March 28, 2024, 11:57:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [Solved] Sample and Hold doesn't work at all  (Read 2871 times)

Tausendberg

[Solved] Sample and Hold doesn't work at all
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:22:01 pm »
Long story short, I can create a very simple patch, even as simple as a sine wave connected directly to the VCA, but as soon as I complete a sample and hold circuit (Sine wave LFO connected to S&H input and S&H output connected to Oscillator frequency modulation, for example) then the sound stops, it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:19:21 am by ben arturia »

Tausendberg

Re: Sample and Hold doesn't work at all
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:37:14 pm »
Just did a test comparison where I set up a Modular V2 and Modular V3 side by side totally identically and sample and hold works flawlessly in Modular V2 but in Modular V3 it just shuts down the system.

I'll further add that when Sample and Hold is shutting down the sound of Modular V3, when I play keys on my midi keyboard the Modular V3's depicted keyboard appears to be laggy and inconsistent.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:21:03 am »
Hi Tausenberg,

I have tried to follow your directions. I have sound - and both S+H module 1 and 2 works.
Can you post a screenshot of your settings? Then i'll try to replicate.

Best

Tausendberg

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:47 am »
I see...

I also see that nobody else has reported this issue, maybe it's something wrong with my installation...

LBH

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:09:29 am »
I see...

I also see that nobody else has reported this issue, maybe it's something wrong with my installation...

Don't know. If you wan't me to look at your patch then attach a screenshot.

Not all report here, and perhaps not many use the S+H modules. Something can be wrong that i have missed.

Best
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:12:35 am by LBH »

Karamba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:27:44 am »
Long story short, I can create a very simple patch, even as simple as a sine wave connected directly to the VCA, but as soon as I complete a sample and hold circuit (Sine wave LFO connected to S&H input and S&H output connected to Oscillator frequency modulation, for example) then the sound stops, it doesn't work.

To my knowledge, the sample and hold input is usually patched to white noise. This is how it's done in the ARP2600 by default. I tested this and it works fine.
There is also a preset "S and Hold" which demonstrates this, have you tried this? (see screenshot attached)

A sine wave LFO doesn't create any audible sound apart from random clicks so I understand why it doesn't work in your case.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:03:52 pm »
To my knowledge, the sample and hold input is usually patched to white noise. This is how it's done in the ARP2600 by default. I tested this and it works fine.
There is also a preset "S and Hold" which demonstrates this, have you tried this? (see screenshot attached)

A sine wave LFO doesn't create any audible sound apart from random clicks so I understand why it doesn't work in your case.

It's true S+H often is linked to noise (Mostly White noise i think yes) to create a random behavior/ effect. Often S+H is a setting for a LFO.
However a S+H circuit is not stuck on using white noise. You are free to input anything the S+H circuit or module can sample a amplitude from and use.
So you can also input and use a LFO in a S+H circuit/ module.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:00 pm »
Just stumpled on ths videos about sample and hold. Perhaps someone is interested. Modular V2 is used in the videos.
Richard Lainhart: Advanced Synthesis - Sample and Hold videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCI6yvH2ax0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ReCEy7vyz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvRYepHh9Dw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpQw8kxlMQ

The first example using the S+H module is actually like the one Tausenberg described and i did to test and found worked for me. It worked like shown in the videos.

Tausendberg

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:48:25 am »
HA! It's exactly those videos that got me interested in Sample and Hold.

LBH

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 04:12:18 am »
HA! It's exactly those videos that got me interested in Sample and Hold.

Yes i had a feeling about that. Great. :)

corum_beasley

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 05:58:20 pm »
Hi thanks all for the very interesting posts. I have been playing with the sample and hold all day so far and produced all kinds of mad sound s i didnt know it could do.

Funny i check these posts for solutions to problems and they often end up stimulating new ideas. Take it easy everyone!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines