March 28, 2024, 04:17:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI puzzle  (Read 1838 times)

Rorytheherb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI puzzle
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:23:28 pm »
EDITED- I changed my config since the Boomerang does pass midi thru. I thought I had put it in the right mode but I had not (this is really easy to mistake since the modes are differentisted by a "bright" orange vs a "dim" orange light)

Hey everyone. I'm trying to set everything up in my small home studio so everything is always connected and ready to go-- a common goal for musicians of all stripes that can be pretty infuriating when there is that *one* piece of the puzzle that refuses to fit into place and do what it is frickin told. 

In my case at the meoment that one piece seems to be the BSP  >:(

MSI GS60 Ghost Pro Laptop
Windows 10
Reaper

MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid (MIDI I/O to computer via USB port)
-midi in from midi keyboard
-midi out to beatbuddy

Singular Sound BeatBuddy
-midi in from MOTU
-midi out (set to midi MERGE, = thru + out) to Eventide H9

Eventide H9
-midi in from BeatBuddy
-midi out (set to midi MERGE, = thru + out) to Boomerang III

Boomerang III Phrase Sampler
-midi in from H9
-midi out (set to midi MERGE, = thru + out) to Korg

Korg MS2000R
-midi in from Boomerang
-midi thru to Zillion

Future Retro Zillion
-midi in from Korg
-midi out to MOTU 

Artutria BeatStep Pro (MIDO I/O to computer via powered USB hub)

I thought since the BSP has USB MIDI and din MIDI that I could use the MIDI ports to communicate through the BSP to the ZIllion and the Korg on separate MIDI channels with Reaper. But the BSP only seems to communicate on the channels designated to its three sequencers. I can play the Zillion through the Korg if the BSP Zillion and Korg are all on the same channel, and the MIDI also goes back into Reaper, but that's not what I want.

If there are any workarounds or tricks to getting the BSP to do what arguably it should be able to do, which is pass MIDI through, I would love to hear. Otherwise I will have to get some kind of MIDI interface for this stuff. I thought I was clever enough to avoid needing one, but apparently the BeatStep Pro is somewhat less than clever.

-r 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:10:12 am by Rorytheherb »

dog01

Re: MIDI puzzle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:18:54 am »
The beat step pro can only sequencer a max of 3 midi channel... in controller mode it can can be mapped to whatever channels you want you could have each knob on different midi channel for instance

i am a little confused ??? as to what your trying to achieve the beatstep pro can sequencer 3 separate devices all on different midi  see below

so one set up for example seq 1 midi channel  4 Korg MS2000R channel 4.  seq 2 channel 6 Future Retro Zillion channel 6 seq3 drums midi channel 10 device x by the way i have seq channel set to user so i can change them on the device and not have to use MCC each time i want to change one
my beatstep pro setup is this all three sequencer channel set to user and then seq ch1 seq ch2 seq3 ch10 (in contorl mode i have the first knob maped to bank changes on dw6000)
_beatstep pro midi out _ into midi thur box splits it 4 ways
_dw6000 midi in ch1
_midi korg volca keys ch2
_mpx8 midi in ch10

you could always add a thru box Future Retro Zillion
-midi in from BSP
-midi thru to midi thru box to Korg MS2000R and BSP

the beatstep pro does not have a midi thru...so it will not pass on midi from the beatstep pro midi input to its midi out only midi data generated by the beatstep pro will be sent by its out... i know the keystep has midi thru option and is reasonably cheap sorry unless arturia release a firmware update to allow bsp midi out to acted as a thru.  regards Dog01

Rorytheherb

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MIDI puzzle
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:15:31 am »
thanks for the info dog01

I am just trying to set everything up to be as flexible as possible for e.g. routing different sequencers to different synths dynamically.

with the changes I made (see edit above) at the moment I can feed Zillion's sequences into the BSP via Reaper, and then into either soft synths or the korg. kinda fun!

i think i will get a merge or an additional midi interface though since at the moment i'm not getting the beatbuddy's midi out back into the daw.

cheers 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines