March 28, 2024, 07:09:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark physical unit  (Read 7723 times)

ClydeLyman

Spark physical unit
« on: November 04, 2015, 04:18:25 am »
I have the Spark from Collection 3. It looks like some VERY serious drum machinery: Probably as advanced as any dedicated drum box can get. I have the chance to get a physical Spark of the same appearance, Will that work with the software I have?

Thank you

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Spark physical unit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 11:46:17 am »
Hi , yes it will

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

ClydeLyman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:52:33 pm »
Thanks

ClydeLyman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:01:36 pm »
Just a bit more:
i ordered from ebay a Spark hardware console

To start with, I know little about drum machines, My sole experience with them is a Yamaha RX-8 and that' just the basics. So the idea of using a hardware/software unit is challenging. Then I saw briefly that Spark is not just one drumbox but several. THAT sounded interesting. Now I am 70 years of age plus my eyesight is Tres Abominoable; to the point where I can no longer read the printed page. To get some knowledge of how this beast works I viewed and downloaded the videos here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZ6GBRLEGk&list=RDqmZ6GBRLEGk#t=176 Now he cites a problem or two one being using song position markers (which, at this point means nothing to me)

My uses for Spark would be twofold VST and live play
The music I do best fall into two genres: 1 psychedelic and it's follow-on Progrock. hence my love affair with Collection 3 which I got at a good price and 2. oldies/"doowop". I had planned to kind of downplay drums to just the bare-bones basic then took a look at Spark and the YouTube material and I very much liked what I saw. Now as for the music I plan to use it for. Psychedelic and Progrock would use a bass in the rhythm section more than a synth (although having one is not bad) So If I had to choose between a bass and synth, I would prefer the bass. Oldies/doowop bass, because of the recording and playback hardware had bass that was little more than a pitched "bmp"; being played on a "doghouse" or trying to sound like it and the level of low-end fidelity for a teenager's record player, with it's 7.12 cm speaker playing a 39 cent record, the whole low-end fiedelity was next to nil. So, what I'd be needing would be drums from the 1950's to the 1970's and a few basses more than the synth. Also what would be interesting to use some time was those electronic "drums" from the Lowery and Hammond organ "rhythm sections" or the ones Maestro put together that pre-dated the Linn's, Drumulator and DrumTrax. Even the Korg 2500 was interesting since it let you merge patterns and thing

Also, what would be nice would be a "junior edition" of the Spark software in some kind of physical package that included software (drum kits and some patterns that you could create on the main computer and store, with some limited edit functionality from the control panel),  and an audio output so that you could hook it up to the controller and use it as a live drum machine out on the road and not have to drag around a computer or laptop

In terms of VST I have Kreative Kristal and Presonus free studio, Reaper and Lunix Multimedia Systesm DAW's, which is where I would use Spark as a plugin, and since it has it's own mixer, I would use the output form that as it's own bus which would save all kinds of tracks on the DAW mixer, which, since it would be carrying both drums and bass, would be a huge savings on tracks

ClydeLyman

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:49:01 pm »
Now all I need to do is learn how to do countoffs and intros

ClydeLyman

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:06:14 am »
The physical unit has not come in yet so I'm just fooling around with the software and watching the tuts and having fun. However I can't get the metronome working by clicking <Select> then <Tap> and I also don't know what version I have and whether I need to updated. I got the software as part of Collection 3 earlier this year

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:09:24 pm »
The physical unit has not come in yet so I'm just fooling around with the software and watching the tuts and having fun. However I can't get the metronome working by clicking <Select> then <Tap> and I also don't know what version I have and whether I need to updated. I got the software as part of Collection 3 earlier this year
I wonder if you ordered yours from the same seller (sne_98226) I'm considering ordering one from. I prefer the Spark CDM model to the SparkLE model due to the LCD screen and more knobs (per pad rather than just the 3 on the right)
Have you received your unit yet? How long has it taken to get to you? Most importantly, does it work?
:)
This space left intentionally blank.

ClydeLyman

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »
The controller came in but I can't get it up and running. I have the software with collection 3. Here is what happened

I took it out of the box, connected it what happened was the interface screen lit up and the FILTER, SLICER and ROLLER switches lit. a dialog box came up on my computer telling me that it was installing and it had to get the drivers from Windows Update then after a few minutes it said the device is ready to use. Still nothing. I activiated the SPARK software and waited. the LCD screen and FILTER, SLICER and ROLLER pads stayed lit. I shut the controller off and then the software and disconnected the USB. I turned the software on, connected the controller and powered up and waited. The Transport switches briefly flashed and the usual four parts on the effects section lit up but no play. the software is working because drum pads and and transport switches work on the image, but not the controller. From what I understand it is Plug n Play. A CD came with it but I haven't used it

I do not know where to go from here. It's a shame I can't read the manual. it looks hefty and full of good stuff, but my days of reading the printed page appear to have gone the way of the Dodo and giant Moa

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 10:47:55 pm »
Hi does spark try to connect or have you tried the connect button at the top of the spark gui. see screen shot

what does spark say after trying to connect.

regards

Terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

ClydeLyman

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:16:03 am »
Got it! This thing is unbelievable.

Now only two things remain:

1. To start the metronome, I follow the instructions given in the tutorial. hold down Select and press Tap but nothing happens

when I connect the update dialog box comes up, I have trued several times. The first time I was told that the tryct_1 folder was missing from the Spark Library. How that happened I have no idea. So I went there and created one. Now when I try to do so I get taken to the folder and under that, a blank filename box appears and a filetype box with "spu" but there seems to be now wat to download anything

Also there appears to be two names, the software is Vintage Drum Machine but the hardware is Creative Drum Machine. They look identical and it works so far

This is the first drum machine that ever impressed me. prior to looking at the Spark, I never really gave a damn about drums save as just a background thing but this has so much to play with it captured my interest. It looks like a piece of sci-fi gear and feels like a piece of hard-use laboratory gear. Great job; Arturia

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 02:24:06 am »
Well, I just ordered it off eBay.
SO anxious to get it!  ;D
I sure hope it gets here before I go to my parents' for Thanksgiving, cuz I'll be there almost a week LOL

@ClydeLyman
I'm glad your unit works. ... Did you get it from the same guy I ordered it from? I'm guessing yes, since they had a bunch of 'em in stock, and I didn't see any others (working) for sale.

ClydeLyman

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 05:13:17 pm »
Probably, and I looked at his other items and saw an Analog Lab Keyboard Controller, Wonder if that works with the V Collection 3. It's a bit worn in spots but the price is right, If it's still there on the First of January, I think I'll grab it although I do have an M-Audio Oxygen 49

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 11:29:32 am »
Yep, that's the guy.
That keyboard should work with V Collection 3.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 11:35:23 am »
My Spark CDM should be here today ... or tomorrow \o/ WOO excited  8)

ClydeLyman

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:52 pm »
Let us know. If all goes well, you're in for some fun and wait until you see how that thing is built

Meanwhile, I still have my metronome and update problems

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines