April 16, 2024, 10:02:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: new BSP and CV pitch questions  (Read 12820 times)

enomis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
new BSP and CV pitch questions
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
Hi all,

I am new here having just recently gotten BSP. Over all I am quite happy with the possibilities it brings but have still have a few things I'm stumped by.

So far I have tried the BSP with a Korg MS-10, Moog Voyager OS, SCI Pro One, MFB Tanzbär and a Roland JX-3P. This is what I have found:

Korg MS-10 - Works great! Once I got the pitch to hz settings ironed out it has been rock solid. I have been sequencing it using the pitch and gate CVs on sequencer one. The pitch fine tuning is dead center on 0 and have had no problem with tuning.

Moog Voyager OS and SCI Pro One - No so much luck with these two. I have the CV set to volts per octave on sequencer two and I am having two issues with this. First, though the synths are tuned and the fine-tuning is at 0, once I plug in the CV from the BSP the tuning gets off by about two half steps. If I trigger a C on the BSP, I get a Bb/A#. Not the end of the world to tune them with the fine-tuning on the synths but it seems odd that this is happening. Anyone else having this issue?

The second issue I've noticed mainly with the Pro One is that I can't get the synth to go into the lowest range. If I sequence the lowest C possible on the BSP and also have the synth oscillators in the lowest octave I am not getting low notes out of the synth. This is definitely odd and more annoying than the previous issue. Any recommendations on this?

To circumvent this issue I have been triggering the Pro One using on of the drum CV outs and routing it to the "click" in on the Pro One. This lets me lock the internal sequencer and arpeggiator of the Pro One to the BSP and do some interesting things. With this approach I have to program notes directly on the Pro One rather than through the BSP.

I have the MFB drum machine receiving MIDI clock from the MIDI out and this has been rock solid so far. The Tanzbär starts and stops in parallel with the BSP. I am doing the drum programming directly on the drum machine. Works really well.

Lastly, I have run another drum CV out to the Roland JX-3P trigger in and synced the synth's internal sequencer with the BSP. This also works quite well since it's possible to alter the rhythm of a straight sequence by simply altering the pattern on the BSP.

So all in all I am quite pleased with the machine. The pitch issues, though, are a bit of a mystery and would appreciate hearing some feedback.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: new BSP and CV pitch questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:53 am »
Hi,
have you tried to change the 0V MIDI Note in the MCC ?

enomis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:50:59 pm »
Hi, where exactly do I find the "OV MIDI note"? Are you referring to the "transpose" value that is listed separately under the Seq1 and Seq2 tabs in the MCC?

I have now changed this "transpose" value on Seq2 and this has solved the octave issue but overall the synth is still out of tune. With the fine tune still at "0" the synth is off by a whole step (roughly). The range of the synth's fine tune isn't wide enough to bring the synth in tune so I have to use both the synth's overall fine tune plus the individual oscillator frequency controls. Once I finally do get a low C tuned, however, a C one or two octaves above is very noticeably out of tune.

enomis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »
Ok scratch all that. I had already been playing with the 0V setting but must have been doing something wrong. Went back and played with it some more and now things are shaping up a bit more. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

dunes

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »
Hi.. I've actually noticed a similar issue with my SCI Pro one..  I am able to get to the low notes via the 0V setting but yeah, the c/v seems to be scaled sort of wrong.. like I tuned my pro one to a C from my bass station 2 but then the Beat Steps keyboard was sounding an F when i played a C..  i retuned the oscillators in the pro one but unfortunately i had to tune osc 1 up an octave to make it work.. again not the end of the world but i didnt have this scaling issue w the korg sq1
Another issue.. I tried sequencing my cs15 with the Hz/V and s-trig... just totally doesnt work..  again i was able to sequence it w the sq1 so i know that its possible

Zymos

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:27:49 pm »
The lowest setting for the 0v note is still pretty high- is anyone else having problems about that?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:30:09 pm »
The lowest setting for the 0v note is still pretty high- is anyone else having problems about that?

Hi the setting is C-2 which is 4 octaves below middle C

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Zymos

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 01:29:33 am »
Ok, might be user error.
    I was trying to use the BSP to calibrate another piece of gear- I needed C2 1v, and C4 3v, and I couldn't manage to make the BSP send out anything lower than 2v no matter what I tried.

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:44 am »
Hey, the 0V note setting has to be read the other way;

Try setting the 0V note to C3 or C4 and everything will be lower in pitch !

Zymos

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 05:23:52 pm »
Thanks Vic-tor!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines