April 16, 2024, 08:15:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connecting to multiple Midi Units?  (Read 5665 times)

PoopMahGoots

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Connecting to multiple Midi Units?
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:25 pm »
I'm trying to control a Volca Keys and a JU-06 simultaneously from the BSP, but so far the only way that I've found to connect into these units is through midi the Midi Out. Is there any way for me to control them simultaneously?
To be clear, i want to be able to control one on sequencer 1, and the other on sequencer 2.

Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Connecting to multiple Midi Units?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:31:00 am »
You need to chain them.  Your Volca Keys only has a midi in, so it will need to go at the end.  Plug the midi out of the BSP in to the JU-06, then the out of that into the in of the Volca Keys.  Set the midi channel of the one you wish to control with sequencer 1 the same midi channel as it.  Do the same for sequencer 2.  Press play.

Reasons it may not work:
The JU-06 doesn't have an echo thru function on it's midi out or you need to enable it.
You haven't set the channels correctly.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

k.rad

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:11:48 am »
Not every gear has midi-thru for chaining Midi in row.
a simple y-midi-cable did it for my -suprisingly- on the midi out. Midi Data for each device is then separated by your choice of midichannel.

If you want to use more instruments via Midi this little guy does a good job
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/midisplit-1-input-6-output-midi-splitter/?pt=full_prod_search
...or any other mainstream midisplitter will do it as well i think. :)

PoopMahGoots

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:14:20 am »
Thank you both! I'll try your recommendations out.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:33:09 am »
Thank you both! I'll try your recommendations out.

You are welcome!  We all were noobs at one stage.

Not every gear has midi-thru for chaining Midi in row.
a simple y-midi-cable did it for my -suprisingly- on the midi out. Midi Data for each device is then separated by your choice of midichannel.

If you want to use more instruments via Midi this little guy does a good job
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/midisplit-1-input-6-output-midi-splitter/?pt=full_prod_search
...or any other mainstream midisplitter will do it as well i think. :)

That 6-way splitter is pretty sexy, naked with no case and all.  You can see it's bits ;D

Y-splitter din cables will work for splitting a mid signal, but are iffy for merging, though that isn't what it would be used for in this case :)

I got myself a midi patchbay recently and that has helped keep my midi network manageable.  Before that I was using several splitters (in the way of 3 Novation controllers with multiple midi outs and a Phillip Rees V3) as well as a Kenton Merge4.  The patchbay isn't a final solution, I'm still using the V3, Merge4 and the a few of the aux midi outs on the Novations, but is helps big time.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Steinberger

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:19:14 am »
You can also use a TRS/Stereo Y cable and the two MIDI connectors that came with your BSP.

syrupcore

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 10:12:53 am »
You can also use a TRS/Stereo Y cable and the two MIDI connectors that came with your BSP.

Never thought of that one. One less thing to bring out of the house in some scenarios. Thank you!

dellaengineer

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 01:04:53 pm »
The trick is working but i am stuck in a problem with this:

Seems like the BSP cannot be used as a midi thru; example:

I have 2 synths for both of the sequencer, and i want to control a third synth from Ableton sending the midi seq thru the BSP.
Unfortunately it does not work.

Any suggestion?
PS: the 3rd synth is a Volca, so no midi in.

Thank you in advance.

Hungry_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 12:58:23 am »
Thanks for this. I was trying to do something similar and did not realise the problem was that none of my synths were routing the mid thru!! luckily i have a minijack 6 way splitter in the house!!!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines