March 29, 2024, 01:25:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Yes or No question: Is the Keylab 88 able to receive CCs? Absolute knob setting.  (Read 2570 times)

Tausendberg

When I have the knobs set to absolute mode, is it possible for a DAW/VST to send a CC message TO the Keylab 88 so that it alters the current value of the CC that the knob is assigned to?

I have set up my DAW, studio one to transmit the value to the knob but the knobs don't seem to receive that value. I just want to know if my DAW isn't doing something correctly or if I'm simply hitting a limitation of the keylab.

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
Can't say I'm clear about HOW or even WHY you would send CC data to a standalone controller. I'm just thinking there might be a more elegant workflow to what you're doing, but I'm not sure what you're end goal is. I can't imagine there is a way of sending CC data TO a digital encoder, since it's sole function is to generate data. Think about it, obviously you can't do that with a fader or else you would need a servo. The only thing I'm wondering about, my self, is whether there's a way of sending information to the key switches that are on Toggle mode, that would be sorta nice.

But getting back to you're original question, what are you trying to accomplish with this? Since it's a standalone controller, you're end result is going to be software, so couldn't you just send the data you need to the software, instead of going through? Or are you trying to refresh the controller with the absolute value of data when you open a patch so it won't jump? I doubt it. That's why I'm just biting the bullet and getting used to relative mode (I've never used continuous encoders before). I prefer physical pots, but if I'm going to use encoders, probably their best workflow is relative.

Tausendberg

"Or are you trying to refresh the controller with the absolute value of data when you open a patch so it won't jump? I doubt it."

This, I'm trying to do this, I know other midi controllers with continuous encoders have the ability to receive cc data so that when they're set in absolute mode, the vst's value doesn't jump. I figure the Keylab 88 doesn't have this feature but I just want formal confirmation and maybe to give arturia something to consider in their next firmware update (I don't see any technical reason this feature couldn't be implemented).

Emporio

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi Tausendberg,

I'd like to do this also, but to be able to write status to the LEDs in the switches so that they can match the status of the recalled preset in the DAW (MainStage in my case)

Let me know if you get any further with it!

Cheers,
Ant

Eric Barker

Yeah, I've tried everything... and nothing I do seems to suggest that the Keylab can receive and store values from incoming midi  :(

This makes the toggle setting for the switches practically useless, as it's almost assured that they'll get reversed from the host. At this point, better to just use the momentary setting, and let the host (MainStage) display the toggle setting.

Seems like something a firmware update could/should add.

Tausendberg

actually, I use the toggle on the switches, they work well enough in practice because let's say I have a vst variable, for example delay sync to tempo, that is connected to a toggled switch.

Let's say I open up a project and the delay sync to tempo is on but I just turned on my keylab 88 and the related toggle switch is off. What I find happens is that if I turn the toggled switch on then the switch will light up but the delay sync to tempo remains essentially unaffected because it's now 'synchronized'. So yeah, I have to manually turn on the toggles when I open up a project file but what I'm saying is that what won't happen is that I'll have delay sync to tempo on and the toggle switch off and pressing the toggle switch won't cause the switch and the delay sync to tempo's values to be 'inversed'. You see what I mean?

And yeah, I mean, considering that when using Analog Lab, the keylab receives text information from the VSTi and displays it on the monitor, I would speculate that means that the Keylab 88 has the hardware necessary to receive and process received data and so consequently would just need the right firmware to receive midi data.

maranite88

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I'd like to do this also, but to be able to write status to the LEDs in the switches so that they can match the status of the recalled preset in the DAW (MainStage in my case)

Study the keylab java script for bitwig (open source - google it).... it contains all the sysex for displaying messages on the keylab lcd display, as well as for switching on and off led for the buttons.

Eric Barker

How would this work for MainStage?

And many of my toggle settings are per patch, NOT per project.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines