March 28, 2024, 11:24:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Yesterdays Solina updates Analog Delay distort. Poly/ Mono switch don't work.  (Read 14602 times)

LBH

Yesterdays Solina updates Analog Delay distort.
It is as if the input level is too loud, and it's not possible to correct this.

Playing Chords shows most. For instance try play chords using the preset chorale 2 as this shows it fast. But the distortion is in the analog delay in generel.

Also the Poly/ Mono switch don't work.

Arturia please fix this.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:23:42 am by LBH »

bartok2112

Is anyone going to answer this?  I don't want to update yet if this going to be an issue.  My previous is version is working fine.

LBH

I have tried to re-install and that fixed the poly knob issue.

I also tried to reinstall the Solina version i had before, and it actually distort on the Analog delay too. Clear to hear on a preset like Chorale 2.

So i guess the new update works as well as the last one, so it's okay to update.

But i ask Arturia to have a look at the Analog Delay distortion issue. Or am i the only one that have this distortion?

bartok2112

I listened to the Chorale 2 preset and I do get some distortion.  I only tired it with my computer speakers and not my big sound system though.  I'll listen more closely and report back.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
I don't think there's a lot in it.

There's a but of top end distortion right at the high end but bringing down the gain resonance slightly on the1k to 7k range fixes it. It's certainly not on the delay, more the resonance in poly mode.

Great sound btw

Thanks, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

LBH

Thanks for reporting.

Apparantly there is a distortion Arturia should have a look at no matter where the distortion come from.

But i still believe it's the Analog Delay that distort on certain sounds.

The Chorale 2 sound is beautiful.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
That's ok, glad to help out.

In my opinion it's not the delay but the resonance that causes the distortion and you'll only notice it with the delay on because it repeats and the nature of analog delay...

The resonance on the 1.5k - 7.k are on 10 and 6 respectively, i.e. full whack, pulling those back sorts it out a bit. Even with the delay off you can hear it a little bit at that top end but once you take it off you can't hear it. It's more break up then distortion which suggests clipping somewhere.

Just remember to keep everything at 0dB

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

LBH

The sounds of Solina are well below 0db at the output. That's good.

I have no distortion on the Chorale 2 sound if i don't use the Analog Delay, no matter the resonance settings.
Also i have no distortion using Solinas Digital Delay or if i only use external analog and digital delays. That to me say it can't be the resonances that distort. It point at the Solina Analog delay.
Even for hardware vintage delays this type of distortion was and is usually not wanted.

The Solina Analog Delay input may very well be overdriven by resonance settings, but then the Analog delay gain is set wrong as it can't be controled. This was my original thought, and it still is.
Pulling down the resonance is not something you should have to do. It limits the sound possibilyties.

The fact is something distort in a unwanted way. Arturia has to know to be able to do anything about it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:38:27 am by LBH »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Like I say mate, I've dealt with it by bringing down the resonance gain and It's fine now, I no longer get that break up.

Perhaps if you put a support call in to Arturia, they can have a look at it for you.

Thanks, Stuart   
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

LBH

Thanks.
As i have understood Arturia, then they have an eye on the forums.

Cheers

LBH

Re: Yesterdays Solina updates Analog Delay distort. Poly/ Mono switch don't work.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 08:56:55 pm »
It looks like this have been fixed in Solina V2 version 2.0.4.1042.

It's not fixed in Solina V.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines