April 26, 2024, 01:36:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Problems with kick 2 level? Transients / noise  (Read 6428 times)

basicnyc

Problems with kick 2 level? Transients / noise
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:16:13 am »
Hi - I just got my drum brute and I've noticed that when I adjust the level on Kick 2, I hear some slight transients and faint distorted echoes of the kick while I turn the knob. once I stop moving the knob, I don't hear it. This seems to the the only sound I hear this on.

has anyone else experienced this? is there a problem with my drum brute?

t2i

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Problems with kick 2 level? Transients / noise
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:35:34 am »
Yep, same here.

Static noise when turning Kick 2 Level Knob between 2-5 o'clock position while the voice is sounding. Subtle, but quite noticeable when Kick 2 is soloed.

Turning LP filter cutoff < 11 o'clock position eliminates the static, but not an overall solution for obvious reasons.

Everything else works as expected.

Running 1.1.0.0 firmware.

t2i

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:42:51 am »
See .wav linked below for audio demonstration. Kick 2 Decay set to max. 3 examples, Pitch knob set to lowest, mid, then highest. Filter bypassed. Only activity is fading the Kick 2 Level up and back down.

https://www.expirebox.com/files/c423f219fae284a8d6eda698961af0d6.wav

basicnyc

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:47:37 pm »
yep - that's the issue on mine as well. very annoying.

studio-kiel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 03:09:14 am »
same here :-/

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:39:36 pm »
Hi all, I spoke to Arturia about this and they have said it is totally normal  and that other analogue machines do this but it depends on there harmonic content.  So this is not an issue or bug. Hope it's not causing you issues'as i have had the DB for some months now and i never need to use the volume knob in a recording session.

Regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

t2i

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:36:36 pm »
Hi Terry,

Thanks for looking into this.

Since this is "normal" - Could you please confirm that Arturia is saying that every drumbrute in production behaves this way by design and this is not unique to just a few machines?

If it is just a few machines affected, that would likely indicate an "issue". I demoed the DB extensively in store before purchase and I do not recall the demo unit having any crackle on any knob. Made a point of testing every knob on it.

Am I correct in understanding this is being passed off as expected behaviour & part of the "analog charm"?

Quite frankly, I don't care how you use your machine. I plan to use it live, and fading parts in and out/subtly adjusting levels using the volume controls is a large part of how I intend to use it.

I really enjoy this machine and this has been the only complaint I've had. Hopefully Arturia has learned a thing or two about customer service since the Minibrute quality control fiasco a couple years back and will look into this rather than being immediately dismissive. 

Attaching the audio example to this post as other link will expire soon. Used an expiring link as I'd anticipated a resolution within 48 hours... Well, tried anyways, got error message stating "entity too large" after the file uploaded. File is 1790kb, less than the alloted 4096KB. 

Again, thanks for looking into this.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 09:57:02 pm »
Hi Terry,

Thanks for looking into this.

Since this is "normal" - Could you please confirm that Arturia is saying that every drumbrute in production behaves this way by design and this is not unique to just a few machines?

If it is just a few machines affected, that would likely indicate an "issue". I demoed the DB extensively in store before purchase and I do not recall the demo unit having any crackle on any knob. Made a point of testing every knob on it.

Am I correct in understanding this is being passed off as expected behaviour & part of the "analog charm"?

Quite frankly, I don't care how you use your machine. I plan to use it live, and fading parts in and out/subtly adjusting levels using the volume controls is a large part of how I intend to use it.

I really enjoy this machine and this has been the only complaint I've had. Hopefully Arturia has learned a thing or two about customer service since the Minibrute quality control fiasco a couple years back and will look into this rather than being immediately dismissive. 

Attaching the audio example to this post as other link will expire soon. Used an expiring link as I'd anticipated a resolution within 48 hours... Well, tried anyways, got error message stating "entity too large" after the file uploaded. File is 1790kb, less than the alloted 4096KB. 

Again, thanks for looking into this.

Hi,

From what arturia say I'm guessing its on all machines including mine which was a preproduction model, As they can also hear it  on there machines.They did say other drum machine do the same like the vermona . 

when i tested my machine i can also get this distortion from kick 1 and the toms if the pitch is set low.

Ill look into this more and let you know

Terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

t2i

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 02:11:11 am »
Thanks Terry,

Just want to note that none of the other voices on my DB exhibit similar behaviour. All of them fade completely static/crackle free. The issue exists only on kick 2 level in a very specific range and occurs regardless of the pitch/decay settings. It is not a overdrive/clipping circuit type effect, which I can achieve on the other voices with the (in)correct settings. If you'd like me to resend the example file I posted so they can actually listen to it, please provide an email I can send to.

As for other analogue gear having this issue. I've used a wide range of hardware over the last 20 years, repaired gear for the last 10, and the only time I've encountered a similar sound is with dirty or worn potentiometers. A bit of deoxit/lube usually clears it right up, but I'm hesitant to do anything like that as I've had this less than a week.

If this is/was common to this voice on all devices, I'd think the EEs at Arturia would have used a simple RC network as a passive low pass filter to eliminate the offensive high frequency "harmonic content", especially on a sine sub/kick.

The harmonic content explanation is rather condescending as kick 2 is the one voice that ought not have any additional harmonic content no matter the pitch given its output shows up as a pure sine on my scope.

This is more of a little annoyance than a huge issue, but denying it exists doesn't do anyone any good here. Is there someone from Arturia tech that could address this directly?

EDIT:: Had a chance to play with the DB for a few hours tonight. Played a lot with the Kick 2 Level and the scratching seems to be fading away with use. It is now confined to btwn 3-4 o'clock (rather than 2-5) positions and much quieter than it was initially, barely happens turning clockwise, fainter but still noticeable anti-clockwise. Fingers crossed that the trend continues and this sorts itself out! 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:39:36 am by t2i »

CHFMN

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 06:38:30 pm »
The answer to this has already been addressed here:

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=89460.0

If you layer any 2 low frequency sounds on top of each other in any piece of audio equipment, it will either either distort or clip. Just adjust the decay time. And yes all drumbrutes behave like this.

t2i

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 10:42:38 pm »
Nope!

Not layering anything. Happens with the kick2 soloed ONLY WHEN ACTIVELY TURNING the level pot WHILE THE VOICE IS SOUNDING. It does not make the crackle/static noise if the pot is not being adjusted. The fact that it is somewhat intermittent (seems worse when machine is cold) and confined to a very specific range of motion (which seems to be diminishing with use) suggests a poor connection btwn the contact and wiper inside the pot itself.

FFS, it's not a huge deal, but it is happening. The level of denial here is almost comical!  ;D

CHFMN

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 11:40:08 pm »
No one is in denial as far as I'm concerned. That's actually quite harsh when I'm only trying to help a fellow db user like myself. Have you owned analog drum machines before? Analog is quite different from digital as far as being "perfect". Analog gear needing to heat up a few minutes to sound better is perfectly normal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:42:12 pm by CHFMN »

t2i

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 07:20:10 pm »
Have you owned analog drum machines before?

As for other analogue gear having this issue. I've used a wide range of hardware over the last 20 years, repaired gear for the last 10, and the only time I've encountered a similar sound is with dirty or worn potentiometers. A bit of deoxit/lube usually clears it right up, but I'm hesitant to do anything like that as I've had this less than a week.

Read the thread.  :D

That's actually quite harsh when I'm only trying to help a fellow db user like myself.

All I've done here is provide Arturia with feedback - that some of the pots from their suppliers may not be up to their standards. If you think that's harsh then idk what to tell you other than "don't get into public speaking." If you want to help, read and understand the issue rather than linking an unrelated topic. All that does is add noise to the conversation.

CHFMN

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
All I've done here is provide Arturia with feedback - that some of the pots from their suppliers may not be up to their standards. If you think that's harsh then idk what to tell you other than "don't get into public speaking." If you want to help, read and understand the issue rather than linking an unrelated topic. All that does is add noise to the conversation.

The link I posted was 100% related to your issue. Spare us all the attitude, please.

flarenut

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 03:14:14 pm »
Anything further on this? I've come across the same problem with vol on kick 2. Nothing to do with distortion its a crackle in the pot. It occurs when pot is between 1-5. At the point of returning the product as its unusable in a live situation

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines