April 25, 2024, 06:58:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Tips on using the sequencer  (Read 8930 times)

murraythek

Tips on using the sequencer
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:05:29 pm »
Just picked up the Microbrute and I'm new to the world of synths and sequencers.

I played around with a few lines to set up in the sequencer, but everything I play stutters and doesn't have the fluidity of what I had originally played. Any tips?

JamesinSheffield

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tips on using the sequencer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:31:15 pm »
Hey, the sequencer is not very intuitive, but here are some tips: Always enter notes in multiples of 8. A standard bar in most electronic music will be 16 notes. There should be 64 available steps in the sequencer, so that means four lots of 16 notes.
I enter notes by counting them out, including the rests. Rests are a 'blank' step without a note, you enter them with the rest/tap tempo button. You need them to give your sequences some syncapation. (It might not be spelt like that)
Here are some examples, where 1= any note (preferably in the same key), and r = a rest.
1rr1rr1rrr1rr11r.
1rr1rr1rrr11rr1r.
11r11r1r1r11r11r.
11r1r1111r1r1rrr.

Hope that makes sense.

murraythek

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:27 am »
That's perfect! The manual left out a lot of the info you gave me so this is great.

I also downloaded the software and dialed back the timing from 1/64 to 1/8 which is worlds better. It is a used unit so it would be nice if there was a way to do a factory reset.

LordVampyre

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:57:53 am »
murraythek if I remember right there is a way to do a factory reset... its in the manual Im quite sure... if you dont have a manual its over on Arturia's website.

I think it was this synth I reset when I got it .... shoot could have been the xiosynth I got but anyway.. if there is the manual is the way to do it and theres software for the microbrute there also.

LordVampyre

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:59:20 am »
JamesinSheffield, thanks a great deal for this information. Ive never used a sequencer till I got this microbrute.

JamesinSheffield

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:18 pm »
I'm glad that helps, its a tricky thing to get used to. (The sequencer on the korg volcas are so much more intuitive).
You can of course write the actual notes in as well as the rests, like this: DrDrArBbCrGrGrGBbA.
(You might recognise a classic house bassline from the late eighties:)

James

ene_hache

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 03:40:05 am »
Thank you so much James (and Murray for asking).

jonasvm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:07:33 pm »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj2l4vqlhpfq4i4/MicroBruteSequencer.xlsx?dl=0

someone posted this in another forum. apparently you can do the sequences in excel and then copy them to .mbseq file. not sure how to do that though. still have to try it out. if anyone knows please share! thanks!

jello

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:40:54 pm »
hi! check out my new web-based sequence editor, you may like it :)

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90173.0

kspssd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 02:32:47 am »
I tried this and it worked ...  It may already have been mentioned but it was new to me.
I connected the MBrute to my Laptop / Ableton with the USB cable. In Ableton I created a midi channel and routed it to the MB. I dragged in some midi arpeggios into Ableton. Set the Mbrute sequence to Record and pressed play in Ableton. The Mbrute sequence captured it and played back.

I then tried it with a midi cable and other synths I have and it worked as well.

My 2 cents...peace.

DDanagher

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:55:09 pm »
I also just noticed it is possible to record into the sequencer through USB from my laptop ( running Logic pro ). Just create a MIDI sequence in Logic, switch microbrute to sequencer record and hit play in logic.

"Rests" are an issue. I am able to add rests by inserting a G8 ( highest note in logic pro grid) which seems to work. Any other ideas on how to  add a rest?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines