April 19, 2024, 02:45:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Recording CCs  (Read 4281 times)

faster

Recording CCs
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:16:39 pm »
I was wondering if BSP can record midi messages of assigned buttons/pots etc (like filter sweep for example) to any of the 2 or 3 sequencers?

Can the 2 sequencers control/sequence two synths in iPad? I want to use BSP only with iPad

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:19:06 pm by faster »

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Recording CCs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:11 pm »
I'm not sure about recording MIDI messages, I haven't tried that yet so I'll have to leave that for someone else to answer.

The BSP can indeed control multiple synths via USB/MIDI.  I was able to get it to drive 3 different synth apps at the same time on an iPad 2 using different MIDI channels, with no clashes.  Note that you'll need an iPad camera connection kit for the USB cable, and possibly also an UNpowered USB hub or USB to MIDI cable to get the iPad to talk to the BSP.  You also need to run Audiobus on the iPad to allow multiple synths to play simultaneously.

faster

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:04:35 am »
Thanks Stutz :)

That's great that you can play  a couple of synths on ipad, I was hoping for that ;D...I know that BSP is a bit overkill for ipad only, (with all the hardware outs) but I don't find anything as good as this in price range/size, 3 sequencers etc....

What does the record button record then? Shouldn't it record movement of pots, if they are assigned to something? I downloaded the manual but didn't see that part yet...

Anybody care to volunteer recording a twist of a pot...? filter, delay... pleeeaasssee?

PS About the cables,...I got a camera kit cable, but want to get also that Y cable to feed power into BSP from a battery pack (RAVPower 16000mAh thing)...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:12:59 am by faster »

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:25:21 pm »
The micro USB Y-cable comes with the BSP.  It's official purpose is to avoid ground loops when using analog gear with a computer, but just happens to be necessary to get iPad to talk to it (thanks Apple...)

I just checked with Ableton live lite 8 in windows 7 - if I plug a midi keyboard into the BSP, even in control mode Ableton only receives single notes with no pitch or modulation control.  If I record MIDI from the BSP in ableton and throttle the pitch knob up and down, nothing is recorded.  If I plug the same keyboard into a MIDI-USB cable and connect it to the computer, ableton registers poly notes and if I record just throttling the pitch knob, you can see the pitch bend envelope in the clip view.
Sorry to say it doesn't appear to record controls, at least I couldn't figure it out anyway.

As far as recording on the BSP, it doesn't seem to record anything in control mode.  When in sequencer mode, turning the knobs only changes the note of the a particular step, but that can be done without being in record mode.  Of course recording is most useful to play a sequence on the pads or from an external keyboard, but obviously it will be monophonic and quantized to the steps (with velocity & gate time).

Don't let me put you off though!  As a beginner I've learned more in 5 minutes with the BSP than the hour I spent the first time I tried to get a sound out of Ableton.  I guess the idea of a sequencer like this is so that you have the time and focus to be able to tweak your filters and envelopes while it churns out the loops.  Plus if you're a hopeless non-musician like me you can record a pattern and then fine tune it back into something intelligible!

faster

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 05:01:13 pm »
Thanks a lot for your time and testing :)

As I "imagined"  its functions, I thought that you have a template of assigned CCs to the pots and you don't  need to be in controller mode, to record assigned CCs...Did you try in iPad or with hardware?

Honestly it put me off a bit, I was actually deciding from who to buy...still a great controller with 3 sequencers...this gives me time to investigate it better...hopefully they fix all the bugs and fulfill some user requests

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it  :)

PeterWolf

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:46:21 pm »
Hi there,
Some people is asking for an easy way to record CCs in each sequence, for example changing the velocity to a CC value via the midi control center, or access three CC values with shift+pitch/velo/gate.
Also one guy claims that he has heard ans seen recording of a CC directly through the BSP in an 'elektron parameter lock style' on the facebook BSP group. But I can't find the post anymore...

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:09:48 pm »
I guess if you really wanted to you could try to intercept the MIDI stream with Puredata and convert the velocity or note to another CC signal like PeterWolf suggests.  I think it's been said that velocity signal is only sent with gate of an active note, so it might only be a discreet value/pulse anyway.
Perhaps one could also connect the drum gates to switch relays controlling disco lights if they were really keen! ::)  Either way, I just don't think this is the right tool for the job?

I don't know much about it but would this help at all?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/760522-small-portable-scratchpad-midi-sequencer.html

faster

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:13:41 pm »
I guess if you really wanted to you could try to intercept the MIDI stream with Puredata and convert the velocity or note to another CC signal like PeterWolf suggests.  I think it's been said that velocity signal is only sent with gate of an active note, so it might only be a discreet value/pulse anyway.
Perhaps one could also connect the drum gates to switch relays controlling disco lights if they were really keen! ::)  Either way, I just don't think this is the right tool for the job?

I don't know much about it but would this help at all?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/760522-small-portable-scratchpad-midi-sequencer.html

No, that's not what I want...I really want this BSP, because I only have iPad and want to be able to load a couple of synths in AB and jam away, surely the CVs and other outputs are "wasted", but I like the size, 3 sequencers, controllers, even if it doesn't record midi, (which is a pity), but that's the way it is.

Most of the older sequencers are a PITA, and I owned them and that's it. There was a great midi controller made by waveidea "bitshape 3x" (I think) and it did everything, recording etc...but they went under:(

I like the portability of BSP and functions...
I don't know, it seems to me that it shouldn't be so complicated to make BSP to record CCs, program changes, pitch,...

LAST question ;)...the drum sequencer..does it have preset sounds, or does it tap into your software and plays your sounds?

Thank you two :D

Zymos

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 08:23:10 pm »
There are no sounds in the BSP whatsoever, it just outputs MIDI.

I'd highly doubt Arturia can make this thing do a lot more than it already does. You could remap the velocity to something else using software pretty easily. Or even the pitch,for that matter....

Airyck

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:36:49 pm »
It should be possible for this to be added in an update.  The device can record MIDI note, velocity, length etc...  The MIDI system is there and as long as there is enough memory for CC data storage it would just be a matter of implementing this functionality.  It theoretically "could" happen without a hardware change FYI.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines