April 26, 2024, 09:48:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Voltage attenuation?  (Read 5845 times)

Old_School

Voltage attenuation?
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:28:08 pm »
I have a Minitaur and a MiniBrute that I'd like to sequence independently. From what I've read I need to attenuate the voltage as to not cook the inputs on the Minitaur. Is this attenuation done with the Beatstep Pro unit itself or do I need an external attenuator? Also can I attenuate one sequencer and leave the other alone so as to get proper CV to both Minitaur and MiniBrute?

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: Voltage attenuation?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:58:37 am »
Hi,
The output gates are set to 12V and there's no way to attenuate them, the pitch range is roughly 0 to 10V. If you need to attenuate the gates you'll have to find or make one.

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:40:28 pm »
For lower gate voltages you could try a simple resistor voltage divider - Two 10k resistors from hot to ground will give half the voltage (approx 5- 6v)  where the resistors join. Can be built inside a lead. ;)

Old_School

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:53:51 am »
OK well at this point I'd look into some kind of modular component that steps down voltages.

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:34 am »
KOMA do cable adaptors with a built in attenuator, this could be a easy and space-saving solution !

http://koma-elektronik.com/?product=koma-attenuator-cable

(I know another brand does this but can not remember the name.)

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:07:32 pm »
For lower gate voltages you could try a simple resistor voltage divider - Two 10k resistors from hot to ground will give half the voltage (approx 5- 6v)  where the resistors join. Can be built inside a lead. ;)

Right. A simple voltage divider should work great.

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 04:16:36 pm »
You can also use the VELO CV out as a variable voltage GATE. A value of 50 will give a 5 volt gate. Using this method you can have gates from 12 volts to anything lower that you might need. Using this method my SH101 triggered on each step in GATE+ TRIG mode ( I know it takes higher gates without problems) but almost all other CV gate synths and the SH101 in GATE mode will require the next step after the VELO gate voltage to be 01= 0 volts otherwise it's just a constant gate or hold voltage. So using this method requires two steps per note and velo values 50,01,50,01,50,01,50,01 gives a four note sequence with 5 volt gates using 8 steps. I can confirm that the voltage divider lead also works on the GATE out.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:35:51 pm by vykaar »

Old_School

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 05:01:37 pm »
The KOMA cable looks simple enough but from what I saw of it there does't seem a way to know how much the attenuation is. The CP-251 looks like it could step down -5v but that's a $400 solution.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 11:18:56 pm »
The KOMA cable looks simple enough but from what I saw of it there does't seem a way to know how much the attenuation is. The CP-251 looks like it could step down -5v but that's a $400 solution.

It doesn't really matter does it? Set it to full attenuation and very gradually raise it till the device starts responding reliably, and you're in the right zone

roro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »
Hi!

What is a VELO CV?

Isn't it possible to use a fixed voltage divider with a trimming potentiometer? (To get just a bit more control.)

You can also use the VELO CV out as a variable voltage GATE. A value of 50 will give a 5 volt gate. Using this method you can have gates from 12 volts to anything lower that you might need. Using this method my SH101 triggered on each step in GATE+ TRIG mode ( I know it takes higher gates without problems) but almost all other CV gate synths and the SH101 in GATE mode will require the next step after the VELO gate voltage to be 01= 0 volts otherwise it's just a constant gate or hold voltage. So using this method requires two steps per note and velo values 50,01,50,01,50,01,50,01 gives a four note sequence with 5 volt gates using 8 steps. I can confirm that the voltage divider lead also works on the GATE out.

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »
It is just the name Arturia have chosen for the second variable voltage output jack but it can be sent to any voltage controlled input ( VCA, VCF, etc...).
I would have called it AUX CV like on Kenton MIDI boxes.
Yes you can use a pot instead of fixed resistors to lower the gate output voltage but I have not needed to.

Steinberger

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 11:09:45 pm »
Yeah AUX CV is a good name for it and it's so useful too. I also use a KORG SQ-1 along side the BSP in the same way with the SQ-1 set to 2x8 mode.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines