March 29, 2024, 08:11:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Chaining patterns problem?  (Read 1843 times)

papoon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Chaining patterns problem?
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:11 am »
Kind of embarrassed as I post this, had the BSP for over a year and just tried to chain patterns tonight for the first time. As I did this I noticed something strange. First my method as per the manual and watching the Arturia video tutorial - hold shift and the desired sequencer button-input the pattern chain( in my case 1x4 2x4 1x8 2x4 1x8 2x2 3x2 1x8 2x2 3x2 1x16). It did chain to some degree but it seemed to omit pattern 3. so I tried different combos and was able to chain pattern 3 but other patterns were erratic. Cycled power to unit and tried again still wonky. Manually changing the patterns has no issues and works fine.
   One thing I did notice though is as I was inputting sequencer 2 I noticed at some points note values would display on the LED for example E3 would appear and C1 as I was creating the chain. Not sure if it has any bearing but thought I would mention it.

So to conclude the chaining did work but would leave out certain patterns after several tries including after powering down. I had a total 3 patterns and it seems to leave out pattern 3 even though it was inputted.

I hope it is me missing something obvious or doing something dumb but it seems like a straight forward process, any ideas what is going on.

my unit is updated with the newest firmware   

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Chaining patterns problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:23:48 am »
You can only chain 16 patterns, your listed chain is 44 patterns long.  Can't remember what happens when you go over 16, I've been doing little lists before I program a chain so I can visualise what I'm punching in before I do it, as well as keeping a tab on what the chain currently running.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

papoon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply, ok, so that makes sense, I did not know there is a limit. Very good to know I will check it out today as I have some time. At this point I wonder if the bar length will matter meaning 16 x 1 bar or can it do 16 x 4 bars but either way thanks again man, now I know what was going on  ;D

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:10:54 am »
The limit is sixteen patterns, but the pattern length can be one bar, or four bars, or whatever length.  Changing the step rate to increase the actual number of bars the pattern runs for can increase the total time for the chain, though does mean "lively" melodies will not be so "lively".
I've chained up patterns with step counts that are odd numbers for each sequencer and made some very messy polyrhythms.  That is where noting down more than just the pattern number is helpful.  I've even thought about making up a chain grid to mark out where everything is going to fall and create some nice interactions with the pattern being different lengths before hitting play.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines