April 16, 2024, 05:42:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Wood or not?  (Read 5858 times)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Wood or not?
« on: May 15, 2016, 03:24:36 pm »
Dear Arturians!

If you want to, you have the opportunity to to set the record straight over at Gearslutz. There's a quite lively discussion on the subject of whether the wood details are really wood. Some suggest plastic, some suggest fibre board. To me the prototypes looks like they have solid wood, and I hope this is the case.

Head over here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1057788-arturia-matrixbrute-23.html
and talk to us, please, or answer here if you want. As it is, the issue is a controversy tainting your reputation in the most gear buying community out there - it's not good for you...

Edit: BTW, is the launch still on for ultimo May (Thomann's date)?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:05:26 am by DrJustice »

Chi

Re: Materials controversy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »
I'm sure it is wood - it must be, the official Arturia descriptions of the Keylab and the Minibrute SE clearly state that wood is used in the construction.  If both of these have wood I can't see them using anything else on the flagship synth.  ???

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:20:08 pm by Chi »

Chi

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:25:09 pm »
Here look:

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:58:52 pm »
Yes, I'm also pretty sure it's wood - the prototypes clearly has it, unless it's the worlds best, and unique per unit, imitation.  Look at the pictures towards the end of that Gearslutz thread. Being an Axel Hartmann design (always classy), I'm confident that no plastics are specified in the chassis construction.

The Keylab and MiniBrute gets some flak exactly because it's not solid wood, but veneered fibre board or something (still waiting for confirmation of that), which would technically be wood, just not in the form people expect. For the MatrixBrute, Arturia does not specify the materials on the product pages, in the press release or any of the blurb on the various shops web pages - still they get hammered ahead of time for "breach of trust".

Whether it's deserved or not, Arturia needs to step up and start building that trust, since the hammering is on, as mentioned. They're not interacting much with the "fans" and the community who are the customers, unlike other boutique'ish manufacturers, and in the mean time outspoken people are falling over each other to take swings at them over a seemingly trivial issue.

IMO, with the Origin and now the MatrixBrute (possibly not the best choice of name, but that's a different issue), Arturia is making some of the most desirable synths. Personally I wish that instruments like these will succeed, and that depends not just the quality itself or the specific materials, but also how Arturia is generally perceived among the high-end synth buying public.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:07:29 pm by DrJustice »

Chi

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:32:05 pm »
The Keylab and MiniBrute gets some flak exactly because it's not solid wood, but veneered fibre board or something (still waiting for confirmation of that), which would technically be wood, just not in the form people expect.

Huh? Veneered fibre board? That is misleading considering the description given - I can understand the disapproval if that is the case.

Ok, I looked at the pictures in GS - in some the wood definitely doesn't look like it is real wood whilst in others it is unclear, hmmm...

Arturia should comment regarding the Keylab, Minibrute SE and the Matrixbrute.  What is the truth please?

yusynth

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Wood or not?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 05:48:19 pm »
True mahogany

PXPT

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • MatrixBrute twiddler
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 03:05:48 pm »
The Keylab and MiniBrute gets some flak exactly because it's not solid wood, but veneered fibre board or something (still waiting for confirmation of that), which would technically be wood, just not in the form people expect.

Huh? Veneered fibre board? That is misleading considering the description given - I can understand the disapproval if that is the case.

Ok, I looked at the pictures in GS - in some the wood definitely doesn't look like it is real wood whilst in others it is unclear, hmmm...

Arturia should comment regarding the Keylab, Minibrute SE and the Matrixbrute.  What is the truth please?

I bought myself a KeyLab 88 last weekend (as a Christmas present to myself - while I wait for my MatrixBrute) and the end caps look like real wood to me. I'll have another looksee when I get home tonight. BTW - the KeyLab 88 keyboard is superb!

PXPT

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • MatrixBrute twiddler
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:59:59 am »

I bought myself a KeyLab 88 last weekend (as a Christmas present to myself - while I wait for my MatrixBrute) and the end caps look like real wood to me. I'll have another looksee when I get home tonight. BTW - the KeyLab 88 keyboard is superb!

LOL - Had a look at my KeyLab 88 and it's definitely fake wood. You can even see the individual colour dots of the printing process. Most disappointing - although it does look nice from a small distance onwards. It looks like they print out a large, varying sheet and then cut out the patterns from the sheet and glue them onto some cheap wood of some kind (probably MDF). This would give the impression that each KeyLab was custom made from different bits of wood. The same probably goes for the MatrixBrute. I'm sure that this would account for the variations we see in the "wood grain" in the pictures.

Personally, I would have just used proper wood and avoid all the fiddling around. The construction price difference cannot be that great, can it?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:54:10 pm »
LOL - Had a look at my KeyLab 88 and it's definitely fake wood. You can even see the individual colour dots of the printing process. Most disappointing - although it does look nice from a small distance onwards. It looks like they print out a large, varying sheet and then cut out the patterns from the sheet and glue them onto some cheap wood of some kind (probably MDF). This would give the impression that each KeyLab was custom made from different bits of wood. The same probably goes for the MatrixBrute. I'm sure that this would account for the variations we see in the "wood grain" in the pictures.

Personally, I would have just used proper wood and avoid all the fiddling around. The construction price difference cannot be that great, can it?
The MatrixBrute has real wood. Confirmed by Arturia and visible in detail pictures.

BTW, your KeyLab 88 sports a Fatar keybed (TP/100LR I think). That's top of the line.

PXPT

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • MatrixBrute twiddler
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 05:42:32 pm »
BTW, your KeyLab 88 sports a Fatar keybed (TP/100LR I think). That's top of the line.

Yes - the keyboard is superb if I may say so myself...   8)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines