March 28, 2024, 11:23:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to sync LFO to external MIDI clock from Reaper  (Read 3732 times)

gorsefan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to sync LFO to external MIDI clock from Reaper
« on: August 25, 2015, 08:00:41 pm »
Apologies for the probably stupid question.  I have a MicroBrute connected to a Windows box (7 Pro, 64 bit) running Reaper (latest version, v5/x64) via USB.  The manual sez;

When the LFO is sync’d to MIDI Clock (via the settings accessed in the
MicroBrute editor software) or the Sequencer, the rate control will change between
fixed time divisions of the incoming or Seq clock.

OK

The Rate and the LFO sync can be set within the MicroBrute Editor. In the editor, you
can set whether the LFO is Free-running or Reset on each note.
Free-running – a free running LFO will have a set rate that does not change.
Reset – the LFO can reset to a default start point on each Note/Sequencer
Gate. This allows you to have the LFO start at the same point on each note on
message.

I assume Microbrute Connection is the "MicroBrute Editor", but I cannot see a "Free running" or "Reset" option. I can see an LFO retrigger switch under "Module Parameters" which is not it.

Sync
This will allow the LFO to run on it’s own clock (or external MIDI clock source) in the
FREE setting or have it tied to the timing of the Sequencer with the SEQ setting.

OK.  Imagine I am holding down one note on the MB keyboard (for 8 minutes), and I want the LFO to wobble in time with the MIDI clock sent from the DAW (Reaper), and stay in time.  So;
  • I set the LFO sync on the hardware to FREE.
  • In Reaper I set it to send "Send clock/SPP to output" on the Microbrute MIDI device(s).
  • I start recording, or playing back my long single MIDI note

...but it doesn't sync.  I can hear it is not locked to different "fixed time divisions of the incoming clock", as the LFO rate changes smoothly with changes to the Rate knob, and changing the BPM in the DAW has no effect on the LFO.

In Microbrute Connection if I click the SYNC knob to "Ext" or "Auto", it makes no difference.

What am I doing wrong please? :)

Bacon

Re: How to sync LFO to external MIDI clock from Reaper
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:15:57 am »
Set LFO Sync on the hardware to Seq. That should do the trick.

gorsefan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to sync LFO to external MIDI clock from Reaper
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »
Aarrgh yes that works, thanks! DAW syncs Sequencer BPM which the LFO syncs to.

Which implies the LFO sync doesn't work or the manual is wrong :) but it solved my prob

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines