April 24, 2024, 10:07:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Randomness - Beatstep Pro vs Beatstep  (Read 6373 times)

davest

Randomness - Beatstep Pro vs Beatstep
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:02:38 am »
Hello

Just got a Beatstep Pro after having used the original Beatstep for about half a year.

After some playing around, I'm wondering how their respective Randomness functions compare technically.

More specifically, I've always really liked the random note play on the original Beatstep (under shift+12, where the Pro has the new Triplet function), and I'm currently trying to achieve the same 'simple' randomness on the Pro.

Turning both Randomness and Probability knobs on the Pro to 100 - i.e. a 100% probability of 100% randomness - seems to come closest, which makes sense, but I'd like to know what I am (or rather it is ;)) doing. It's hard to tell since, unlike the original Beatstep, the Pro in random mode doesn't visualize which notes are played when. Or is there a way to change that?

Any insights welcome

RichMakeGame

Re: Randomness - Beatstep Pro vs Beatstep
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:18:55 am »
I don't think random on the bsp is necessarily picking steps at random to play, like you'd see on a cv sequencer (or the bs by the sound of it). more like taking the data that's there and altering it a bit or a lot. I too would be interested to know more about how the algorithm works

davest

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:33:02 pm »

Hi Rich, yes that's the feeling I had too, thanks for wording it a lot clearer :)

I'd really like the Beatstep Pro to be able to do the (visualised) random step picking the way the Beatstep does. If it's not possible currently, it would be great if Arturia could add that in a software update as a second option under the Triplet button or something along those lines.

Could anyone from Arturia shed a light on this please?

verstaerker

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:24 am »
i miss this random mode as well ... some days ago a friend with a BS was here and i noticed this device has this random mode - i was kind of shocked. Why did someone decide to remove this function on the PRO device?
the random-probability Mode is a very different thing ... i find this not as useful as random-step mode

it would be very nice if Arturia bring this mode back with a software update

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines