March 29, 2024, 12:22:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Paint Rubbing Off  (Read 4669 times)

FilmCompos3r

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Paint Rubbing Off
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:25:58 am »
Strange thing, had the Arturia Keylab for a few months now and it appear the paint used to make markings on the controls is simply evaporating. I noticed it was just "gone" in several places, and then if I touch areas that are still present it actually smudges.

What gives? Anyone else have this problem? I haven't used any cleaners on it...I live in LA, and it's hot here, but I use AC most of the time.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:50:06 pm by FilmCompos3r »

Dav1d

Re: Paint Rubbing Off
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 04:52:48 pm »
The best is to contact support, this issue is not normal

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:24:17 pm »
I've seen this a lot with guitar hardware, and synths.

More often than not, the user has a diet that consists a great deal of unhealthy consumption.

Basically, if a diet is so bad that it can strip paint, then it will.

Not sure if this applies to you or not, but if Taco Bell or similar is a large part of your consumption, your outflow will reflect it.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

FilmCompos3r

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:43:10 pm »
Hah well I usually eat a salad for dinner....true, it is a Southwest salad...hmmm..

But yes I suppose I'll contact support.

Kimbo72

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 01:32:15 am »
Let hope not all the Keylab 88 have this same problem.  :-\

Tausendberg

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:55:24 pm »
My paint is the same as the day it came out of the box. I've heard of this problem before on this forum but I don't think it affects all Keylab 88s

Tausendberg

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:54:02 am »
damn, I have the same problem now

Spencer_Spencer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:02:06 pm »
This just started happening to mine! But it's been sat in my room for a few weeks untouched... hasn't happened with all the gigging I've been doing previous to this??

Emporio

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 11:33:44 pm »
I got this happening on mine too.  I posted it on here ages ago but got no response.
In the end, I'm not so bothered as I've relabelled the keyboard to suit my setup anyhow

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 11:04:40 pm »
Yeah, I've only had mine for about 2 months, and it's already pretty bad. I rest my palm a lot below the first fader (which I use for volume, because I like faders better than encoders for volume), and the line is almost completely gone. I've noticed it smudge in one sitting, I believe at higher temperature and humidity. I'm in the tropics, so that's like all the time.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 03:39:27 am »
Dang, what's everyone eating.

I've had my "The Laboratory 49" for 4 years, and not a single artifact, and I use it constantly.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

Eric Barker

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 11:37:57 pm »
It's not just my skin, I've seen other things smudge the paint. It's usually when it gets pretty hot or sunny out. Keep in mind different products use different kinds of paints. Humidity and temperature can effect the paint as well.

I seriously doubt a "bad diet" is what's causing this. I eat pretty healthy anyway: vegetarian and mostly home-cooked meals from scratch. But I find it a bit unscientific, as well as more than a little demeaning, to jump to the conclusion of life-style choices being the culprit for a product's failure.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »
It's not just my skin, I've seen other things smudge the paint. It's usually when it gets pretty hot or sunny out. Keep in mind different products use different kinds of paints. Humidity and temperature can effect the paint as well.

I seriously doubt a "bad diet" is what's causing this. I eat pretty healthy anyway: vegetarian and mostly home-cooked meals from scratch. But I find it a bit unscientific, as well as more than a little demeaning, to jump to the conclusion of life-style choices being the culprit for a product's failure.

I meant no offense Eric.
I'm just speaking from the experience of my guitar repair business, and how I see corroded hardware from kids who eat nothing but Taco Bell, and they wonder why they have bad acne and why their hardware plating is acidizing & such.  My comment wasn't meant as an attack on you, as I have had no insight into your health habits until you just provided clarification.  I was just making a generalized offering of information for an added perspective.

You are correct, one's geographical environment can indeed influence the issue, as well as quality, or lack of, the original paint job.

I live in the Seattle area, where we get very consistent rain except for about 8 weeks each year.  Personally, I've had my Laboratory 49 since March/2012 and it's always in the same room with climate control, and I have not personally had any issues with mine.  Perhaps mine is the exception.

Eric Barker

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 09:44:19 pm »
From my experience, Seattle's not that humid, even though it rains a lot. Tropics here, extremely humid and fairly hot, all the time. But this never happened with my Alesis QS. Sure it was 16 years old and lots of paint flaked away over time and use, but not this smudging.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 10:10:01 pm »
From my experience, Seattle's not that humid, even though it rains a lot. Tropics here, extremely humid and fairly hot, all the time. But this never happened with my Alesis QS. Sure it was 16 years old and lots of paint flaked away over time and use, but not this smudging.

We get more muggy in the late summer, early fall, otherwise, it's just cool moist air with exception to about 8 weeks of perfect 85 degree summer days.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines