March 28, 2024, 10:38:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Opening old projects with CS-80v1 when CS-80v2 is installed  (Read 11073 times)

CJF713

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Opening old projects with CS-80v1 when CS-80v2 is installed
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:42:19 am »
Hello,

I posted about this a few years ago and after searching around it seems I cannot find a solution to the problem but hopefully I missed it.

My question basically is: Is there a way to open projects in Cubase that were utilizing the CS-80v1 app now that I have the CS-80v2 app installed without loosing the sounds and having to start from scratch?

I am opening projects in Cubase 4 (I'll be updating to 8.5 soon) which have the CS-80v1 (yes, version 1). I just updated to the latest CS-80v2 app and when attempting to open these old projects I am told that the plug-in CS-80v could not be found for the instrument track.

This is nothing new, as I got the same error years ago when updating from v1 to v2.

If I switch the MIDI tracks from the old v1 app to the new v2 app, I loose all the precious sounds I spend hours creating...

So other than resetting dozens of music projects I have by just switching the tracks to the v2 app I am writing to see if either anyone has found a solution for opening projects containing the CS-80v1 app when they have they CS-80v2 app installed?

If not, does Arturia plan to invest the resources into allowing older versions of the app to be automatically rerouted or at least capable of being opened in the CS-80v2 app?

Again, hopefully I missed the solution somewhere here on the forums.

Thank you for your help.

-Chris

LBH

Re: Opening old projects with CS-80v1 when CS-80v2 is installed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »
Hello,

I posted about this a few years ago and after searching around it seems I cannot find a solution to the problem but hopefully I missed it.

My question basically is: Is there a way to open projects in Cubase that were utilizing the CS-80v1 app now that I have the CS-80v2 app installed without loosing the sounds and having to start from scratch?

I am opening projects in Cubase 4 (I'll be updating to 8.5 soon) which have the CS-80v1 (yes, version 1). I just updated to the latest CS-80v2 app and when attempting to open these old projects I am told that the plug-in CS-80v could not be found for the instrument track.

This is nothing new, as I got the same error years ago when updating from v1 to v2.

If I switch the MIDI tracks from the old v1 app to the new v2 app, I loose all the precious sounds I spend hours creating...

So other than resetting dozens of music projects I have by just switching the tracks to the v2 app I am writing to see if either anyone has found a solution for opening projects containing the CS-80v1 app when they have they CS-80v2 app installed?

If not, does Arturia plan to invest the resources into allowing older versions of the app to be automatically rerouted or at least capable of being opened in the CS-80v2 app?

Again, hopefully I missed the solution somewhere here on the forums.

Thank you for your help.

-Chris

I'm not sure i understand fully.

But i have this thoughts.
1. Can't you install the two versions of your synths side by side, if needed if you put them in seperate sub folders for instance?
2. Can't you import your v1 preset's into your v2 applications? If so perhaps they will sound different than in v1.

I would try both i think, if it's was me.
About the side by side install you could ask Arturia technical support. I would think it worked.

About using a plugin's in DAW projects i would believe the name of the plugin is important to be recognized. The names of the two plug-ins is different as "V2" is added the V2 versions.
Also you might have to reselect a preset and save that in a project if you use a new plug-in. I'm not sure. It depend on how your DAW recognize the preset and how the plug-in works i would think.

CJF713

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »
Hey LBH,

Thanks for the help.

To be clear my goal is to open projects I created with the CS 80 version 1 plugin (which I no longer own) without a missing plug-in error

I believe I downloaded a trial or borrowed a friends license at the time, but either way I no longer have a copy of version 1 of the plugin. 

When I open those projects now that I have CS 80 v2 installed, I get a missing plug in error as I no longer have the CS-80 v1 plugin installed.

------

In response to your suggestions:

1) I just searched the internet high and low for CS 80 v 1 but it is no longer to be found. Not surprising as Arturia wouldn't want people downloading outdated software...

2) I'll have to read the manual on importing the presets into v2 but since v1 is not installed or working I'm assuming I have no way to access those presets

-----

Any further help from the Arturia community would be much appreciated!!!

-----

If I could buy the CS-80 v1 plug-in for $100 just to get passed this mess at this point I honestly would!

I cant imagine the Arturia's software developers do not prioritize the fact that most users will be upgrading versions and therefore will need to update older instances of the software without having to reconfigure the patches in the CS 80 plugin.

I use Adobe software everyday for a living as a graphic designer and I have numerous plug ins in After Effects and other Adobe programs I am constantly updating but the backwards compatibility issues, if there are any, seemed to be brought to attention and resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

How can there not be any backwards compatibility for the CS-80v plug-in?

Hopefully its right in front of my face and I am missing it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Chris

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:50:45 pm »
Hey LBH,

Thanks for the help.

To be clear my goal is to open projects I created with the CS 80 version 1 plugin (which I no longer own) without a missing plug-in error

I believe I downloaded a trial or borrowed a friends license at the time, but either way I no longer have a copy of version 1 of the plugin. 

When I open those projects now that I have CS 80 v2 installed, I get a missing plug in error as I no longer have the CS-80 v1 plugin installed.

------

In response to your suggestions:

1) I just searched the internet high and low for CS 80 v 1 but it is no longer to be found. Not surprising as Arturia wouldn't want people downloading outdated software...

2) I'll have to read the manual on importing the presets into v2 but since v1 is not installed or working I'm assuming I have no way to access those presets

-----

Any further help from the Arturia community would be much appreciated!!!

-----

If I could buy the CS-80 v1 plug-in for $100 just to get passed this mess at this point I honestly would!

I cant imagine the Arturia's software developers do not prioritize the fact that most users will be upgrading versions and therefore will need to update older instances of the software without having to reconfigure the patches in the CS 80 plugin.

I use Adobe software everyday for a living as a graphic designer and I have numerous plug ins in After Effects and other Adobe programs I am constantly updating but the backwards compatibility issues, if there are any, seemed to be brought to attention and resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

How can there not be any backwards compatibility for the CS-80v plug-in?

Hopefully its right in front of my face and I am missing it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Chris

Your welcome.

If you have used factory preset's, then i guess they are in the V2 version too. But perhaps they sound different.
If you have used your own preset's as i understand you have, then you need to have saved that bank to your computer yourself to import.
Also perhaps if you've had installed V2 version when a V1 version allready was installed and registrated, then you would'nt have the samme troubles, but i can't tell for sure. I've never had the V1 versions.

Based on what you write, then you can't even retrieve the preset's you have used if you got a V1 version, if you have used your own preset's you only have saved in the V1 you've used. That's perhaps depend if your Cubase project have saved parameter changes of a factory preset. If the parameter settings is actually saved fully for any preset, then perhaps you can retrieve your preset's if you had a V1 version. But that you have to ask Arturia support about i guess.

If you have used factory preset's then you can use the V2 version if it contains the preset you have used. Perhaps even the parameters is set as they were, but V2 sound different i guess. But you have to switch the V1 plug-in to a V2 plug-in in your projects. If your DAW have a smart way to do this by directing all to a new plug-in instead i can't tell. That's perhaps a DAW matter. But again ask Arturia support.

Just in case: It's not legal to lend or borrow a license. And many trials don't function fully. Anyhow, then it's a users responsibility to make backup's. Your Adobe programs can't open a file if you haven't saved it and it's not there either.

Perhaps it's not fair to blame Arturia all this.

I can't help futher. I suggest you contact Arturia support.

Good luck.

CJF713

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:22:35 pm »
Hey LBH,

Thanks for your help - I'll make a request to Arturia for further help to see if they can shine any light on the subject as well.

I have no doubt in my mind that all of this could have been avoided if I had properly saved my presets and exported them for future use as you said. It's hard not too see this problem as mostly user error, but on the other side of the coin it does seem that backwards compatibility is not a strong asset for this plug-in, but again there are a lot of variables involved.

Its just a bummer as I have dozens of projects I am looking to re initialize and release to the public but I will basically have to start the sounds from scratch for the most part.

I'm also wondering if any of the sound banks were deleted or removed by Arturia along the way between versions 1 and versions 2, I suppose that could add to the problem as well.

I guess the lesson learned is to always export a preset with the parameters saved as I wish and maybe even a waveform file of whenever I get anything that sounds decent with this synth just in case...

Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve most of the sounds - ill reply a post once I hear back from Arturia.

Thanks again,
Chris

LBH

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:36 pm »
Hey LBH,

Thanks for your help - I'll make a request to Arturia for further help to see if they can shine any light on the subject as well.

I have no doubt in my mind that all of this could have been avoided if I had properly saved my presets and exported them for future use as you said. It's hard not too see this problem as mostly user error, but on the other side of the coin it does seem that backwards compatibility is not a strong asset for this plug-in, but again there are a lot of variables involved.

Its just a bummer as I have dozens of projects I am looking to re initialize and release to the public but I will basically have to start the sounds from scratch for the most part.

I'm also wondering if any of the sound banks were deleted or removed by Arturia along the way between versions 1 and versions 2, I suppose that could add to the problem as well.

I guess the lesson learned is to always export a preset with the parameters saved as I wish and maybe even a waveform file of whenever I get anything that sounds decent with this synth just in case...

Hopefully I'll be able to retrieve most of the sounds - ill reply a post once I hear back from Arturia.

Thanks again,
Chris

If you have saved your preset's in the V1 version and you have the same computer you used, then perhaps your preset's still are on your computer system. But not as exported preset files/ banks. They will be in a hidden file then. In ProgramData on Windows.  I don't know if the V2 version can read them.

I agree that a software should be compatible with earlier software, or one is offered a way to convert easily if not.
I can't tell if Arturia have lived up to this. But they are not responsible for backing up user preset or if you have used software you don't have now or when you got your V2 versions.

Reporting back is good, thanks.

reddog

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:23:51 am »
You can import CS-80 V1 patches into CS-80 V2.

While there might be to the odd patch that will sound a little different in V2, they should sound the same.

I'm a Logic Pro user and when I encounter your problem of V1 being no longer available in an older project, I simply load V2 and then load the original patch(es).

Yes, it's a little bit of extra work, but not too onerous and your problem is very easy to solve.

CJF713

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:58:10 am »
Thanks reddog - Ill give that a shot.

I think I can dust off the old hard drive that hopefully has the v1 patches on it for me export them for importing into v2.

Good to know

Thanks,
Chris

LBH

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 07:22:02 pm »
Preset's found in the ProgramData folder are not eksported from the synth, and are in another file format than exported banks/ banks presets. I don't think they can be imported. And it's not needed.
If the V2 version can read the V1 files if found in ProgramData, then as far as i know you just have to put the found files in the same place in the ProgramData folder on the new machine.

cinc

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 08:17:24 am »
I just cam across this and I'm having pretty much exactly the same issue, I've tried to get arturia's help but no luck yet.

I have cs80v2 running very nicely on my macbook pro (10.11) but the reason I purchased it is because I used what would've been version 1.06 years ago on a friends old machine and I loved it.  I still have an old macbook running Logic 8 on OS 10.6 but I can't find a way to install version 1.06 on that machine simply to open up the old project files bounce the cs80v1 tracks to audio (something I should've done years ago) and then transfer the files to my new machine running Logic X.

Arturia were nice enough to send me the download of version 1.06 but I can't install as I need a disk! - the only disk I have is for version 2.

So frustrating, there has to be a way around this, otherwise I guess I'm stuck looking for someone on ebay selling an old copy

ukukuku

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 11:37:24 am »
Hello,

I have the same issue but as years have passed im in a need of V2. If you can help me with that im willing to pay for it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines