemed to work ok at first; i got the initialised sound preset. But when I returned to this preset later it again contained the factory sound. Erasing presets only works on the bottom row of the matrix!
So:  If you want to use the other positions of the preset matrix you have to start a new project in the midi control center with empty presets and send this new project to the MatrixBrute.

Another thing, which is more of a feature not mentioned in the manual is that it is possible to copy sounds from one saved project to another. This makes sense only if your project is in list view mode;
  • suppose you want to copy a sound from project device_2 to project device_4:
    Select device_2
    select the preset you want to move
    drag it to device_4 and hover there until the list view changes to display the device_4 presets
    now drag your preset to a device_4 preset location and drop it there. In a similar way you can can drag and drop rows of presets from one project to another

The easiest way to collect and assemble a new project from existing projects is to create an empty new project and drag it to the matrixbrute (you did save you existing preset on the matrixbrute did you?) and then drag individual presets or rows of preset from the computer side to the matrixbrute. Once you're finished constructing your new preset collection recall it to the computer.

An interesting option that I intend to explore further is that is it possible to copy only the sequences over from MB to Computer and vice versa. In theory this enables you to start with a blank preset matrix and to construct dozens of different sequences that you can all test with one sound. Set the save mode option in the Midi control center to "sequence only" and you start building a sequence only library.

A question to people still working with an older firmware revision (mine is 1.0.1.108):  I seem to remember that an older firmware version allowed you to view which presets contained sequences and which did not just be pressing the patters knob when in preset mode. It seems to have disappeared when I upgraded.. anyone still have this option?

An option that I think should be included in the next version of the Midi control center is "renaming" projects. "device_2" and "device_3" ....it's all rather nondescript and vague. It does not give you a clue as to what presets or sequences a project contains. I tried to outsmart this limitation by exporting the project, giving it a nice descriptive name and then reimporting it. Nope...that does not do the trick; the midi control center will rename your project to something none descript again. Bummer.....
This makes it very hard to exchange saved projects with others or, as a sound developer to create new projects and sell them online.

-------------------------------------------------
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

BobTheDog

Re: Using Midi control center to manage your presets (undocumented stuff)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:59:55 pm »
Hi,

Don't you just need to save the initialised preset to the preset location using SAVE+Preset location?

khidr

• Music is everything
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »

Don't you just need to save the initialised preset to the preset location using SAVE+Preset location?
That's what I thought too....but if you try that on a matrixbrute freshly shipped from the factory it will only work if you save your new preset to the bottom row. You can't save to other locations that contain factory presets. If you want to save to other locations on the preset matrix you have to create an empty project first in the midi control center  and save it to the Matrixbrute.
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

BobTheDog

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 06:15:51 pm »
Mmm, it works fine here.

There is a switch on the back for memory protection of you have it set to "Off"?

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »
Hi !

I'll post my answer here as it covers the same questions :

Erasing presets only works on the bottom row of the matrix!
So:  If you want to use the other positions of the preset matrix you have to start a new project in the midi control center with empty presets and send this new project to the MatrixBrute.

It looks like your "Memory Protect" switch is still set to "On". If it's the case, all presets that are tagged as "Factory" can not be overwritten.

Another thing, which is more of a feature not mentioned in the manual is that it is possible to copy sounds from one saved project to another.

True, this is something that could be added to the manual. Will look into this being done. I believe this feature is explained in the tutorial video though :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnvxvHg67U

I seem to remember that an older firmware version allowed you to view which presets contained sequences and which did not just be pressing the patters knob when in preset mode. It seems to have disappeared when I upgraded.. anyone still have this option?

I have ran a fair share of different firmware versions during testing and I do not remember seeing nor knowing about this feature being implemented. I may be wrong though ! Anyway this could be interesting to have, I'll make sure it is listed on our side.

An option that I think should be included in the next version of the Midi control center is "renaming" projects. "device_2" and "device_3" ....it's all rather nondescript and vague. It does not give you a clue as to what presets or sequences a project contains.

It is actually possible to rename a project !

Select the project you want to rename, and then double click on the textbox that displays the name of the project (see picture enclosed), you'll be able to change the name

Hope it helps !  :)

khidr

• Music is everything
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:14:43 pm »
Hi !

I'll post my answer here as it covers the same questions :

Erasing presets only works on the bottom row of the matrix!

It looks like your "Memory Protect" switch is still set to "On". If it's the case, all presets that are tagged as "Factory" can not be overwritten.

Hi Victor,
I checked, and my "memory protect" switch is set to "off" Strange but true.....I turned it off the minute I received my MatrixBrute (and after creating a backup of the factory patches...I 'll check again, to see if I can repeat this behaviour.

An option that I think should be included in the next version of the Midi control center is "renaming" projects. "device_2" and "device_3" ....it's all rather nondescript and vague. It does not give you a clue as to what presets or sequences a project contains.

It is actually possible to rename a project !

Select the project you want to rename, and then double click on the textbox that displays the name of the project (see picture enclosed), you'll be able to change the name

Hope it helps !  :)

Khidr: Thanks for responding. Good to hear it's possible to rename a project...it certainly helps...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:16:25 pm by khidr »
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29:13 pm »

I seem to remember that an older firmware version allowed you to view which presets contained sequences and which did not just be pressing the patters knob when in preset mode. It seems to have disappeared when I upgraded.. anyone still have this option?

I have ran a fair share of different firmware versions during testing and I do not remember seeing nor knowing about this feature being implemented. I may be wrong though ! Anyway this could be interesting to have, I'll make sure it is listed on our side.

Is this related to the "Feature requests - Making better use of the color options of the matrix"- thread? If so, I'd like to reiterate the suggestion of "When the Pattern/Save buttons are held, it would be useful if the linked-to pattern's button, if any, is lit in another colour (maybe it is(?), but the manual doesn't say)."

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines