March 29, 2024, 10:50:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Velocity response with FW update?  (Read 1809 times)

brendanclarke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Velocity response with FW update?
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:53:33 pm »
Seems like nobody replies to messages in 'General', so I'm reposting here...

After popping open the microbrute and seeing how signals are routed, it's clear that there is no technical reason that the synth wouldn't be able to respond to note velocity.

Both the LFO and Cutoff CV for Mod Wheel control are generated by the MCU, independent of one another. When the Mod wheel is set to 'LFO depth', the +/- 5V LFO generated by the MCU is attenuated, and the cutoff control signal is always 0V. When the Mod Wheel is set to 'Cutoff', the LFO is transmitted at the full +/-5V, and the 0-10V Cutoff signal is generated.

Since the microbrute's keyboard generates velocity, if the firmware were updated, velocity could be routed to the Mod Wheel destination that isn't being used by the Mod Wheel. Velocity depth could be controlled by external MIDI or from the software interface.

Note that this is different from the 'velocity hack' of routing velocity back in as mod wheel data in that the synth would be able to respond to both mod wheel AND velocity simultaneously.

microdude

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Velocity response with FW update?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:53:22 pm »

That would be great.

Nonetheless, I consider that it would be much more useful to add a MIDI CC for the non routed mod wheel destination and another CC to the LFO rate.

And another nice addition would be the LFO to be bipolar-monopolar.

Having said this, fixing the well known bugs and a simple MIDI implementation for the sequencer (start, stop, sequence change and MIDI out) would be enough at this point.

brendanclarke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Velocity response with FW update?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:32 am »
Yeah, I agree - there should be a lot of things that can be done to manipulate the LFO, given that it is digital. But it seems strange to me that the keyboard is able to read velocity, and there is a natural place to apply that data, but that it was never included.

There are an infinite number of ways that external CCs could be added up to the limits of the processor, but this would improve what the hardware could do, without anything connected externally. And, I would think, not more than 6-7 lines of code to add...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines