March 28, 2024, 10:21:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Editor for Origin  (Read 7769 times)

rmm123

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Editor for Origin
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:17:32 am »
I  picked up a Nord Micro Modular today.
I paired this with its editor running on a windows 10 tablet.
What a fantastic setup and a great sound.  For me this is an excellent learning tool.

You know,  this is exactly how they should have designed the Origin - with a Mac / PC editor

Just imagine how powerful and friendly the origin would be if they would design a computer Dior interface.

If they did this they could resurrect and absolutely cream the market with such a great piece of hardware.

Why have they not thought of this.  The programming side would so easy now that the hardware has been developed.

pstnotpd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Editor for Origin
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:08:20 pm »
IMHO and coming from owning a Nord G2 for years its strenght is also its weakness compared to the Origin. You will always need a computer to fully exploit the Nords whereas the Origin is a self contained machine which, in principle, doesn't need a computer attached for anything other that backups and import/export.

So yes, an Origin editor in any form would be brilliant, but I don't feel it should have been designed with that from the start.

rmm123

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:59:57 pm »
Totally agree with that but it is sad that no one picked up on that missing feature of an editor and pushed Arturia to develop it.

Like the Nord - they seemed to have such a following that even 3rd party editors like the Java/open source version was developed.  Maybe Nord was more generous in letting them access the APIs.

pstnotpd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:46 am »
The guy who does the open source G2 editor is an old colleague of mine. As far as I know he reverse engineered the USB traffic between the G2 and the official editor without any help from the manufacturer. In the process he discovered some hidden modules in the firmware.

But I gather from Philippe that preset or multi configuration as such is not communicated outside in any way apart from the export/import, unless this is added in a new firmware update. As much as I would love to see that happen I don't have high hopes is will.....

But perhaps Arturia considers itself pushed now  ;D

mikefellh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:01:19 am »
IMHO and coming from owning a Nord G2 for years its strenght is also its weakness compared to the Origin. You will always need a computer to fully exploit the Nords whereas the Origin is a self contained machine which, in principle, doesn't need a computer attached for anything other that backups and import/export.

So yes, an Origin editor in any form would be brilliant, but I don't feel it should have been designed with that from the start.

And as a Nord G1 owner I feel that even moreso!  The G1 hasn't been supported for 15 years...to use its software you need an older, Windows 98 machine or Mac OS8/OS9...forget OSX!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:51:58 pm »
I could not get the G1 editor to run reliably even 10 years or more ago. Had to ditch it.

The Origin has a rather good and friendly editor already. It works just fine and will continue to do so indefinitely. I know, you folks are talking about a PC editor - I just had to make the point :)

I don't think a PC editor will help any kind of resurrection/marketing much (which won't happen anyway) . Of course Arturia has thought of PC editors (it has been mentioned for years), but making one, and the support it need in the firmware, is non-trivial and expensive. Actually we're lucky that's not how the Origin was designed - we might have been left with an unsupported PC editor, and no onboard editing capability, like the Gx. The origin did it right IMO.

My main point though, is that if Arturia were to invest in further Origin development, it should go towards completing and bug fixing the firmware.

pstnotpd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 09:16:01 pm »
@DrJustice

I definitely agree. I'd rather see any resources Arturia wants to still assign to the Origin spent on bugfixing and the much wanted cs80 and prophet templates.

What I would like to do, if we can convince Arturia to release the ogs specs, is to build an offline editing possibility for when the sequencer knobs start to fail.

After playing around with my revived desktop for a while I noticed that in a "live" setting the sequence pattern switching works like a charm and I actually don't do much knob twiddling on the sequences. If I can create sequences offline I can prepare a bunch of them in the empty banks to use in live playing, even if the knobs eventually fail.

AmyBLACK

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:22:35 am »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines