March 29, 2024, 11:53:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Horrible sounding Pianos  (Read 25297 times)

aaron aardvark

Re: Horrible sounding Pianos
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:41 am »
I am not associated with VSP, though I thought this has some nice piano sounds in the mp3 demos:

http://vintagesynthpads.com/ocart/Arturia_Piano_V

BranoFabry

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Online Mixing & Mastering | Film Sound Post-Production
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 11:58:15 am »
Most of the V-Piano Factory Presets sound like listening through a keyhole. No brilliance, no stereo feeling and no equalizing.

I guess it's what one would get when micing up an instrument with real microphones. It's up to a mix engineer to give a competitive brillance to it.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 02:19:27 pm »
Most of the V-Piano Factory Presets sound like listening through a keyhole. No brilliance, no stereo feeling and no equalizing.

I guess it's what one would get when micing up an instrument with real microphones. It's up to a mix engineer to give a competitive brillance to it.
You've only got part of the equation for a great recorded sound - it's not just picking the right mic but also picking the right spot or spots to place said mics. And there are as many legitimate spots to mic a piano as there are mics that can be used. A competent recording engineer will know plus they'll experiment to find the right spot to put the mics.

Certainly an engineer can 'fix it in the mix' but that's the wrong spot to do so. You have to get a great sound to tape as it were before you can even begin to think about post recording eq and compression.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

gregwalton42

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 11:45:59 am »
I have sampled pianos and through the V Collection I now have modelled pianos. Many of the presets fall a bit flat but I like the possibilities that the modelling, mic placement, EQ and ambient spaces offer. I also like that the whole V Collection takes up less disk space than a sampled piano

jackn2mpu

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 02:08:13 pm »
I have sampled pianos and through the V Collection I now have modelled pianos. Many of the presets fall a bit flat but I like the possibilities that the modelling, mic placement, EQ and ambient spaces offer. I also like that the whole V Collection takes up less disk space than a sampled piano
Modelled acoustic instruments can be awesome but Arturia fell flat with the pianos. Needs a massive rerwrite as not even a simple update can fix the sound.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

don192

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 10:12:43 am »
When played through Reaper alongside other pianos Piano V sounds about half the volume as the others. The pianos do need work and the software interface needs to have numerical values with the sliders so you could know how you've adjusted them. It needs the ability to reset any tweaks back to the original settings. I'm using a demo version.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 12:29:37 pm »
When played through Reaper alongside other pianos Piano V sounds about half the volume as the others. The pianos do need work and the software interface needs to have numerical values with the sliders so you could know how you've adjusted them. It needs the ability to reset any tweaks back to the original settings. I'm using a demo version.
The paying version is the same. It's nuts what Arturia did having the control values in a little are at the bottom left of the gui. Every other vi that I know of that displays values has them in a little popup right next to the control. A simple double click would be great to be able to reset controls to whatever was the original setting.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

don192

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 08:37:24 pm »
I found improvement with these tweaks:
Concert D model
Action section:
Increase Stings and Hardness
Piano Section:
Reduce Soundboard
Master Section:
Increase GAIN
 :)

don192

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 06:46:02 pm »
The pianos do need work and the software interface needs to have numerical values with the sliders so you could know how you've adjusted them. It needs the ability to reset any tweaks back to the original settings. I'm using a demo version.

I've since noticed that the values appear in the bottom pane on the left-hand side if you hover the mouse over the dials or start adjusting them.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 06:57:51 pm »
The pianos do need work and the software interface needs to have numerical values with the sliders so you could know how you've adjusted them. It needs the ability to reset any tweaks back to the original settings. I'm using a demo version.

I've since noticed that the values appear in the bottom pane on the left-hand side if you hover the mouse over the dials or start adjusting them.
Which is about as useful as mammary glands on a male bovine  :P
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

don192

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:01 am »
I've managed to tweak better sounds out of this, but how do you save them and load them? Save Current Config has my list, but they don't load up.
Demo version.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 12:44:37 pm »
I've managed to tweak better sounds out of this, but how do you save them and load them? Save Current Config has my list, but they don't load up.
Demo version.
One of the demo limitations is supposedly you can't save customized presets according to the FAQ. However in the Synclavier I was able to save a customized preset and recall it for later use - that loophole may have been closed. Saving a configuration won't do the job no matter what.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

stefano

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2017, 12:55:14 pm »
When I first try Piano V I actually was not happy at all with that. I had other sample based instruments which I preferred a lot more so I did not spend a lot of time with it.
Last week I decided to further investigate on that and I did some adjustment (Eq, mic and hardness). I then tryed a direct comaparison in Cubase (by direct switching from one instrument to the other  it is easier to compare sound/feelings of each of them)among: Piano V, Ravenscroft 270, Halion 5 The Raven.
I had to say that at the end Piano V sound actually good (far better than the Raven) and, in my opinion, comparable to Ravenscroft. But without any tweat, actually even The Raven could sound better than Piano V....
So, I think that Arturia should have worked a bit more in providing more good sounding patches (especially for pop piano) because in my opinion those provided are very far from what you can obtain after few tweakining.
Of course there is still space to improve the instrument, for instance by adding more trick on the phisical modelling side, to improve relative resonance of string  or sustain pedal resonance.
Nevertheless, at end, Piano V can sound really good

methodman3000

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 05:42:18 am »
I have been playing around with Piano V and The variations collection.  It is amazing  how much the mood of the piece I am listening to  changes.  I filter piano's based on their style and pick between 2 categories for a song.  That way I get to understand the piano's then I wll load them into Revalver which again breaks up the sound in unusual ways.  I am working with very dynamic classical Piano music that came from Pianist a program put out by PG Music that they no longer sell but it has about 800 classical pieces on it.  I bought it years ago.   

stefano

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »
I just upraded to V Collection 6 since I like CMI V and DX7 V very very very much and, with my surprise, I realized that Piano V2 is a really good sound improvment vs Piano V.
I suggest you to try the demo and test yourself. Even the already existing models (3 are completely new) sound way far better than on Piano V.
In particular the middle/high keys are now more realistic with respect to the previous version.
Of course, I do not use any of the new fx (compressor or delay) now available.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines