April 20, 2024, 03:31:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Drumbrute-Midi Control Centre (MCC) Issues  (Read 10543 times)

Ranxerox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
[SOLVED] Drumbrute-Midi Control Centre (MCC) Issues
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:26:04 pm »
I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.
MCC version is 1.5.1.882.
Drumbrute firmware is 1.0.0.

I have the device connected via USB, my cable and ports are all good (my workstation is a clean machine with all updates and no viruses).

I'm continually getting the software error: "Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application."

The device is not in use by any other application. No other applications are open.
After failing to open the device, MCC then tells me a new version of the Drumbrute firmware is available (I thought it couldn't open the device?? Error message inaccurate??).
When I try to upgrade firmware it says switch the device off and on again, which I do - the Drumbrute goes into 'upd' mode.
But then MCC goes back to telling me "Failed to open the device" again and fails out of the upgrade procedure.
At least this defect doesn't brick the Drumbrute.

Can someone point me towards a software patch for MCC to fix this - I want to actually use the Drumbrute with my DAW.

I work in software development. Whichever support person at Arturia reads this, please tell your bosses they should immediately attend a beginner's course in test-driven development for dummies. Please, for all our sakes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:28:08 am by Edouard_Arturia »

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
[SOLVED] Re: Drumbrute-Midi Control Centre (MCC) Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:45 pm »
Hi , ill try to help you.

First turn off drum brute . Then open the mcc  tab down so you see drum brute from the menu near the word device .
Next while holding down REC/STOP/PLAY. turn drum brute on . your machine should show UPD. right?
On the mcc it should say boot loader detected.
press ok to get another window about an update is available . press update to download the fw.
press install

wait till finished and you should be updated

let me know how you get on

Terrym
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:27:38 am by Edouard_Arturia »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Ranxerox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Drumbrute-Midi Control Centre (MCC) Issues
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 02:36:12 am »
First turn off drum brute . Then open the mcc  tab down so you see drum brute from the menu near the word device .

Yes

Next while holding down REC/STOP/PLAY. turn drum brute on . your machine should show UPD. right?

Yes

No - I get "Firmware Update Error - Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application."

press ok to get another window about an update is available . press update to download the fw.

Nope - see above.

The problem seems to be with MCC handshaking with the device - it keeps losing the USB connection. I've tried many times, restarting computer, Drumbrute etc. in all possible combinations.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:01 am »
Hi

- If you face this issue on Windows, this is probably bexause mutliple application using MIDI are using the same device.

Wheareas Windows is not able to manage mutli-MIDI client.

-> Close all your Midi apps (DAW, Monitor etc..) anything that may require access to your device and try again.

- If you face this issue on OSX, This should be helpful:

=> https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/midi-control-center-fail-to-open-the-device-on-mac-osx

If the issue persists, please try a Windows computer.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Best Regards

Edouard
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:07:57 am by Edouard_Arturia »
DGDGDGDGDG

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 12:34:52 pm »

Yes

Yes

No - I get "Firmware Update Error - Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application."

Nope - see above.

The problem seems to be with MCC handshaking with the device - it keeps losing the USB connection. I've tried many times, restarting computer, Drumbrute etc. in all possible combinations.

Ok , one other thing to try is before you update the firmware unplug the usb and plugging it in to another port  . does the mcc see the drum brute?

Im guessing the update driver is not seeing the port in windows . give it another try it may force it if you try different usb ports

Terrym
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:42:38 pm by terrym »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

lonkero

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »
Not a windows only -related problem, I have the exact same issue here, on OS X.  So frustrating, I only want to setup the midi notes off.  Is there a hardware-route to drumbrute only sending clock, play, stop and rec?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »
Not a windows only -related problem, I have the exact same issue here, on OS X.  So frustrating, I only want to setup the midi notes off.  Is there a hardware-route to drumbrute only sending clock, play, stop and rec?

Firmware issue?  in OS X just delete the 2 drivers in audio midi setup in utilities
TerryM

Ranxerox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 06:10:31 pm »
Ok , one other thing to try is before you update the firmware unplug the usb and plugging it in to another port  . does the mcc see the drum brute?

Im guessing the update driver is not seeing the port in windows . give it another try it may force it if you try different usb ports

Terrym

I've tried switching to different USB ports on my computer, but it still presents the exact same error.

Frankly, given this is a cross-platform issue (with the OSX fix involving driver deletion), it seems likely this is a problem with the Arturia USB driver and Drumbrute. Is it something you can raise a ticket for in the defect queue and test independently?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »
I'm not a window user but maybe see if you can delete the drivers in your windows system

TerryM

Ranxerox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 02:42:14 pm »
I'm not a window user but maybe see if you can delete the drivers in your windows system

Windows 7 sees the Drumbrute as a standard class-compliant USB audio device. Uninstalling the driver wouldn't make sense unless Arturia made an updated (non-plug-and-play) driver available to replace it. Which also wouldn't make sense if Arturia were already using a standard Microsoft SDK for the driver, as in that case it would already work.

At the moment I can't:

1. Update my Drumbrute's firmware.
2. Change any Drumbrute internal settings.
3. Use my Drumbrute's clock output (instead of 16ths it's defaulted to an insane 24ppqn pulse-train output which can only be changed using MCC).
4. Switch off the goddamn vegas mode.
5. Use USB MIDI to sync or sequence the Drumbrute with my DAW in any sensible work-flow.

Furthermore, I get an error when I try to add Drumbrute as a MIDI device in Midi-OX:

"Arturia Drumbrute: There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again."

And that is with no other applications running! Not in the background, nowhere! On a developer-class machine with 12gb of RAM and 12 cores!

I am deeply unhappy - these issues should have been picked up in QA before the launch.

Arturia, are you going to make this right, or is this going to be another nail in the coffin of your current dev team? Michel Davit, Mathieu Nocenti, Samuel Limier, Pierre-Lin Laneyrie, I'm talking about you guys.

Edit: I've noticed in Device Manager the Drumbrute shows as a generic 'USB Audio Device'. If I unplug and re-connect the Drumbrute USB, this device disappears and reappears accordingly. Does this mean it's not recognising the Drumbrute correctly - did you guys forget to include the Drumbrute driver along with the latest MCC version distro?

Edit #2: Ok, this is definitely the problem. Downloaded and installed exact same verision of MCC on a different computer, the Drumbrute showed up correctly (i.e. as a named rather than generic USB audio device) in Device Manager. I was able to update the Drumbrute's firmware, change settings and push them to the device with no issues. When I do the exact same procedure on my DAW workstation, the Drumbrute shows up as a generic USB Audio Device and I continue to get the problems. So for some reason the driver installation works on one machine and not on the other. What's the fix? Can I copy the driver from one machine to the other and do the driver install on my DAW workstation manually??
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:56:10 pm by Ranxerox »

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 10:27:11 am »
Hello.

Can I copy the driver from one machine to the other and do the driver install on my DAW workstation manually??

If you unplug the machine and delete it from:

OSX: Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Midi Studio:

Windows: Control Panel > Windows Device Manager

It will recall the plug & play drivers from the machine.

Best Regards

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Ranxerox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 04:20:26 pm »
Ok, I have discovered the cause of this problem myself.

Just so you're aware, USB class-compliant devices have issues with CopperLAN on Windows 7.

If you are using CopperLAN, you should go into the 'Edit' tab in CopperLAN Manager and select the object representing your computer. In the 'MIDI to CP interface' and 'CP to MIDI interface' settings, set 'Arturia DrumBrute' to OFF.

The CopperLAN driver effectively hijacks the USB device and won't allow any other application to access it, while also not facilitating a connection to the device from any application as it should  ::)

Still doesn't explain the somewhat odd Device Manager naming of the device, but at least now it seems to work as it should.

markcsg

Re: [SOLVED] Drumbrute-Midi Control Centre (MCC) Issues
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
For anyone still having issues on MacOS: The key point seems to be to delete all instances of the DrumBrute (drivers) from the MIDI Studio before trying to update.

If you have tried this several times without success, be aware that one or more of them may be labelled as a generic USB device in addition to devices labelled DrumBrute and may easily be missed. I went round this several times before realising that there was yet another generic USB device hidden away in a corner of the MIDI Studio window.

Once they were all deleted, starting the DrumBrute allowed it to be seen as DrumBrute Updater and the update then worked as described.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:01:45 am by markcsg »

sealion

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: [SOLVED] Drumbrute-Midi Control Centre (MCC) Issues
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 06:31:39 am »
windows 7 64 bit. same error failed to open message.  Tried everything (turning off antivisus looking in device drivers etc.

There is a missing instruction step and the message window that pops up at the start of a failed update hints at the answer in a badly written line that says "plugged" which is the clue to solving this.
When you are at the stage where your drumbrute tempo display shows UPD(ate), before you do anything else unplug the usb cable on the back of your drumbrute and quickly plug it back in again. 
That's it.  It then communicates with the drumbrute update mode and teh firmware window will starts showing progress.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:43:55 am by sealion »

electrick

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:46 pm »
Ok, I have discovered the cause of this problem myself.

Just so you're aware, USB class-compliant devices have issues with CopperLAN on Windows 7.

If you are using CopperLAN, you should go into the 'Edit' tab in CopperLAN Manager and select the object representing your computer. In the 'MIDI to CP interface' and 'CP to MIDI interface' settings, set 'Arturia DrumBrute' to OFF.

The CopperLAN driver effectively hijacks the USB device and won't allow any other application to access it, while also not facilitating a connection to the device from any application as it should  ::)

Still doesn't explain the somewhat odd Device Manager naming of the device, but at least now it seems to work as it should.

Thank you Ranxerox ! I had the same issue with my MatrixBrute. I was going toally mad with it until I found your solution.
As I am using an AL88c for my MIDI-Setup, CopperLan was blocking the Matrixbrute's MIDI signals.

Best regards!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines