March 28, 2024, 05:26:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MS-20 mini CV pitch issue  (Read 3245 times)

mon3y

MS-20 mini CV pitch issue
« on: October 06, 2015, 04:29:21 am »
Hi,

I'm having pitch issues while sequencing the MS-20 mini using CV.
It is well set to Hz/V and S-trig in the MIDI CC.
It works fine when sequenced using the MIDI.
An other weird thing I noticed is that to have the same note playing in MIDI than in CV, I had to transpose ''Seq1 1V MIDI Note'' up to C2.

The first pic shows how much it's detune after one octave.
The second shows my device settings.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:54:01 am by mon3y »

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: MS-20 mini CV pitch issue
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

An other weird thing I noticed is that to have the same note playing in MIDI than in CV, I had to transpose ''Seq1 1V MIDI Note'' up to C2.

Hi mon3y,

That depend on your synth settings (16', 8'...). It's not a weird thing, it gives you the possibility to play at different octaves. For example if you want your cv-synth plays lower raise the 0v note.
About your pitch issue the tracking may not be really fine on the whole range with all synths (you could use the fine tune on your synths).

mon3y

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 07:07:43 pm »
Hi Valentin,

Thanks for your answer.

Of course, and the 1V MIDI note reference is not a problem anymore, but wouldn't it have seemed more natural to have the BSP send the same notes in CV and in MIDI (for the same exact same settings on the BSP and the synth) ?

For the pitch issue, the problem is a not a matter of fine tuning, and it's not about a slight detune between 4-5 octaves, but only within one octave it's really detuned, which makes the BSP just simply unusable in CV on a Hz/V synth (At least in the tonal music world).

Another detail, the problem doesn't come from the MS-20 since it works fine receiving CV from the Korg SQ-1 sequencer.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks

Xirso

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:02:52 pm »
I had a similar problem in my setup with a semi-modular synth and a midi to cv interface (no beatsteppro). Sending a note to the synth via midi was ok, but if I was sending the same note via CV the octave was too high. It was like the synth was adding the cv value to the last note received over midi. I never really understand the source of this. But, when it happened, I sent the lowest note possible, that my synth was responding to, over midi-in. After doing this the note received via CV was lower. Curious to know, if it's the same behavior on the MS-20.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines