March 29, 2024, 02:41:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transmitting on more than two channels?  (Read 2152 times)

pax-eterna

• Apprentice
Transmitting on more than two channels?
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:48:15 pm »
Is there any way (outside of Analog Lab) to have the Keylab 88 transmit midi from the keys on mroe than two channels?  It seems all it can do is a channel for the left and a channel for the right in spplit mode, and only one channel in single mode.

Anyone have any tips re this?

Thanks

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
Re: Transmitting on more than two channels?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:59:49 pm »
I usually handle midi splits and things like that from my host application (MainStage). However, I built a midi routing app in Max/MSP, called "Channel Cycler", that acts as an intermediary, and allows me to cycle the outgoing channel with a midi footswitch or program change buttons. It also keeps track of which channel the notes came in on so that the note off goes to the correct channel (this is the danger of having a simple "channel change" command on the controller, if you're holding down a key, then you'll get an infinite stuck note). It can even receive from a second "mirrored" keyboard controller, in my case a wireless Keytar.

This setup basically lets me use my board as if it's 6+ virtual boards, all with their own splits and ranges, sort of like virtual desktops, but with a keyboard. I've got it compiled as a standalone app for Mac. Send me a private message if this is something you'd be interested in using, and I can host a copy.

Otherwise, you're kind of out of luck. I've yet to see any keyboard that had this functionality, besides a simple "channel change" command, which I DON'T recommend because of the aforementioned stuck note problem.

pax-eterna

• Apprentice
Re: Transmitting on more than two channels?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 01:51:30 am »
The Roland FA-08 can send on all 16 channels, as can a few other boards. I think the NI Komplete Kontrol  can as well...but it's hardware implentation is pretty ordinary whihc is why I jumped for the KL88. Even the Casio PX-5S can transmit on four at once. And in fact in Analog Lab the KL88 can do muiltiple channels as well in multi mode.

Anyhoo it is what it is so I will need to come up with some work-arounds.

Cheers Eric

Dennis

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines