March 29, 2024, 07:40:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: External Sync and Ableton ends up in complete mess  (Read 2994 times)

karsten

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
External Sync and Ableton ends up in complete mess
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:04:52 pm »
I know Ableton is somewhat special when it goes to MIDI. But this time it's the combination of Beatstep Pro and Ableton Live 9 which results in a complete mess.

I have Live configured to send MIDI sync (MIDI Clock, MMC not possible in Live) to BSP via USB and BSP in ext. sync via USB. Unfortunately BSP echoes the incoming timing clock events (status 248) to it's USB port. Live will continue to echo the returned events to any other gear, resulting in twice as many timing clock events than expected.

I'd like to switch echoing MIDI Clock on the port that receives it off, but still send it to the others.

The second problem is. I have configured BSP to play (CC#1) and stop (CC#2) Live with it's transport buttons. When i start playback in Live it will send a MC-Start (250). BSP responds to this with the simulated button press of first stop, then play (in sum four CC-events with CC#1 with values 127 and 0, then CC#2 with values 127 and 0). This causes Live to stop and send a MC-Stop (252) resulting in simulated button presses of first play then stop. This is a pretty feedback loop which causes complete chaos.

With my two beatsteps (non-pro) this work's. I have configured the play and stop button to send a CC#1 (value 127) and CC#2 (value 127) to start and stop playback in Live. They don't return anything sync related to Live.

ADV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: External Sync and Ableton ends up in complete mess
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »
I'm glad to see it's not just mine. I have spent too much time trying different settings to get this to work properly with Ableton. I will stick to my original BS and will be returning the BSP. I guess I will try one again in a few months. Hopefully they can get everything straightened out because it can really be a great step sequencer.

Skeyelab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:58 pm »
@karsten, I'm not home, so I can't verify, but I think I solved this by disabling sync input on the BSP's USB Midi port in ableton.

karsten

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:38 pm »
Hi Skeyelab,
i used MIDIOx to monitor traffic between Live and my other MIDI gear. It seems that Live won't let through MIDI clock in either case. I think when ext sync is on (in Live) it will derive its own MIDI clock from the incoming signal and send it out to the configured ports.

Skeyelab

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:47:32 pm »
Hi Skeyelab,
i used MIDIOx to monitor traffic between Live and my other MIDI gear. It seems that Live won't let through MIDI clock in either case. I think when ext sync is on (in Live) it will derive its own MIDI clock from the incoming signal and send it out to the configured ports.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem.  but I had this happen too, until I went into the preferences of ableton and turned off "sync" on the BPS input ports.

I'm heading home soon and can test

breakfunknsoul

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:58 pm »
same here, tried a few different settings but end up having to make compromises in order for it all to work

sequentialx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:18:14 pm »
Syncing the BSP via USB with Ableton is far from perfect with 16th and 32th note repeating patterns.

When comparing several 16th note hihat recordings I get flanging and sometimes quasi polyrhythms.

Not sure but it seems jitter is reduced when having the MCC closed and less CPU activity.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines