April 23, 2024, 05:55:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP <--> TR-808 sync successful  (Read 2209 times)

federico.gori

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BSP <--> TR-808 sync successful
« on: January 01, 2017, 04:57:54 pm »
One of the features of BSP that convinced me to buy it was the ability to synchronize my TR-808 via DIN sync.

So once had in hands the BSP, I immediately tried to synchronize it with the old analog beast:
(DIN sync adapter + MIDI Cable + Clock In/Out Settings to 24ppq in MCC)

BSP (sync int) --> clock out --> TR-808 (sync in)

Pressed play on the BSP and...yeah! The TR-808 started at the same time!

So I tried to program a synth line on the sequencer and...what?? It wasn't the same tempo of the TR-808 but slower, dammit!
The BSP display said 97 bpm...mmm...the TR-808 as stand-alone was set to a tempo of about 120 bpm, how was it possible?

I tried to change tempo with the knob on the BSP...changed also on the TR-808, but it was slower in the sequencer anyway.

So I tried setting the TR-808 as master:
TR-808 (sync out) --> clock in --> BSP (sync clk)

No way, tempo on the TR-808 was faster than the sequencer on BSP.

After a few hours of googling, I finally found the solution:

(Roland TR-808 sync issues. Please Help...)
"For me the sync issue was in the PRE-SCALE function on the 808. A lot of people don't know how to use this write because this is one of the many idiosyncrasies of the 808. With the sync on output, set the selector switch to 1st part. The set pre-scale to the 3rd position. Press start and let the pattern play. Press the red button while your pattern is playing. You should notice that the pattern changes tempo slightly. Now you're in 4/4. Stop. Change back to input. Sync up. You're good to go. Hope this helps some people out."

YES!! BSP and TR-808 now are perfectly synchronized together!! (as master or slave)

I hope this experience can be useful for other BSP + TR-808 users.

Ciao.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines