March 28, 2024, 03:04:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to sequence Volca Bass oscillators independently w/ BSP  (Read 3632 times)

thisbillisbrown

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to sequence Volca Bass oscillators independently w/ BSP
« on: December 23, 2016, 01:11:44 am »
New to MIDI, trying to learn the BSP – I have a Volca Bass connected via MIDI to my Bet Step Pro.

On the Volca Bass itself, you can sequence each oscillator independently, running 3 separate 16-step patterns/melodies at the same time.

Is it possible to do similar using the Beat Step Pro? I have a 32-step melodic pattern I want VCO's 1&2 to play, and another 16-step pattern for VCO 3.

I have the BSP's sequencers' MIDI channels set to match the Volca (Channel 2), and can run patterns from either sequencer, but can only get all three oscillators to sound at once.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

I'm theorizing I have to use the BSP's Sequencer 1 for the 1st idea, and Sequencer 2 for the other.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: How to sequence Volca Bass oscillators independently w/ BSP
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:28:28 am »
That comes down to whether you can assign the OSC's on the Volca to be controlled by incoming midi notes (or velocity data) on different channels.  If not you will need a MIDI data processor like that made by MIDI Solutions, that can take incoming notes (or velocity data) and substitute them for CC's or sysex, though this is reliant on Korg's MIDI implementation.

Okay, I've quickly looked up the "manual" (read as "McDonald's Tray Liner") for the Volca Bass along with their sysex info and you are going to have to get a MIDI processor of some description if you want to play the individual VCO's with the BSP.  This is not surprising considering the way synths work.  The only synth I own that I can sequence the VCO's independently of each other on is the DSI Evolver, which has 4 step sequencers for that exact purpose though those values never leave the Evolver.  No other synth I own, not my Pulse(s) nor my M1, not even my Tetra can have the VCO's sequenced with only a regular MIDI note sequencer.  Korg have had their 'motion sequence' concept for years now, so I'm not really that surprised that it's a non-MIDI controllable feature....
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

thisbillisbrown

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 04:34:47 pm »
Thanks so much for the input, never even heard of a MIDI processor – I won't put it on you to educate me :)

Regardless, you've saved me a lot of wasted time. I thought that because I saw independent numbers in the VBass' next to each VCO – what's the term for that number, 'control message'? – that it was just a matter of assigning said number somewhere/somehow on the BSP. I'll figure something else out from here :)

THANK YOU!!!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 12:02:30 am »
You're welcome.
I need to keep reminding myself that just because I don't use them, doesn't mean they don't exist (PC's for music that is).
You can pull off the OSC sequencing if you use MIDIOX on a pc.  It can do event mapping, where you assign data to be substituted.  So it would be a matter of setting a mapping where notes on channel 1 were changed into CC44 (or whatever the VCO1 CC is), velocity on the same channel changed to CC45 (setting the velocity as note values), which leaves you with the second sequencer free, but anchors you to a computer.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines