March 28, 2024, 07:07:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute is quieter when trigger by Beatstep Pro  (Read 2667 times)

alkalinity

Minibrute is quieter when trigger by Beatstep Pro
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:29:17 am »
Hello,

As in title: if triggered by BSP over MIDI, the Minibrute is quieter. I'd guess somewhere between 3 and 6 dB quieter. Which is weird because the Minibrute doesn't respond to velocity. Tried changing velocity of triggers on BSP (because it will have recorded and is sending the unused velocity from the initially recorded notes on the Minibrute), but this makes no difference.

I'm terrified of the Arturia forums... It seems less like a forum, and more like the complaints department. :)

hardware 408

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Minibrute is quieter when trigger by Beatstep Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:35:46 pm »
Im wondering about a starter semi modular synth so i will reply here and hope your topic gets resolved. I am curious about the brutes.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:27:33 am »
Hello,

As in title: if triggered by BSP over MIDI, the Minibrute is quieter. I'd guess somewhere between 3 and 6 dB quieter. Which is weird because the Minibrute doesn't respond to velocity. Tried changing velocity of triggers on BSP (because it will have recorded and is sending the unused velocity from the initially recorded notes on the Minibrute), but this makes no difference.

I'm terrified of the Arturia forums... It seems less like a forum, and more like the complaints department. :)

Weird, I've got both also and haven't noticed the volume difference.  I'll test it out tonight.

The forums are a bit like a venting space for those with problems.  I was spoilt in my early days of the 'net by the Waldorf user group email forum which was more like a synthesiser enthusiast forum, with members swapping tips and ideas on everything to do with electronic music production, not just Waldorf products.  I miss those days, but things change and this renaissance of hardware has a good amount of people who have never only ever used virtual instruments expecting the same uber functionality they get out of softsynths and DAWs from hardware synths and sequencers.  And at the same prices as software.  For me, synths have always been expensive and is the reason why I didn't own a car until very recently (I'm 44).  If it didn't cost as much as a nice 2nd hand car, I was suspicious the instrument would be hobbled in some way.
Things are getting better here though, with more members wanting discuss things rather than hang poo on Arturia.  After being a member of many different forums now, I realise that the Waldorf user group was something very special that doesn't happen often at all, but we can always try to achieve those heights again (the Waldorf web forum now does resemble these forums to an extent, albeit much quieter, a shame but nothing lasts forever).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:27:38 am »
Okay I tested it out and couldn't find any difference.  I used my ears and the peak meters in the signal path of my mixing desk as well as those on my multitrack recorder.  I reduced the input gain on the channel it lives on to observe the difference 3-6dB makes to my ear's perception and heard a noticeable difference in the volume.  I didn't record the different audio and compare the wave files but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard or seen any difference in the amplitude when triggered via BSP compared to that when triggered via it's keyboard, or any external MIDI keyboard.
I'm sorta sorry for you that I can't reproduce the issue, but at same time happy I can't ;)
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines