March 29, 2024, 11:46:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What kind of speakers are you using?  (Read 2769 times)

Amalgamoth

What kind of speakers are you using?
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »
I'm sick of using in-ear headphones and consider getting a set of affordable speakers (or just a good one with 2 in-built channels) to use with my MacBook Pro.
What are other Arturia players using? Anything good to recommend for a >150€ budget?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:29:33 pm by Amalgamoth »

smutek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: What kind of speakers are you using? (Mac only)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:37 am »
I've had the same set of M-Audio Studiophile DX-4's for about ten years now. You know, they aren't like high end or anything, but for the price point and for my needs they are pretty awesome. I paid somewhere around $200 and I've had them for ten years, so, yep, I love them.

I got these back when M-Audio was pretty solid with their entry-level / pro-sumer gear but I've read that M-Audio hasn't been the best since they were acquired by inMusic, or whoever it was. I haven't bought M-Audio gear for a long time but based on stuff I've read I would do a lot of homework before considering any of their gear now.

That said, if I were in the market, in your price range, I would probably be looking at the Mackie CR 4's. Headphone out, 1/4inch TRS or RCA input. Powered, and a good size for a small home / bedroom setup. They seem to be almost exactly like my DX-4's, so I'm biased there I guess. Also, I have a Mackie Mix-12fx mixer, which I'm pretty happy with, so that also helps me swing towards Mackie. 

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:24:11 pm »
With respect...... why would what brand of computer affect what kind of external speaker you would use?
If you're not using a 3rd party audio interface then don't most macs just have a standard 3.5mm stereo out?
You could use a jack to phono 'y' lead to connect to home hifi if you have that or shop around for some desktop pc speakers... visit some shops, take some CDs you know well and use your ears.... don't expect too much for that kind of budget though.

SparkInduction

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:25:11 am »
I'm sick of using in-ear headphones and consider getting a set of affordable speakers (or just a good one with 2 in-built channels) to use with my MacBook Pro.
What are other Arturia players (with a MAC) using? Anything good to recommend for a >150€ budget?
In that price range, you might look into Klipsch Promedia 2.1, powered vomputer speaker system, complete with powered subwoofer. Not for precision monitoring of course but you'll likely love their thunderous output. Warning: I would advise you keep the subwoofer volume knob at 10 O'clock or below! 😉

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:42:52 pm »
Or........... you could pick up a pair of AKG K702s or 701s as the price has halved since moving to china.... probably a better investment than pretty much any speakers you'll find at that price point......
I've been using K702s for some years now.... they're VERY open sounding and the bottom end is quite natural unlike a lot of cheaper headphones which have ridiculous amounts of bass boost..... after a while you forget you're using headphones as the sound field is almost like listening to loud speakers.

SparkInduction

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: What kind of speakers are you using?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:43:57 pm »
What are other Arturia players (with a MAC) using? Anything good to recommend for a >150€ budget?

Amalgomoth -- for your personal benefit, and our collective benefit as readers and potential speaker system shoppers, I'd like to encourage you to MODIFY the title of your original post, and remove the "Mac Only" reference to replies you're looking for, you made within your post. We'll all enjoy the benefit of lots more _valuable_ feedback from loudspeaker owners that way.

2. You would do well to know, your insisting on getting "Mac Only" replies makes you appear unlearned if not petty in the realm of sound reproduction technology: because there's no meaningful difference between a pair of loudspeakers on one computer (OS) Operating System vs. on another OS platform. ;-)

Mac vs. Windows  vs  Linux vs. Amiga vs. NeXT vs iOS vs Android...  It's unproductive to think the OS type or even the Computer manufacturer makes a difference in choosing a pair of powered loudspeakers -- although the quality of design of the sound card should certainly have an impact on the audio arriving at the loudspeaker system -- not to mention humidity level, altitude above sea level -- I'm being humorously petty there), and more significantly, the unique acoustical signature in the listening space, due to room dimensions, speaker placement and also the balance between hard, reflective vs, soft/absorptive surfaces in any of our rooms, and more.

Hence, the wording of your text does not cast in a positive light, the idea you've thought through what you're really asking: which is akin to:

"Hey Gang, what type of writing instrument (Geography only) do you use when doing your homework -- I'm sick and tired of getting ink on my index finger when using this felt tip marker!" :-)

See how unreasonable and ultimately unhelpful for you (and the rest of your readership) the "Mac Only" restriction for replies is? Here's hoping you modify your _otherwise_ useful post. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:11:02 pm by SparkInduction »

Amalgamoth

Re: What kind of speakers are you using?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:32:54 pm »
You could have made your point in two lines, but hey, I removed two words. Tada.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines