March 29, 2024, 03:24:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Reaper midi Stop message recognised as Pause by BSP  (Read 3338 times)

splubp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Reaper midi Stop message recognised as Pause by BSP
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:22:50 pm »
Anyone here have any experience running BSP as a Reaper slave?

Whenever I stop playback in Reaper, BSP pauses instead of stopping. Other transport control messages seem fine.

Not sure if this is Reaper or BSP?

Any help appreciated!

splubp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Reaper midi Stop message recognised as Pause by BSP
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:28:43 pm »
Anyone?? :)

turbo_kev

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:11 pm »
This happens on Bitwig studio as well
when I pres stop on bitwig the BSP pause play button flashes
although when I press play again on bitwig the BSp does start from the beginning cheers
kev
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 10:41:51 am »
Hi,
Your DAWs are responding to MIDI System Real Time Messages. There's no "Pause" message with this type of MIDI messages :

STATUS    HEX    DATA    DESCRIPTION
11111000    F8    --    Timing Clock
11111001    F9    --    Undefined
11111010    FA    --    Start
11111011    FB    --    Continue
11111100    FC    --    Stop
11111101    FD    --    Undefined
11111110    FE    --    Active Sensing
11111111    FF    --    System Reset

But as you can see there are Start and Continue messages. The BSP is not able to know if it's a Pause or Stop before you press the play button again which sends a "Continue" or "Start" message.
So (BSP is playing slave sync):
Pause on the DAW -> BSP in Pause
Play on the DAW    -> BSP will continue from the location it is

Stop on the DAW -> BSP in Pause
Play on the DAW  -> BSP will re start from the beginning

If your BSP is master you should see the DAW reacts the same way

splubp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »
Thanks for the info!

I control playback via Reaper and slave my BSP from there - this works great: from the BSP I'm syncing a drum machine + sending midi + CV gate to external synths. My only problem is as I describe, not being able to stop the BSP when I stop playback in Reaper... I have to physically hit stop on the BSP so it returns to the beginning of the pattern before I start playback again in Reaper.

It would be great if an option could be added in the next firmware to choose to always interpret stop messages from Reaper as actual stops rather than pauses.

rnrjosh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:20 pm »
This is the same problem I've been having since a few firmware updates ago.  I reported this way back on October 10th, no replies to my thread.  In the old firmware, you used to be able to hit stop on the master MIDI device, and the slaved BSP would stop.  Now, as of 1.2.0.6 or later, stop message from an external master MIDI device only 'pauses' the BSP.  It continues sending clock via the external clock port.  This drives me insane in a live situation, as half my rig is sequenced from the BSP and it doesn't stop on command.  This is a HUGE bug IMO and needs to be addressed. 

Do note that if BSP is the master (sync = INT), everything works as it should.  It's only when Sync = MIDI that this problem occurs. 

"Stop on the DAW -> BSP in Pause
Play on the DAW  -> BSP will re start from the beginning"

^  This does not happen with the External clock jack when BSP is slaved!!!  Clocks keep going to the external clock Jack when BSP is 'paused'.  Fail.

Arturia needs to address this. 

EDIT: From my testing, I think what's happening is that the BSP is leaving the run/stop DIN SYNC pin high, when the BSP is 'paused'.  The 'clock' pin stops sending clocks.  This means that it's impossible to reset any gear synced via the external clock back to 1, when the BSP is the slave, without hitting the stop button on the BSP itself.  This is a departure from firmware 1.1.1.6 and below.  In the older firmwares, any external 'pause' or 'stop' messages were interpreted to the external clock jack as the run/stop pin going LOW.  Essentially resetting back to 1, no matter a pause or a stop.  This means that in the older firmwares, you couldn't do a 'pause and continue' with the external jack.  On new firmwares, you can't do a 'stop and reset back to 1' solely from a MIDI master other than the BSP. 

Since there's only a tip, ring, and a sleeve for the external jack, there is no possibility for true 'pause' or 'stop' messages in this case, as the external clock's run/stop pin is either high or low.  It would be my personal preference to forego the 'pause and continue' function and instead, any stoppage of the BSP's clock would result in a full stop (run/stop pin low) on the external clock jack.  I see how some could want this the other way, so maybe a toggle in the MIDI CC would be an option. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:50:16 pm by rnrjosh »

Riinehart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:20:49 pm »
Has there been any update to this issue?

I'm having (I believe) the same problem, trying to use a BSP (synced to Reaper) to control some other hardware. When I sync the BSP to USB/Reaper, as soon as I press Play it immediately Pauses.

I've tried every possible combination in the midi settings, but no luck. The only way I can get this to not happen is if I sync the BSP to Internal, but that's obviously not what I want.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Has this been addressed at all since the other replies in this thread?

Many thanks.

Riinehart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 03:18:43 am »
Anyone? Is anyone using their BSP slaved to Reaper?

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »
Hi Riinehart,
Has there been any update to this issue?
This is not an issue. This is MIDI protocol. Try doing the same on a DAW and you will see. If former firmware was not behaving like this, it was behaving badly.
Same goes for Clock In/Out. There no bug in what rnrjosh is describing.

Now, what you describe is different. I guess something is not well configured. There is a FAQ article about configuring Reaper with BSP:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-1e9zXr5JIlMDNPRDN1bEE0NGc/edit

Regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines