April 19, 2024, 11:55:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep and Korg Volcas  (Read 15321 times)

AlienableTone

Keystep and Korg Volcas
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

Noob alert! First post in this forum (Hi again), and super new to production.

I just got the Keystep as I needed something to better control my Volca Keys. I've got the Midi Out of theKeystep going into the MIDI In of the Volca Keys, and this works just fine.

BUT... No arp. Nothing. Nada... And no idea why... I tried different configurations of the clock on the keystep, even used a cable to get the Key Step Sync out to the Volca Sync In (and vice versa), the only thing I was able to do was to get the Keystep to trigger a sequence within the Volca... I haven't touched any setting on the Volca or the Keystep, both are pretty much on their default settings. MIDI is a very obscure thing to me (although everyone seems to agree that it's super easy to understand), I just don't have a good grasp on the logic just yet...

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here, which is why I'm coming to you guys.  ???

What I'd like to do is use the Keystep as a controller for the Volca Keys, using the KS's keyboard, and using its arp and sequencer (I'd like to program my sequences on the keystep and not on the Volca Keys). If someone can help me get my head around that, you will receive my eternal gratitude and I will name the first track coming out of this setup after you (or your pet if that's your thing).

Thanks!
AT

Jos

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Keystep and Korg Volcas
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:05:22 am »
Very basic question, but you didn't forget to press play on the Keystep did you? When you press play, does the tap button flash with the tempo or is the play button flashing quickly?

Other than that, I don't know. You don't need the sync cable if you're just using those two devices, if you put the Keystep on internal clock the MIDI cable is enough to send clock to the Volca. Maybe you accidentally changed the settings of the Volca to use internal clock? Is the sequencer on the Volca cleared (if there's a sequence ready it will start playing when you press play on the Keystep, which would interfere with the arpeggiator)?

papoon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Keystep and Korg Volcas
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:32 pm »
Hi

I just tried with my volca fm and keystep. I do not have the volca keys and I am not familiar with it. Having said that, on the volca fm I had to go to the arp knob and turn on the arp function and set the time division once i did that it worked from my keystep.

If not I am wondering can you use the arp on the volca it's self, if so then hooking up midi to the volca should work for you.
How is the keystep (dip-switches) set up on the back.

My example above is as follows- keystep dip-switches set to midi- midi out to volca FM-  arp function turned on from arp knob and on keypad- press keys on keystep and arp plays.

hope this helps, let us know.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:17:57 pm by papoon »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines