March 28, 2024, 06:26:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What I think Arturia needs right now ( for Gilles and Fred )  (Read 24931 times)

omissis

What I think Arturia needs right now ( for Gilles and Fred )
« on: February 01, 2005, 01:51:35 pm »
Hi

by reading some newsletter and posts, especially on KVR site I realized that something in Arturia policy could be better addressed.

First thing the softsynths, even if great , they need some thorough work around...they need to have dedicated oscillator algorythms and a more "analog" feel, no matter how heavy they will be on CPU ( for example some subtle work must be done around my favourite, the CS80, please make welcome to the ideas I showed to Xavier, I think they catch the right point!);

another absolutely needed thing is to fix as much bugs as it's possible : the quality of your products can't be compromised with badly working code

So it would be a good thing to stop the developement of new things for a while to go into the actual problems of the softwares and remove all the "childhood deseases".

Secondly it would be nice also to have a more responsive website with a less temperamental forum and more news from the team  :wink:

Cheers
max
Max

a CS-80Vist

GeeBee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:42 pm »
I agree that the products must be as perfect as possible ;)
but be careful with the CPU load... if you can only play 2 notes, lol, that's not interesting.

I see you are a CS80Vist lol ;)
Can you tell me how do you use it, because I tried the demo but too much CPU load :( But I admit it sounds great.
be creative

omissis

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:06:53 pm »
I use it mostly live and using the Single Mode, at 16bit. 44-1KHz
Even with this basic settings it is a FANTASTIC synth to play, even if you're not into Vangelis music....

That's why I'm crying for a big improvement on my synth and on the other ones too!!!

Please read my post about CS-80V and tell me what do you think!

http:// http://forums.arturia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=851

M
Max

a CS-80Vist

GeeBee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 04:27:57 pm »
Quote from: "omissis"
I use it mostly live and using the Single Mode, at 16bit. 44-1KHz

So you use one CS80V ?
For me, I want to use more than 1 synth lol. Compose a complete score ;)
But when one instance use 75% CPU (2,66GHz), you can't add other things lol.
be creative

omissis

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:27:59 pm »
Well
That's how I use my synth....I mostly play live and don't program my sounds ... the CS-80V is fantastic this way ( and better could be with some more improvements ) and I like to play like this....

by the way ! I don' t use ONE synth, I use it just like a CS-80...
M
Max

a CS-80Vist

Man-Machine

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 04:42:01 pm »
Quality over quantity. Sound quality should never be compromised on the cost of quantity. Computers get faster everyday, just wait and upgrade. Way back people used to complain on cpu usage for the NI Pro-53 but look now, I can have 20 instances of a Pro-53 running but who cares. My 1 instance of Creamware's Prophet 5 is WAY more accurate and analogue sounding. This is the goal of this company so I hope they keep this in mind.  If your computer is slow, do it like in the old days and record a track at a time. That's how I record everything at 96khz. I don't know many people that could afford more than one CS-80 anyway :) ....
L8er Osci8ers

FabP

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 01:20:29 pm »
We are working at this time on bug corrections and many improvements in the programming, usability and sound of our softsynths.
We have collected many remarks about the sound that will allow us to make some more precise and faithfull emulations of the original synths.
Thanks to our users, we try to reach the best level !!
Fabrice PAUMIER
ARTURIA Marketing Manager

Man-Machine

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 09:15:54 pm »
IMO the benchmark of softsynths are the Creamware emulations.  I have them all.  They're the only softsynths that convinced me to sell some of my analogue hardware. The Minimax is still the best MiniMg emulation around. The problem with Creamware software is that it depends on their soundcard to run. I don't like that idea so much. My dream would be to have Arturia make emulations as good as theirs so that I can ditch that soundcard.  When the new updates arrive I'd be glad to make side by side comparisons (software & hardware) to help improve the sound of Arturia's softsynths...
L8er Osci8ers

Man-Machine

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 10:00:19 pm »
Has anybody read this month's review of the MiniMg V on SoundOnSound magazine? It pretty much said that the MiniMg V is a good softsynth but a disappointing emulation of a MiniMg. It basically list all the deficiencies we've mentioned plus more. It's a good place for Arturia to start when looking to improve it's TAE...
L8er Osci8ers

Frederic Brun

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.arturia.com
read
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 05:27:14 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for your posts and your suggestions.

As Fabrice said we are working on improving TAE, and we plan to release updates for our soft-synths in a close future. I know you'd rather have a more accurate deadline, but the work remaining to be done is hard to evaluate since some aspects are in between research and development.

In any case, just to make things clear: we want to stay ahead when it comes to analog recreation, and we will do our best to cope when/if others do better than us.

As for the Sound On Sound review, we have seen it prior to the printing. Matt Bell (SOS editor) sent it to check facts and we have discussed the review with him at NAMM.

We thought the review was unfair but after talking with Matt there is no doubt Gordon Reid ran the tests seriously and honestly. Still at this moment Xavier and him do not come to the same conclusions on some technical measurements and behaviours.

We started renting another hardware MiniMg yesterday to ran additional tests and see why we do not come to the same results with Gordon Reid.

Frederic Brun
CEO, Arturia

omissis

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 11:36:26 am »
Hi Fred

No matter about the deadline! My wish is that your instruments will be as legendary as their hardware models! I wish that my CS-80V will be freed from all of its "childhood deseases" and tweaked to sound as close to the original as possible!!!

GOOD JOB :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

Frederic Brun

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.arturia.com
Thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 01:33:27 pm »
Thanks Omissis.
That's the plan.

Frederic

Man-Machine

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 05:47:45 pm »
Nice to hear this words from Arturia...

Maybe also take a look at the KVR forum topics regarding the Minimonsta and/or MiniMg V. There are some interesting points in some posts.  MiniMgs can vary from model to model so emulations can also vary but still a couple of things that are unique to all MiniMgs are missing from both softsynths...

Also, take a look at the soft vs. hard shoot out reviews from german keyboards magazine. They compare a real MiniMg with Creamware's Minimax and Arturia's MiniMg V with sound examples and all. I'm sure they had a MiniMg that was different than Creamware's but the results were excellent.
L8er Osci8ers

GeeBee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 02:21:40 pm »
Quote from: "Man-Machine"
The problem with Creamware software is that it depends on their soundcard to run.

Does this card allow you to use less CPU ?
That's a kind of card I would like to have. Something which can support all VSTIs and take audio treatments for itself, so the CPU will be less loaded. :)  :idea:
be creative

omissis

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 05:10:26 pm »
Does this card allow you to use less CPU ?

Creamware cards use their own DSP chips to generate the sounds, so the CPU has very little to do with their synths....

Anyway ManMachine is right:

MiniMgs can vary from model to model so emulations can also vary but still a couple of things that are unique to all MiniMgs are missing from both softsynths...

there are NOT two identical analogs even if they come from the same series, and that's a fact , so the MMV will sound as  the MM-D that Arturia loaned , CS-80V will sound as the Yamaha CS-80 they own at the Company (.... but.... that artifact on RM MOD...what tha..****  :evil: ???? ), and after all no one has to buy MMV or Minimonsta if they don't like them...that's why demos are outta here : download, play them to hell , choose which to buy and.....VAYA CON DIOS 8) !!!
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines