March 29, 2024, 08:50:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transport behaviour in MIDI sync mode  (Read 5703 times)

mememe

• Apprentice
Transport behaviour in MIDI sync mode
« on: December 07, 2016, 03:29:00 pm »
I control the KeyStep as a slave from an RC-300 (guitar looper) which sends clock out & Start/Stop Messages via MIDI.

When the KeyStep is in STOP mode, triggering its sequencer with a Start Message starts the sequencer fine. However, sending the Stop Message only returns the KeyStep to PAUSE mode. From here, sending another Start Message results in completely random restarting of the sequencer. The relevant lights start flashing etc, but the sequence itself begins completely randomly.

Is there any way to change the behaviour of the transport in MIDI sync mode to toggle between STOP and START, rather than PAUSE and START? Physically pressing stop on the KeyStep whenever I want to begin my sequence again is the only workaround but really impractical for me.

Here's hoping!

O-li Arturia

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
Re: Transport behaviour in MIDI sync mode
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 11:43:27 am »
Hi,

The MIDI Stop message is actually not a real Stop.
The MIDI norm protocol is the following:
    - MIDI Start = Play from start
    - MIDI Stop = Pause
    - MIDI Continue = Play from Pause

So there's no way to go to Stop using MIDI messages.

stephendm

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:50:17 pm »
This issue isn't about how midi works or about the way the Keystep pauses - it is an issue with how the Keystep resumes after it has been paused by the source that sends start/stop messages, when on the latest firmware (1.0.1.15)

I have the same issue exactly as described by mememe. This was not an issue in firmware 1.0.0.5
I updated the firmware to 1.0.1.15 yesterday and immediately had this issue.

For testing, I connected together the Keystep, an MPC2500 (master clock), an Access Virus C, and also a TR-8 so timing will be absolutely obvious even if only slightly out  (though timing goes out mostly by 1 or more seconds with this issue so..)

On Firmware 1.0.0.5:
1. I have the Keystep switched to sequencer mode   (and obviously will be sequencing the Virus)
2. I press 'PLAY' or 'PLAY START' on the MPC and the Keystep starts playing the sequence (triggering the Virus sounds), in time with the MPC and TR-8, from the start.
3. I press 'STOP' on the MPC and the Keystep pauses (as it has always done) and the TR-8 stops too.
4. I press 'PLAY START' (or hold 'STOP' and press 'PLAY START') on the MPC to start from the start   (and not resume/continue as pressing the 'PLAY' button on the MPC would do.)
5. The Keystep plays exactly in time with the MPC and the TR-8, from the very start of the sequence ..every time. Works beautifully.

On Firmware 1.0.1.15:
Steps 1 to 4 as above
Step 5. The MPC and TR-8 sounds/beats play from the start and are in perfect time together (as is all my other gear when added to the chain). The Keystep (Virus) starts playing at a completely random time. Anything from .5 sec to maybe 5 seconds after pressing 'PLAY START'. Totally unusable.

I tried other gear in place of the Virus but same issue. The play button on the Keystep can be seen light up at the random time anyway so it's clear the issue is with the Keystep, not the instrument it's sequencing.

I rolled back to 1.0.0.5 and tested and the issue was gone. I updated to 1.0.1.15 again and the issue came back.
Finally I went back to 1.0.0.5 again and it is perfect again as expected so it's staying on that. I can't imagine this is by design so must be a bug in the newest firmware.
Pity, because the new firmware fixes a lot of other issues, though there were none that made it unusable like this bug it introduced.

Hopefully will be acknowledged and fixed soon.

mememe

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 03:28:14 pm »
Gotta say - big thanks to stephendm for his reply - he's spot on!  :)
I wasn't sure I'd been clear about the issue but I was pretty convinced the behaviour was odd.

2 steps forward, 1 step back...

This issue isn't about how midi works or about the way the Keystep pauses - it is an issue with how the Keystep resumes after it has been paused by the source that sends start/stop messages, when on the latest firmware (1.0.1.15)

peecee

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:31:13 am »
I have my keystep hooked up to the MPC 2000 (master clock) and the same situation was happening to me.  Just rolled back to the earlier firmware and seems to be sorted.  Thanks for the info, hope it gets fixed soon!

superandrew

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:38 pm »
hope it gets fixed soon!

I have the exact same problem, and wrote to the technical support. The firmware is one year old, is it really going to be fixed?

joestupidstupid

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:46:15 pm »
I've noticed the arp going out of sync when changing between time division settings when using an external MIDI clock, as well as the stop-start issue.

I'm using a Beatstep Pro as a source and reverted the Keystep back to the older firmware to try and eliminate these problems (it does a bit).

It's quite frustrating. Is there a Firmware update coming that's going to sort this out?

LuckyStrike

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:05:35 am »
New Keystep owner here, with the same incredibly annoying problem if I forget to hit Stop on the Keystep after hitting stop on the master sequencer.

We know Arturia can fix this, thus, I'm wondering why haven't they?

Kiuas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:37:54 am »
This is annoying. Any workaround other than downgrading firmware?

Kiuas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:11 am »
I can confirm that downgrading firmware fixes this issue 100%.

SuperGroupie

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 01:28:53 pm »
I have the same issue. I can confirm that downgrading to firmware version 1.0.0.5. fixes the problem.

Edit: It is also true on, my system, when Keystep is synced to DAW via USB.

Again, the notes on improvements in firmware 1.0.1.15 state:

###V1.0.1.15
##Improvements
    * When in external sync, pressing play from pause starts in the beat (If I read this correctly, this behaviour is, on my system, TRUE for 1.0.0.5, FALSE for 1.0.1.15)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:41:31 pm by SuperGroupie »

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 11:49:38 am »
Hello guys.

Sorry about this issue.

Can you please contact the support from this page: https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues
This way, your complaints will be referenced and will increase the priority of this update.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines