April 16, 2024, 04:22:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using a stereo splitter cable for dual midi out? (driving miss volca)  (Read 4436 times)

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I don't currently have any kind of MIDI splitter or switch, but I would like to be able to use my BSP with both a Volca Keys and Meeblip Anode at the same time (both have MIDI in only) but the BSP only has a single MIDI out.
I have been thinking of getting a MIDI Y-splitter cable or something like this but I wanted to check first if there may be an easier option.  Could I simply use a stereo splitter from the BSP MIDI out and connect both BSP MIDI cables to that?

Is there any other way to use the BSP with multiple MIDI outputs without a computer or dedicated switch box?

I've tried connecting the BSP's drum gates and/or "clock out" to the sync input of my Volca Keys and use it's own sequencer but I haven't been able to get that to work correctly.  The clock output triggers the Volca WAY too fast on 24 ppqn, and loses sync quickly using 1 pulse per step.  The drum gate almost works with a beat every step, but again the Volca loses sync in a few bars, using 1 beat every 4 steps seems to work better but any notes on SEQ1 or SEQ2 cause the Volca to jump ahead extra beats.

edit: also tried using sync out from Volca to clock in of the BSP but again was not able to get a sensible sync.

I'd really love to get this gear to cooperate together somehow.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:36:19 pm by StutzJr »

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Using a stereo splitter cable for dual midi out? (driving miss volca)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 03:36:15 pm »
I think a midi thru box is the best way - midi can't be split two ways reliably like a clock signal or gate without buffering.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:32:57 am by vykaar »

RichMakeGame

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »
According to this thread the y splitter idea does work:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85373.0

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:09:51 pm »
After rummaging around I haven't found my old y-splitter but I'll pick one up tomorrow and try it.  I'll let you know if it works

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:39:46 am »
So I found one of my old stereo Y-splitter plugs in my dad's shed and tried it out today.  Happily I can report that it does work!
I plugged the stereo splitter plug into the MIDI out port of the BSP and the two grey 3.5mm to MIDI DIN sockets into the splitter plug.
I can drive my Volca Keys with Sequencer 1 on MIDI channel 1 and my Meeblip Anode with Sequencer 2 on MIDI channel 2 and they both work independently.  There are no clashes and I can change patterns or transpose (linked or unlinked) with no hassles.

I did have an issue when I plugged in my iPad via USB however.  When I try to run a drum program (ie. DM1) on the iPad via Sequencer 3 on MIDI channel 10, the drum hits do not fire if a note is played on the same beat on SEQ1 or SEQ2.  If I mute SEQ1 and SEQ2 the drums work, but if I unmute either SEQ, for any beat with a note the synth plays but the drum does not.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:19:47 am »
about the ipad not working right: is this only with the Y-splitter being in use, or just a general issue?

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:12:00 am »
I'm pretty sure It's only with the y-splitter in use.  I'll check when I get home tonight, but I think I can use a single Midi device on the midi out and the ipad via usb without clashes.
Definitely something I need to check though.

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 03:22:07 pm »
Well it turns out that it does work, but it depends on the app.  I just happened to have tested it with the two iPad apps I had that it didn't work with!
I was able to use the BSP to sequence to MIDI and USB without any clashes using Thor, Lorentz, Laplace and Soundprism.  It also worked with Alchemy but was a little tricky to figure out (i just need to learn the app).
I was NOT able to get it to sequence to DM1 or "modular" without clashes.

This setup also seemed to work fine with Ableton live lite 8 and Sunvox in Windows 7.

Edit: sunvox not sunrizer (don't have it so could not test)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:26:27 pm by StutzJr »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines