April 26, 2024, 01:22:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP frustration - Arturia please fix BSP before I end up in loony bin !!!  (Read 3798 times)

Recbutton

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi guys

BSP is my first hardware product from Arturia and I am not sure what to expect and how good the support is but I am not here to criticize Arturia team as I am sure that there was lot of hard work put into making BSP by some creative and innovative people however after having BSP for about 3 months now I am losing my patience and I have to be honest.

I very much welcomed the recent 1.3.0 firmware update, adjusting velocity, gate for all steps accordingly was definitely a must and most modern sequencers have this feature in one form or the other.
Pattern linking is a fine feature too.

I read on this forum about different, more or less complex feature requests but what would be most welcomed if Arturia finally made Beatstep Pro usable and solid – free of bugs for once! 

In studio I am mainly using BSP with Logic Pro  and external synths via USB and intended to use it as live performance tool however haven’t done much testing with Din MIDI but it should not make any difference, there is a MIDI flow on both.

In my humble opinion at the moment BSP is almost unusable in studio situation, unless you want to record audio to your DAW directly without any synchronization before suddenly BSP goes down (stops working).

In Live situation BSP is totally useless, it’s unpredictable behavior and bugs is simply unacceptable.

Here is a list of bugs I have encountered through some recent basic BSP use without any extensive testing, like changing chained patterns etc.:

•   goes dead - stops working suddenly, have to be turned off and back on again to re-instate
•   synchronization with DAW - this is all over the place both sending MMC from BSP and as a slave (Logic X in my case but I’ve read about same or worst sync problems with other DAWs)
•   the clock jumps when changing between the projects and when saving project whilst BSP is running - there is noticeable jump, for live situation this is no good at all
•   random and occasional hang notes whilst trying to operate BSP
•   when changing LAST STEP it creates random note which is not displayed on step/pattern pads
•   sometimes when switching to Control Mode main pads are lit and either do nothing or trigger sequencer’s notes instead of being locked to Drum sequencer - that’s very random
•   when switching between the Projects with Transpose Link button turned on - all the notes are transposed all the way up in the pitch
•   when saving the Project newly created patterns sometimes are saved automatically sometimes are not - BSP manual is not clear on that one but I think it states that patterns should be saved
•   when transposing from external Keyboard with  Transpose Link on, all notes are being transposed to the same key on both sequencers e.g. I have A# C# D on sequencer 1 and the same notes but two octaves lower on Sequencer 2, when trying to transpose from external keyboard controller all notes on both sequencers go to A# two octaves lower - that happened to me once this week on one project, when I copied project to another empty location same behavior occurs but when I try to recreate it manually with same note pitches, gates, velocities etc. it’s fine, at least so far

I am sure I have experienced some other BSP’s misbehavior or bugs but I can’t just remember them all now once repeated I will add to this post. 

There is also a few simple, illogical and annoying drawbacks which perhaps could also be addressed with Firmware update:

•   the new 1.3.0 feature of SHIFT + Knob 2 (Absolute value change) - the Knob value is fix set to 100 and lets say I changed all notes velocity values down to 40, when knob is released and I try to SHIFT turn it again all values jump all the way back to 100, which in Live situation is again unacceptable - this changed values should be remembered and in ideal world SHIFT + Knob 2 should pick up last value or the highest value in the pattern and then change all the notes accordingly
•   Pad sensitivity is appalling - I wish the sensitivity was adjustable - compare to NI Maschine
•   Sequence mutes are staying on when changing the Project - would be nice if Project remembers mutes
•   Tempo is global - would be nice if Project remembered tempo
•   Looper in Control mode - what is the point if you can’t record it to Drum Sequencer ???
•   When pressing Sequencer button in order to change or save empty pattern or Project accordingly it would be nice if pads would illuminate previously saved Patterns/Projects

Foremost I wish to all the BSP users that Arturia would quickly fix all the important bugs because BSP is almost useless at the moment. Its behavior is totally chaotic and as random as the Randomizer which I find completely unmusical and pointless.

I really regret selling my Doepfer Dark Time in favor of Beatstep Pro. DT had less steps and features but it was rock solid and all in sync with other equipment and DAW and I am really considering going back or moving on to different step sequencer.

Apologies for this essay !

Recbutton

k.rad

Recbutton,
thanks for Beta-testing the BSP.
I think thats all what to say about this machine at this time.
Arturia, please fix the bugs ASAP or this excellent piece of hardware will remain useless for making music

smutek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
@Recbutton - - I really think you might have a defective unit.

I'm experiencing none of those issues with my BSP, which I also use with Logic Pro and Ableton Live 9.5. I'm on Firmware version 1.3.0.23 & using Midi Control Center 1.2.2.429

•   goes dead - stops working suddenly, have to be turned off and back on again to re-instate

I've never experienced this. (knock wood!)

•   synchronization with DAW - this is all over the place both sending MMC from BSP and as a slave (Logic X in my case but I’ve read about same or worst sync problems with other DAWs)
Again, never had this problem.

•   the clock jumps when changing between the projects and when saving project whilst BSP is running - there is noticeable jump, for live situation this is no good at all

I'm not sure about changing projects - but I've never seen the clock jump when switching projects. Note that usually I am running BSP slaved to either Live or Logic.

•   random and occasional hang notes whilst trying to operate BSP
I have not experienced this.

•   when changing LAST STEP it creates random note which is not displayed on step/pattern pads
 I am not having this problem either. To test I set up a 16 step sequence, playing the same notes and engaged lst step in various lengths. There were no random notes. When playing a "real" sequence (ie. not 16 steps of the same note) it was hard to understand how the beatstep   decided where to resume the sequence. It seemed like sometimes it would start from the beginning, sometimes it would jump back one step, and sometimes it would continue form its current position.   

•   sometimes when switching to Control Mode main pads are lit and either do nothing or trigger sequencer’s notes instead of being locked to Drum sequencer - that’s very random
Haven't had this one either.

•   when switching between the Projects with Transpose Link button turned on - all the notes are transposed all the way up in the pitch
I had not tried this, but I  just checked and I wasn't able to recreate it. I set a pattern on sequencer 1, plaging 3 notes on low octaves. Saved the pattern, saved the project to slot three. Turned on trns lnk, switched to project 4, then back to project 3 and all notes remained at the same pitch.

•   when saving the Project newly created patterns sometimes are saved automatically sometimes are not - BSP manual is not clear on that one but I think it states that patterns should be saved
Not sure about this and I agree it's not clear. I make sure to save the patterns as I work on them.

•   when transposing from external Keyboard with  Transpose Link on, all notes are being transposed to the same key on both sequencers e.g. I have A# C# D on sequencer 1 and the same notes but two octaves lower on Sequencer 2, when trying to transpose from external keyboard controller all notes on both sequencers go to A# two octaves lower - that happened to me once this week on one project, when I copied project to another empty location same behavior occurs but when I try to recreate it manually with same note pitches, gates, velocities etc. it’s fine, at least so far

I'm not able to comment on this one, I have not tried it.

None of that was meant in any way to minimize your experience or frustration, and it definitely sucks for the people who are having problems, but I think it's important for other people reading this, and for the developers, to know that these don't appear to be universal bugs. I've been really happy thus far with my BSP.

Recbutton

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Smutek

Thanks for your input ! 

It haven't even crossed my mind that I could have a faulty unit to be honest  ::)

I meant to make a demo video of these bugs and post it here but I haven't found spare time, I might do it next week.

Glad to hear that you have not experienced any of the faults with your BSP.
In a way it could be a relieve if it was my only unit which behaves strange.
I might have to contact Arturia and directly then.

@smutek - just off the subject: have you figured any clever connection to wire BSP inside of Logic for performance including transposing and recording notes in to Logic at same time or are you using Arturia's recommended method ?

Guys ! Are there any other users who have a similar experience with your BSPs ???

smutek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hey Recbutton, no problem. I don't think you're the only one, lots of users seem to be having various problems. Regardless, I hope you are able to get your BSP issues sorted out soon!

Re: Logic, I don't think there's anything clever, but I was just discussing Logic stuff here. http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=86623.0

See also this link - http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32201

I'm using that method, and avoiding the midi environment when possible now. It's just so much easier.

verytimebandit

Hi RecButton,

I have not tried all of the examplesyou  mentioned in this thread. But I can confirm having the same issues regarding synchronization. I´ve tried syncing BSP as a slave to  Cubase via USB and to an old hardware sequencer (Roland MV-30) via midi. In both cases it drifts out of sync... :'(

Not sure if I should wait for further firmware updates or just return the BSP as a faulty unit...

It´s sad, really, since I really like the Beatstep concept. Has anyone returned a BSP and not experienced the same problems with the new one?

//Verytimebandit

Recbutton

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Verytimebandit

I know mate, just look at the screen shots attached. Simple beat 4/4 with no swing, zero shift. BSP slaved to Logic via USB, 116 bpm.

I tell you what I am gonna do I will return mine and get something else. I can't wait another year for a fix whilst they are releasing new but half working gear  >:(

the beauty and belief soc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
edit: sorry. I was drunk and trying to be funny. It didn't work.

Are you sure you guys changed the PPQN settings? I think by default it's set to one step.
Roland is 24ppqn.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:04:27 pm by the beauty and belief soc »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines