March 29, 2024, 05:09:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Experience with Keylab & Komplete?  (Read 8259 times)

AlienableTone

Experience with Keylab & Komplete?
« on: March 01, 2018, 06:14:07 pm »
Okay, maybe not a super popular topic around here but did some research and really couldn't find much feedback on this one.

I'm really interested in a keylab as my next controller. I'm a huge V Collection fan but I do have other VSTs (Komplete 11 for starters) that I'd like to use as well.

My question is, and sorry if this is obivous to some (noob alert), what's some Komplete users' experience with the Keylab? If I create a custom mapping for Komplete Kontrol (that I'd use as a VST in Live 9.5), will these remain saved every time I open a new session or will I have to re-map everything every time?

I might also consider a keylab essential for quicker access to mappings, so same question here. I'll mainly use the V Collection which is why I'm 90% sold. But if I hear that the experience becomes miserable when using other VSTs, I might reconsider... The Komplete Kontrol keyboards have excellent mappings with NKS instruments. Not expecting that level of integration with a Keylab but curious...

Thanks!

lyniv

Re: Experience with Keylab & Komplete?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:55:08 pm »
I don't have any answers, but am also interested in hearing from anyone that has keylab working with Komplete in cool ways!

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
Re: Experience with Keylab & Komplete?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:13 pm »
Not sure why it wouldn't be a popular topic. Kontakt is the #1 sampler, and probably accounts for 1/2 of all software instruments anyone ever uses. The Komplete package is SOLID, Massive is my Go-To synth. I've never even touched the Arturia V collection besides the Prophet and Oberheim VIs. I use my KeyLab88 with mostly NI stuff, as I've had Komplete for years, and it makes up the cornerstone of my VIs. Though I also use instruments from Korg, Arturia, G-Force, Roli and many others. A keyboard controller that's built for a particular piece of software is a mistake, IMO. And that's why I love the Keylab, and think the NI Komplete Kontrol is a bad idea. The Keylab is a generic controller, all it's controls are CC MIDI outputs, you can use them with any piece of software. It's not designed for any Arturia-specfic software in mind, though it interfaces just fine with it, and you may get some pre-mapping percs. The Komplete Kontrol, on the other hand, all it's bells & whistles (like the lights) are specific to NIs proprietary software. You can use the board with anything, but a lot of the selling-point features will be crippled. As much as I love NI instruments, I don't use them all the time, and I run all of this under Apple MainStage, of which NI Komplete Kontrol has no interfacing with, beyond it's basic midi features. As I see it, when you compare the Keylab to the KK side-by-side, if you remove all of the KKs proprietary features, the Keylab wins hands down, and is cheaper. I have no first-hand experience with the KK, though, so there could be something about it that blows me away. Maybe the keybed is amazing, but I suspect it's just another Fatar like the Keylab, Kurzweil, and the rest.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:15:16 pm by Eric Barker »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines