March 28, 2024, 05:55:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Announcement  (Read 10048 times)

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Announcement
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:13:36 pm »
We're proud to announce Drumbrute, an analogue Drum Machine with an integrated sequencer.
More details here :
https://www.arturia.com/products/drumbrute/overview

calaverasgrande

Re: Announcement
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:08:49 pm »
I am very enthusiastic about this new product.
The features and price point are amazing.
However, I am a bit dissapointed in the limited memory for pattern and song storage.
There are several vintage drum machines that I own which have more storage.
Contrast with the amount of storage available on the Elektron A4 for example. Of course that is a much more expensive device.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:22:23 pm »
Hi not sure what you mean the Drumbrute has up to 64 steps per patten and 64 patterns  with 16 songs.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

nashspacerocket

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:29 pm »
does it understand midi start/stop, unlike the microbrute? why won't you guys fix that problem in a firmware update? Two years that problem has been outstanding.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »
does it understand midi start/stop, unlike the microbrute?
It does send and receive Clock and Song Start/Stop through USB/DIN MIDI and even through CLCK if you use a stereo cable (mono will only send/receive Clock pulses).

You can check its Manual here:
https://www.arturia.com/drumbrute/resources
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:43:21 pm by Koshdukai »

Rockreid

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:10:41 pm »
Hi, will be ordering this exciting new drum machine and was wondering if Pattern Rotate could be implemented in an update. I didn't see the ability to rotate pattern in a Track in any demos or in the manual. Other hardware boxes like Elektron have the ability to rotate patterns forward and back in time for great variation and polyrhythmic effects. Is this possible?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:15:46 pm »
was wondering if Pattern Rotate could be implemented in an update. I didn't see the ability to rotate pattern in a Track in any demos or in the manual.
Not possible currently but I can see how something like [STEP]+[<<] or [STEP]+[>>] to rotate the pattern would be a natural and fun thing to do :)

That's a cool suggestion. Would love to see it on DrumBrute someday, so +1 on that from me :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:40:07 pm by Koshdukai »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:28 pm »
So that's the last nail in the Spark coffin?  :(

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:01:35 pm »
Nice looking bit of kit though. 449€ ! That's what I paid for the original CDM.

Good work Arturia. Can you send me one?

Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 01:09:27 am »
So that's the last nail in the Spark coffin?  :(
Do you think Spark and DrumBrute match features and use-cases? :)

Only Arturia knows what future holds for Spark, of course, but saying DrumBrute's the death of Spark is almost like saying the *Brute synth line is the death of the V-Collection (?!)... no? :P  ;D

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:24 am »

but saying DrumBrute's the death of Spark is almost like saying the *Brute synth line is the death of the V-Collection (?!)... no? :P  ;D

If you go to an Argentinian Steak house, you don't order the Chicken.

I paid £400 for the CDM a few years ago, I don't know if it's still available anywhere but given the new Brute is less than that at £380, why would you spend the money on an emulation? Brute is everything CDM was and more, plus it has the actual sounds in the box and is cheaper. Why would that not see the end of Spark CDM?

SparkLE is a different kettle of fish as it's only £150, the standalone software is again another completely different thing, but not it's not really like saying the *Brute synth line is the death of the V-Collection :)  :P

I can't wait to get my hands on one.

I had Spark very early on when It was the CDM and as far as I'm aware didn't initially come as standalone software. Later on the software was released on it's own and with several face lifts thereafter. SparkLE was then released and the software took on a life of it's own, sort of leaving the CDM hardware behind. When I say Spark, I'm referring to the whole thing, the CDM hardware as well. Spark for other users is maybe just the software.

Cheers, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:04:01 pm »
HI stuart,
I hope your well, As you well know i was one of the early testers for CDM and spark, and like you enjoy using the hardware with the software. I have over the years fought to keep the cdm as part of spark when sparkle came along . Due to this Arturia have had to develop spark software for both with came with a lot of headaches and bugs. Which we all know about right! I can say that drum brute is not a replacement for spark they are 2 different machines. You can't load your own samples for one thing. its just since spark users have asked for an analogue machine or a standalone. Just last week glen darcey spoke about a standalone sample drum machine. and hasn't ruled this out so you could possibly see a spark 3 standalone . but the problem is not many people really sample but use sample packs . so this could happen depends on the market. I love using spark bugs and all and hope it carries on,So don't loose faith yet.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »
why would you spend the money on an emulation? Brute is everything CDM was and more
Not really.

DrumBrute is one standalone hardware analog drum machine.
Spark (the software!) is a virtual instrument that is a *modular* sample player + analog + physical drum emulator + effects. Being virtual, you can instantiate as many as you need with instant total recall of the needed sound-set for that song within a daw.

Now that you explained it better, I understand that you bought Spark CDM thinking you were buying a "standalone" drum machine, only for its analog samples? Spark (the software) is so much more than that.
Spark (the software) was cleverly presented as a complete solution, with its own custom controller, 1st the CDM controller, then the SparkLE controller, but those are just that, custom designed controllers to better enjoy Spark's (the software) capabilities.

I guess you look at and enjoy using the controller and forget the computer and software that are making it come alive whereas I look at Spark (the software) and use the controller as an easier more fun way to enjoy the software.

So, I now understand that for you, Spark CDM and DrumBrute may fit the same space but that might be just because of why you bought Spark CDM or how you view it and that specific use you have for it might be fully filled with a DrumBrute, but that won't be true for other Spark users.
Most would miss *a lot* of Spark features if given a DrumBrute instead of Spark (though they would have a lot of fun and enjoyment out of DrumBrute anyway :D)

This is why I don't agree with your view that one replaces the other. Might be true in your case though :)

PS: btw, Spark had always the Standalone and plug-in software versions since v.1.00
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:01:52 pm by Koshdukai »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 01:11:22 pm »
Hello Terry, I'm well thanks. How are you?

Yes agreed, however the initial remit for Spark CDM was an analog drum machine, the sampler and all the other bells and whistles that were added only watered the original idea down, imo.

The life of Spark software I'm sure will go on and on and hopefully evolve. But, my reason for purchasing was to have that hands on feel of an 808 for example. Now there is an actual drum machine available, for my needs the Spark software would seldom be used. So yes, It is a replacement as far as I'm concerned, for other users who use Spark differently it won't be. It's different for all users.

Whether it was Spark users wanting the real thing or a push from others manufacturers producing analog re-works (ARP, Korg, DSI, Roland etc) it's a good move to upgrade to an actual real drum machine.

Back in 1999 when I first heard the Arturia Mini Moog i'm sure Arturia were miles away from thinking they would ever produce a real mono synth, but they did.

I still use Spark and may continue to but have recently moved a lot of work over to Battery. I use my CDM with an old Novation DrumStation now but I am itching to receive my DrumBrute. The multi outs are the thing I am most excited about, being able to route sounds like that. With Spark you always had to add Aux or Instrument channels, then Audio to record. A Lot less faff.

Power to Arturia, they made a good call on the brute.

Cheers, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 01:44:26 pm »
Spark (the software!) is a virtual instrument that is a *modular* sample player + analog + physical drum emulator + effects. Being virtual, you can instantiate as many as you need with instant total recall of the needed sound-set for that song within a daw.

As i said, Was. :) It's now all these things which has watered the original idea down somewhat.

Now that you explained it better, I understand that you bought Spark CDM thinking you were buying a "standalone" drum machine, only for its analog samples? Spark (the software) is so much more than that.
Spark (the software) was cleverly presented as a complete solution, with its own custom controller, 1st the CDM controller, then the SparkLE controller, but those are just that, custom designed controllers to better enjoy Spark's (the software) capabilities.

Yep, I say spark and I mean Spark CDM, the software and the hardware. In my opinion to buy drum machine software and not be able to use it with a piece of hardware would be remiss. Spark has evolved into a new beast and that's fair enough but for my use it was always to be hands on. I know it's software, modelled stuff has got better and better.   

I guess you look at and enjoy using the controller and forget the computer and software that are making it come alive whereas I look at Spark (the software) and use the controller as an easier more fun way to enjoy the software.

Not in either way, I just use it. Whether it's software of hardware, it's just sound, who cares where it comes from as long as it works, right?

So, I now understand that for you, Spark CDM and DrumBrute may fit the same space but that might be just because of why you bought Spark CDM or how you view it and that specific use you have for it might be fully filled with a DrumBrute, but that won't be true for other Spark users.

indeed, i think I posted something to Terry as you were typing this.

Most would miss *a lot* of Spark features if given a DrumBrute instead of Spark (though they would have a lot of fun and enjoyment out of DrumBrute anyway :D)

Spark software standalone or in a DAW is a different workflow and of course there are loads of things that are different, but in my case it's just about sound and hands on usability.

Thanks, Stuart
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:46:08 pm by stuart »
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark