March 28, 2024, 11:22:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to create more 'space' in my sound  (Read 4246 times)

Macher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to create more 'space' in my sound
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »
Hi,

Im a noob when it comes to the MicroBrute, but I was wondering about this;
Iĺd like to create a high pitched sound with lots of reverb surrounding it. That way I could try and recreate my aural image of raindrops or snowflakes falling. I've been tinkering around a lot - but so far haven't been able to create the 'space' surrounding the notes. Does it make sense to anyone?
If you have any idea on what I could try to achieve this - I would be grateful

davidtruscott

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to create more 'space' in my sound
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »
Macher-
   This is going to sound weird but I think you need to be more specific-are you trying to make a bubble or liquid kind of sound?  I think that watery-ness can come from high amount of resonance maybe in the 80-90% range.  Use a very short or gated envelope.  It sounds like you want a sound that is itself short but has an airiness around it.  Achieving that may be a matter of just choosing or tweaking the right reverb.  Things I do when trying to develop a sound: run a simple slow sequence (in your case in a high octave) and slowly change parameters to dial in the sound.  If you are using the brute's own sequencer, try to insert rests of one or two steps to give the notes a chance to sound between each-other.  I guess if you can find an example of the sound and post it that would help a lot.
DT

Macher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
@davidruscott
Thanks for your answer. I think particularly the 'trick' of adding rests can help me get further. I'll let you know when I've succeeded

davidtruscott

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:00:31 pm »
Hi Macher-
I have been thinking about your proposed sound and thought I'd give it a little go today.  I made the patch:
http://mbpatches.com/micro/?id=3825   (I found that sustain at 50% also produced good results)
and recorded it from the microbrute into a xenyx 1202 mixer (straight, no EQ or effects) into a Komplete Audio 6 into Ableton.  In Ableton I put an auto-pan effect (not a preset, I just set Amt to 78.6%, Rate to .65hz, Phase to 240 degrees and Shape to 33.3%, which makes into a soft square wave, panning gently, but not overly predictably, left to right).  That track was 100% sent to both the master and return A.  On return A, I put the reverb preset 'large factory' and return A was itself sent about 75% to the simple delay preset 'dotted quarter note' on return B.  I used these presets because I like them and if you have as low as the standard version of Ableton, you have them, I did not alter them. Finally, on the brute itself, I used some sequence I made a while back and tapped the tempo until it felt slow.  While the sequence ran, I manually changed the release time on the envelope and the rate of the sequence to inject a little randomness, similar to the randomness with which ran falls.
This is the result:
https://soundcloud.com/instantiate/rain1
The above is enough detail so that you could replicate the patch almost completely, assuming you have the same or similar gear.  The simple version of the signal chain is this: micro to auto pan to reverb with a little delay.  Even if this is very far from what you had in mind in your first description I hope you find it interesting or inspiring.
DT

Macher

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:52 am »
Thanks for the input.
I'll try it later today.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines