April 20, 2024, 04:43:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI THRU: keystep piloting beatstep pro  (Read 10322 times)

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI THRU: keystep piloting beatstep pro
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »
Hi,
I just bought a keystep and a beatstep pro. I connected them together to be able to play bass lines with keys instead of pads and surprise! I can record and playback the lines but i cannot hear anything if i play without recording. In other words, no midi thru! Seriously? basically the keystep is useless with this limitation.

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MIDI THRU: keystep piloting beatstep pro
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:03:13 pm »
Ok. Found the post on the FAQ that alleviates the problem. Basically the (monophonic) thru works except when there's a sequence playing, in that case you can press mute and you get your sound out again. Just a bit fiddly that you have to use this sequence while (for example) playing is running (like if you are already playing the drum part):
press mute, and find your phrase (while hearing it)
press rec, to record your phrase
un-mute, meanwhile recording (you can do it one instant after clicking rec without consequences)
click rec again to stop recording and listening your recorded phrase

Enjoy!

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 08:38:18 pm »
New findings... I can play chords with pads on top of the playing sequence... (i'm using sequencer 1 right now). So technically should be possible to merge the midi input from the keystep into the BSP, and it doesn't do it right now.

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:00:39 pm »
Weird behaviours:
Playing a 4 notes chord with keystep, arpeggiator in 1/up and 1/16th.
A sequence was already recorded on the sequencer 1.

If i press record, and try to input another sequence through the keystep, it plays both the keystep notes plus the sequence that should be overriden (the effect is super trippy, but i would expect that notes in the sequencer would be silently replaced and not heard)
If i record with mute selected, and then click record again to go to playback mode, and hit mute to unmute the sequence and hear what i recorded, very often there's a note that becomes duplicated, for example a Dsus4 arpeggio
D F G A D F G A D F G A D F G A
becomes
D D G A D F G A D F G A D F G A

the position of the duplicated note can vary in the sequence (it's not always the 1st and 2nd, could be for example 7th and 8th)

ps. in trying, i recorded for more than 16 beats, so there was no risk that i stopped recording too early to be sure the recorded arpeggio was recorded properly (and i chose chords of 4notes on purpose so the pattern repeats always in the same positions).

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:53 pm »
Maaaaaaaannnnnnnnn this thing is so full of bugs that it makes it almost musically creative, if only they were predictable behaviours!!!

so sequencer1, i put last step 12 and triplets (ableton live is playing so i got usb clock from there and i have a nice kick on every quarter on the drums)

i click record and play a three note chord on the keystep (arpeggiator is set on 1/up and 1/16th)  [ok i know i'm a bastard, triplets on the BSP and 16th notes on the keystep :D]

stop recording and switch to playback, and for a while there are higher notes in pitch that play on the sequence and that i never played. I mean, i would expected one note on every step taken from the set of the three i pressed on the keystep)

after a couple of loops these higher notes in pitch become one of the notes i played with the chord, like they were consumed events in some sort of way

if i play a chord on the keystep, the sequence is modified and much more notes are played (how is it possible, it's a kind of weird midi thru, but midi thru should not be working... the BSP was surely pumped on LSD to do this)

AndrewBloom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 09:44:47 pm »
My Proposal:

pressing mute and using left and right arrow the user cycles through the different modes:
1) mute
2) midi thru
3) transpose sequence

transpose sequence would basically transpose the sequence with one key pressed on the keystep. it's a feature somebody asked for the keystep on the keystep forum. Ok just discovered it's the normal way of working if play it's not pressed on the keystep, and you can do with pads pressing sequencer1. but then why doesn't work in the same way if there's the arpeggiator on the keystep on? Who knows....

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:41:32 am »
Double post madness!
Hmm where to start....The BSP is my favourite sequencer, although I don't use any computers in my workflow so heaps of the bugs I don't ever see.

I run a controller keyboard directly into the BSP that has two midi out ports so I can run notes into the BSP as well as into other devices without being blocked by the BSP only transmitting notes on the channel of the selected sequencer.  The BSP goes into a device that has a constant midi clock running out of it (Novation controllers will do this) so as to allow devices requiring MTC to run to receive the clock while the BSP is not playing.

I would be nice to be able to run the Keystep into the BSP and have the two sequencers merge their data but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen, so I have a Kenton Merge 4 box I run my step sequencers into and they are merged into one data stream (with the BSP coming in post clock repeater).
It is workable to run the BSP into the Keystep to merge their data as the Keystep has a proper midi thru function on it's output port (technically echo), though that will mean you can't use the Keystep to program the BSP's sequencers.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

redon

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 02:03:21 am »
D F G A D F G A D F G A D F G A
becomes
D D G A D F G A D F G A D F G A

you probably figured it out, it acts like that because it transposes using the background arp. i'm doing it right now. wth
the funny fact is that i've set the transposing channel far far away from that channel. and people from Arturia are not even giving a damn about it
i wrote them as soon as the last fw came out, but still
NRPN IS NOT WORKING!
THE FACT THAT THERE's NO CONTINUOUS CLOCK OUT IS A DICK SOFTENER FOR ALL THE OTHER SYNTHS/SEQS CONNECTED (it worked before)
THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SENDING A PAUSE AND A STOP COMMAND!
but, arturia people could release 2 haut de gamme tools in the meanwhile.
good job.
why they don't give a damn to their customers? :-\

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines