March 28, 2024, 09:21:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Workaround for lack of LFO Retrigger?  (Read 20445 times)

Tausendberg

Re: Workaround for lack of LFO Retrigger?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2016, 01:20:04 am »
" To me a emulation should be able to sound like the real thing. As close as possible"

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, especially when it comes to marketing. The page for the Farfisa V even goes so far as to say that you don't even need a Farfisa when you have a Farfisa V. So I can definitely see how emulation is important if I really wanted to go so far as imagining that I owned something big and heavy like an organ but I didn't want to drag it out to shows or something like that because I would want it to sound like what I'm replacing.

As for simplicity vs complex and the modular v. I think one of the things I find really charming about the modular v is that it really is up to me. Obviously the interface isn't optimized for simplicity but it doesn't matter too much to me, if I want I can spend several days trying to figure out a very specific patch perfectly or if I want, I can just connect a sine wave output to the VCA input, push sustain all the way to the top, and that's it, it's completely up to me.

Obviously back in the old days I wouldn't take a Moog Modular out of the studio and on tour just to output a sine wave but with VSTs, I don't really have to think about it in those terms.

I was thinking of one day eventually, instead of a laptop because laptops are always relatively weak, building a PC with a server case and then mounting the server case in a rack. Any thoughts on that?

LBH

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 02:20:36 am »
I was thinking of one day eventually, instead of a laptop because laptops are always relatively weak, building a PC with a server case and then mounting the server case in a rack. Any thoughts on that?

I hav'nt thought that much about it for some years.
I guess you can do what works. It has to be a reliable solution for you. If the solution you think about works , then why not.
Packing things in the protection it's come in, can help.

You can get rackmouted PC cases to mount in a flightcase. Just browse for it. I guess you can find many solutions fitted for diferent kind of touring/ moving things often.
And use components that has no delicate mechanical moving parts. For instance SSD's instead of HD's. SSD's i prefere anyway because of the performance.

You can also get laptops with desktop processors, but i don't know how good they are. Especially compared to a desktop. I would believe there could be heating issues, but i don't know. Perhaps there is well working solutions.

Also there was "Muse Receptor" - a dedicated machine when using VST's on tour. But i think the sale is closed. Perhaps there are other similar solutions. Perhaps computers has become more reliable for lice use, so machines like that is not relevant anymore. I don't know.
You can browse for it to see what they are.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:23:03 am by LBH »

Tausendberg

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2016, 03:28:43 am »
Thank you for the leads and thank you for that harmonic series link, it proved to be very educational!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines