April 19, 2024, 11:50:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Something like a filter for control voltages?  (Read 2223 times)

Tausendberg

Something like a filter for control voltages?
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:40:13 am »
Hello, long story short, I have a sustain pedal that I use as an expression pedal assigned to one of the joysticks and it works well in that regard except for one little problem. When I release it, it doesn't always return all the way to 0 but 2-5 which is a problem if I have the Joystick control connected to oscillator frequency because it will cause the patch to be out of tune when I release the pedal.

I'm pondering various solutions but I wonder, is there some way inside of modular v where control voltages below a certain amount are just trimmed or filtered out?

LBH

Re: Something like a filter for control voltages?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:40:44 pm »
Don't know about such filter. The only way i know of to solve this is if your pedal actually go all the way back to zero. I assume your pedal don't, perhaps because it's broken. Perhaps you can adjust your pedals limits.
You can try and test it using a MIDI tool that show the values your controls output.

Tausendberg

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »
My pedal isn't broken per se, it's a Yamaha sustain pedal meant for piano but it can be used with the keylab 88 to send a continuous range of CCs and so I want to use it as an expression pedal.

In other words, I'm using it in a way it wasn't designed to be used, so to speak, because I guess on the actual piano, when the player would release the pedal, the piano was engineered so that the pedal didn't have to be sending zero in order for the piano to behave like it was supposed to.

I've already tried opening up the pedal and making some slight modifications to the action but there's very little I can do past a certain point without soldering (I don't know how to solder).

I'm going to try an experiment with studio one macros and the mixer and see if that gives me what I'm after.

In case you're wondering why I'm bothering with this, it's because I've found that it's possible to get really rapid and expressive vibrato when a piano style sustain pedal is used as an expression pedal because unlike a 'wah-style' expression pedal there are different muscle movements involved when your foot is being pushed back against by a fairly heavy spring.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:40:33 pm by Tausendberg »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:12:19 pm »
Your pedal must send values over Zero.
I was thinking - Can't  you just set the MIN and MAX values in Modulars MIDI LEARN dialog box so it fit's? A sustain pedal only use 2 values. IOne just over the middle and one just under the middle value i guess.

Tausendberg

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:52:31 am »
No, sorry, that's not what I mean, I mean, I use the sustain pedal as an expression pedal, I literally have the sustain pedal plugged into the expression pedal input on the keylab 88, the only problem with it is that it doesn't always hit 0 when I release it but it's a continuous pedal that sends the full range from 0 to 127

LBH

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:10:19 am »
Oh yeah. Sorry. But perhaps if you raise the MIN value a little in the MIDI learn Dialog Window. Have you tried?

Otherwise the nearest you can get is to have a slope for the prdal that's as weak as possible in the beginning. You can set a slope in a Studio One Macro control. Perhaps that work?

I would still say it's a hardware fault if the pedal don't go back to zero unless it's not supposed to do so. But it don't matter if you can work around it.
I have recently shifted my controllers joystick for that same reason. Now it go back to zero again.

Don't think i have other ideas right now. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:24:26 am by LBH »

Tausendberg

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 07:44:55 am »
Thank you for the thoughts, I'll ponder some more options but right now I used midiCCModulator to get it to go back to 0

LBH

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »
Thank you for the thoughts, I'll ponder some more options but right now I used midiCCModulator to get it to go back to 0

Great.
Sounds like you like that tool. What's the difference from setting the MIN value in the MIDI Learn Dialog box? Should i get that tool if i have troubles like this?

Tausendberg

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:49 pm »
It can make all sorts of alterations to the CCs although on further testing Presonus Studio One seems to have problems with it.

https://github.com/jpauwels/pizmidi/blob/master/Release/doc/midiCCModulator.txt

LBH

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:01 pm »
Okay. Thanks for the link. I think i will only use tool/ scripts like that if i can't find other ways. But one never know.

jeffbart

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 12:24:40 am »
If you were using Logic or Cubase there might be MIDI filtering/transforming or similar to turn e.g.  all values  <10 to 0....  I am not familiar with Studio One.
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

Tausendberg

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 10:35:02 pm »
Thanks for the lead, unfortunately Studio One is relatively rather limited when it comes to MIDI.

I've decided this had become much more trouble than it was worth so I bought a different pedal that I expect will return to 0 reliably and when it arrives in the mail I'll let people here know how it turned out.

Tausendberg

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 07:40:30 am »
In case anyone is curious, I used a Roland DP-10 plugged into the auxiliary input on a keylab 88 and it works perfectly!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines